(Spoilers) The thread where CALIFORNIA LOOOOVE~!

Plubby

Ilya Kovalchuk has announced his retirement.

What.

The.

Fuck.

Unreal. I'm in absolute shock. We don't even have our pick for next season.

Gonna be a 5 long years at the Prudential Center. :(

Fixed.

but yeah, sucks so much to be a Devil's fan.

He wants to raise his family in Russia, apparently. Devils aren't really on the hook for much of his salary (a few hundred thousand each year) because he's just walking away from it. So the bonus for them is that they gain a lot of cap space, which actually would have been more helpful had he retired about a week and a half ago.

He wants to raise his family in Russia, apparently. Devils aren't really on the hook for much of his salary (a few hundred thousand each year) because he's just walking away from it. So the bonus for them is that they gain a lot of cap space, which actually would have been more helpful had he retired about a week and a half ago.

Think he waited to retire on purpose to screw the New Jersey Devils?

Doubtful, they're not really screwed over by it. They lose their best player and there's no downplaying that, but they're also free of an absurd, debilitating contract that they would have probably shouldered for the whole term because he's so good.

They also lose a first round pick this year. Best player gone + Aging Marty=top 5 pick down the drain

Insane stuff. A player literally in his prime, just what, 2? 3? years into a 15 year contract, and he's just gone.

If he would've waited a few more years, they would've had to eat $3.6 against the cap for a bunch of years, so he's saving them some trouble there. Still though, what a kick in the balls for the Devils.

That puts Rask tied with the highest paid Goalie - Rinne. I'm not sure how I feel about this because I'm sure Lundqvist is now going to demand a lot more than his current 6.8 million.