The Marvel Cinematic Universe TV Thread

Your Mom

Re: this talk about when the show is set in correlation to the movies.

Haven't started watching it yet but I'm quite excited; however, I'm pretty positive it's set before Iron Man 3 & The Avengers. Would be confused if not-- what happens with Coulson in The Avengers, plus Iron Man 3 being set AFTER Avengers, would spell that to me fairly clearly. Unless they retconned what happened to him anyway.

Guess I'd find out if I watched it, huh? Probably should do that :shifty:

Re: this talk about when the show is set in correlation to the movies.

Haven't started watching it yet but I'm quite excited; however, I'm pretty positive it's set before Iron Man 3 & The Avengers. Would be confused if not-- what happens with Coulson in The Avengers, plus Iron Man 3 being set AFTER Avengers, would spell that to me fairly clearly. Unless they retconned what happened to him anyway.

Guess I'd find out if I watched it, huh? Probably should do that :shifty:

I believe it's set after those two, they mention "the battle of New York" several times and I believe the first episode mentions Extremis, which was only shown in Iron Man 3. But yeah, definitely after the Avengers (they also mention what happened to Coulson).

Edited by Johnny Latino Heat

Having Extremis on the show doesn't mean that it has to be after Iron Man 3. If they mentioned how Iron Man stopped the Mandarin or anything like that, then I could definitely say that it is after Iron Man 3. However, it isn't mentioned at all, leaving it somewhat ambiguous as to when the show is set.

The talk of the Battle of New York though, is much more concrete evidence that the show takes place after Avengers. Also, the how and why of Coulson is probably the most intriguing thing about the show.

I figure it takes place between Avengers and Iron Man 3. The Battle of New York is a recent thing, but Extremis is unknown. It'd make sense since in Iron Man 3, SHIELD seemed to know something about Extremis

Just realized that if Natalie Morales did audition for this show as rumored, she would have without a doubt have been auditioning to play Skye, and she would have been so much better than Chloe Bennet at that part. I can't believe they dropped the ball on Wendy Watson, Agent of SHIELD :(

I just watched this weeks episode yesterday. I really don't see what was so bad about it?

I mean, the main story was kind of lame, Scorcher is definitely the epitome of an early season one monster of the week (He'd have fit pretty well in early Smallville, let's just say...), but otherwise we finally got some character development with Skye and an explanation for Coulson pretty much being "oh, okay, she's not a spy." twenty seconds after meeting her.

Anyone else notice the Buffy character archetypes are basically the same in this show? You've got the lead girl, the dorky girl, the dorky guy, the badass guy, the old guy.

We'll just ignore the flaw in my comparison that is Melinda.

I thought the hacker guy character was the most leaden, awful character the show's done yet. I do not buy his existence.

Also the Skye reveal was about as generic as can possibly be.

Problem is with the show currently..it does not feel "Marvel" big. I understand that you need to draw the line of superhero cameos etc but still, in it's own right, the show needs to be bigger and more bolder than any other show on TV right now (barring maybe The Walking Dead)

Other than the effects, it just feels like Mutant-X with more broader appeal (in terms of the scope of the movies)

The Skye reveal was really generic and was hoping that they'd build up the intrigue a bit more before flat out revealing why she's there.

Eh, it wasn't the best it could've been, but I was just really happy to see some actual character development and an episode where we don't try and squeeze in little bits of every character.

I wish this show was as good as Arrow. Now thats a fine comic related show.

This is totally spot on, though. But to be fair, Arrow hadn't got good this early, so hopefully SHIELD follows suit.

Sadly, I have to agree with Ant (!), it's really lacking the broader story right now. It's pretty typical Monster of the Week at this point, like early Supernatural. It really needs to play the Arrow card and start building up some central story and give us some villains to put towards this faceless organization. Take a look at Buffy - The Master was prominent through out, so it was super fucking exciting to see her square off with him in the end of season one... so far, we've got nothing of the sort here, so I'm not that psyched.

Again, I won't condemn it this early, especially knowing how bad to good Arrow went... but it definitely needs to show a little skin at this point, in terms of overarching plot. Not actual skin, because the "LOOK SKYE IN UNDERWEAR" thing was just a little sad. Like a plea for attention.

I think we can put to rest any questions about the timeline the show is happening on with this news about a Thor 2 crossover.

I'm pretty sure this is the type of stuff we all expected when the show was announced. Not quite sure how it'll work for people that don't see the movie but since I am, I don't care! :w00t:

I've been watching the show every week with my room mate and we went to watch the show this week and found out they took a break and honestly, I wasn't disappointed. The show isn't hooking me. I will probably continue to watch to finish the season but just nothing feels important. It's hard to have a TV show in an active universe where bigger shit happens and make it feel like your watching anything of consequence.

Edited by Universal

Huh, I think I actually know what the plot of this episode will be. I know Chris Hemsworth and Natalie Portman probably won't be there, but if it's Skarsgard or even Kat Dennings then I'll so mark out.

The link Livid provided did mention that no characters from Thor would show up, though, I'd assume that would mean no Kat Dennings or Skarsgard either, right?