FIFA 14 Thread

Dan

New favourite thing. One of the two 'highlights of the week' is Australia vs Ecuador (...ECUADOR!) or something with you playing as Ecuador. Paused the game to check the team and did a double take at seeing 'Baby Jeff' amongst the players on the quick formation thing on the left.

Maaaaan, is anybody else pretty sick of the Global Transfer Network?

It should've been an optional extra. Sometimes I want to know the overall of a player I'm thinking about signing. It doesn't help that, outside of the "First Team Quality" filter, there's really no way of assessing the players at all. I want to sign a 3rd choice fucking keeper, and your best suggestion is ter Stegen?!

What I do now I'm a few years in is go to edit player appearance in career mode and scour the top national teams for player names I don't recognise. Generally they're young players from the beginning of the game or new generated players. If they're good enough to be in the national side then they're obviously top class.

Just a little trick I've picked up to avoid the silly transfer network thing

It is pretty shit.

Although you can Google pretty much any player and it'll tell you their starting ability and potential ability in Career Mode.

Yeah, I use SoFifa a lot but that doesn't really help you after the first transfer window since growth is so variable.

What I do now I'm a few years in is go to edit player appearance in career mode and scour the top national teams for player names I don't recognise. Generally they're young players from the beginning of the game or new generated players. If they're good enough to be in the national side then they're obviously top class.

Top class players aren't the problem, it's finding the average ones for depth that's troubling me :P

It is pretty shit.

Although you can Google pretty much any player and it'll tell you their starting ability and potential ability in Career Mode.

Yeah, I use SoFifa a lot but that doesn't really help you after the first transfer window since growth is so variable.

Top class players aren't the problem, it's finding the average ones for depth that's troubling me :P

Get them young, sign them to 5 year deals with squad rotation as their status and they're top class and depth! :P

Like this gem I developed from my youth team.

spvnvb.jpg

Plus he's left footed, amazing at set pieces and never moans about not playing. So he's the perfect sub to change things up a bit!

So I got the game for like 20 euros yesterday and tried out my first pro clubs... "Naturally" I created a 5ft5 242lbs redheaded bastard who is a central defender (who majestically outjumps those 6ft7 bastards).

Anyways, first drop in match and in 2 minutes we are losing 0-1. The left back thinks he's Ronaldo sprinting down the touchline every time he got the ball, only giving up the ball when the other team takes it... And the striker/AMR are mostly on an island for most of the game.

So after 60 minutes the winger got the ball and the team went on a break, so I went ''fuck it'' and ran along with play running at the far post. Winger absolutely whiffs the cross but it somehow ends up on my redheaded obese midget's head and I tie the game up 1-1, getting my first goal, as a ridiculously undersized defender...

Later on we also make it 2-1 and I walk home as the player of the game...

Pretty chuffed overall if I must say so...

EDIT: also, anyone knows what the worst manageable team in the game is? I want to start off my first career by managing pure shit on a pitch.

Edited by Jasonmufc

Gerard Bi Goua Gohi Bi is a hell of a name.

I miss playing Clubs in this, the drop-in matches are just garbage, every single one I've played is just a swarm of people charging up the pitch no matter their position and everyone just clings to the ball til they're inevitably tackled.

I miss playing Clubs in this, the drop-in matches are just garbage, every single one I've played is just a swarm of people charging up the pitch no matter their position and everyone just clings to the ball til they're inevitably tackled.

That's every drop in match ever since they were invented.

Honestly, I don't understand how after at least four years of them, people still just run around like headless chickens.

That's every drop in match ever since they were invented.

Honestly, I don't understand how after at least four years of them, people still just run around like headless chickens.

They have spawned a variant ever since you could play as the goalie, where said goalie will just call for the ball repeatedly, put it for a corner and then try and save the corner to boost his stats.

Also, started a new career at World Class difficulty as Southampton. Only notable signing was Januazaj. Got some nice wins at Man U and a 3-0 home win against Chelsea but plenty of annoying draws and losses elsewhere so I'm somewhere around 7th or so. Board want's Europe so I'm worried this will have all been for naught if I get fired after the first season. It's weird though going from one career where I was begging for a player rated 80+ and now I just have Gaston Ramirez rotting on the bench because Lallana is so good. Also, resisting every urge I have to sell Rickie Lambert. He's my top scorer by far and I'd probably be pretty screwed without him, as I found out when he got injured for a month, but the way this game screws with people over the age of about 28, and the seemingly random times they'll decide to retire, makes it hard to turn down upwards of 5-6m for him.

Took 6m from Leicster for Lambert in the end, when he's 32 by seasons end and I have Osvaldo to return who looks like he can do a similar job, I couldn't turn it down. Rodriguez stepped up though, 13 goals in the league in the end, not too shabby considering he probably spent half a season on the left wing.

Lost narrowly to Arsenal in the league cup and the same in the FA Cup to Man City. Was gonna win the QF with them but then the game made my defender screw up a clearance right to Fernandihno who belted one in from about 30 yards. Fucker.

Snuck into 5th on the last day of the season though after Ward-Prowse snatched a late winner against Man U. Think that beat out Arsenal who screwed themselves over by drawing away to Norwich. Liverpool ended up winning the title, I think, even though they sold Suarez. And I handed them one of like only 2 defeats. Really like the team, only disappointment is Wanyama who just feels off for some reason, seems to misplace a lot of his passes. I feel more confident with Rodolph Austin in the team. Loved him playing as Leeds so I drafted in for some added depth, only 400k and he's on peanuts. Just bundles of energy and great at breaking up play. Surprised how good Ward-Prowse is defensively too. Found him tracking back a lot to make a tackle and he popped up with a lot of important goals. Good lad and probably pretty cheap at the start of the game.

Lallana and Rodriguez even made the World Cup squad for England. Rodriguez got 2 goals there and Lallana got one but they were knocked out by me as the mighty Ivory Coast. Drogba ended up down at 73 ovr when he was 84 when I took over, so Bony led the line. Want to sign him for Southampton so I probably did myself no favours by banging them in with him along the way. Most interesting part of the Ivory Coast team is their starting goalkeeper, who has 2 stamina. 2! He played one game and was dead for the rest of the tournament. Was coasting against Switzerland in the first group game before a few lapses of concentration let them get two back. Managed to squeeze by Brazil 3-2 as well before resting the entire team against the Czechs, ground out a 1-0 win.

Smashed Romania in the Round of 16, beat England 3-0 in the Quarters, Portugal 2-0 in the semis and whooped Italy 4-0 in the final. All this despite the entire squad having negative form, so whatever Yaya Toure is, for example, like 85-87 or something, he was down to 84. Still a beast though, 3 goals and 5 assists in 7 games. Was the star alongside Bony who got 5 goals and Kalou who got 4 goals (2 in the final) and 4 assists. All hail the Ivory Coast!