(Spoilers) The thread where CALIFORNIA LOOOOVE~!

Plubby

Solid trade. I do like Matt Moulson, but I don't think it's a coincidence that he turns into this 30-goal scorer that nobody saw coming juuuust as John Tavares shows up in Long Island. It's also worth noting that Moulson's a UFA this year, in line for a BIG raise, and Charles Wang is notoriously stingy when it comes to the Islanders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P_A_Parenteau

Ah, got the stat that missed one of them backward.

Solid trade. I do like Matt Moulson, but I don't think it's a coincidence that he turns into this 30-goal scorer that nobody saw coming juuuust as John Tavares shows up in Long Island. It's also worth noting that Moulson's a UFA this year, in line for a BIG raise, and Charles Wang is notoriously stingy when it comes to the Islanders.

PA Parenteau: Really good at playing with people from that draft.

Ah, got the stat that missed one of them backward.

PA Parenteau: Really good at playing with people from that draft.

My point is more that people said "Oh yeah, PA Parenteau, really awesome pickup there, he was nothing but a scrub for Taveres to bank pucks in off", and since he's left he's actually doing just fine.

When you look at Vanek and Moulson, since Moulson started playing fulltime NHL minutes, he has 118 goals, which puts him 10th... that's ahead of Vanek, at 18th with 110, and Taveres, at 14 with 116. Taveres and Vanek have better assist numbers but for a chunk of that time Vanek was playing with Jason Pominville and Derek Roy, whereas Moulson had Taveres and 140 games of PA The Plugin.

I think this was a silly deal for New York unless they think they have a good shot at resigning Vanek.

I dunno what kind of statement they're trying to make.

Unless this is their statement:

b7e.jpg

Man, Dan Cloutier wasn't that bad. There was a point when our goaltending was Arturs Irbe -> Sean Burke/Garth Snow. At least Dan Cloutier could win in the regular season.

I think Buffalo made out well in the deal. I see Vanek as a slight upgrade on Moulson, but this deal doesn't address the real needs of the Islanders. Plus, Buffalo gets a first round pick that could be a top ten pick in the draft.

The Islanders overpaid for Vanek. A straight deal of Vanek for Moulson would have been more appropriate, so props to Darcy Regier on that one. Not only does he get a younger player with more of a potential future in Buffalo, but he also gets a first round and second round pick.

Moulson also makes less than Vanek right now, and I imagine that the new contracts they sign will look similar in dollar amounts.

So, this one is a win for Buffalo.

Please. They don't get Vanek for Moulson because Moulson has no track record of producing before he bro'd up with Tavares. And I think you're confusing Moulson with somebody else because Moulson is two months OLDER than Vanek. Do some research.

Then I'm wrong. Oops. No big deal. My mistake comes from the fact that Vanek's been in the spotlight longer.

I still think Buffalo gets the better end of the deal though, with the draft picks. Unless Vanek really picks up his game playing on the Island.

Plus, Buffalo can flip Moulson at the deadline for even more draft picks. It's the first really good move by the Sabres in awhile.

Even if Vanek is awesome in New York, I doubt the Islanders will make the playoffs. Not with the new playoff seeding.

Some interesting details have emerged regarding Sunday's blockbuster trade between the Buffalo Sabres and New York Islanders involving forwards Thomas Vanek and Matt Moulson.

As reported on Tuesday by TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie, Vanek's former team the Sabres will retain approximately $1.4 million - or roughly 20 per cent - of what's left of the $6.4 million he is still owed in the final year of his contract.

TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun added Tuesday that if the 2014 first-round draft pick acquired by Buffalo in the deal ends up being a Top 10 selection in June, the Islanders would have the option to defer the pick to the 2015 draft.