EWB's Top 104 Artists 2013 - Results

METALMAN

I just love the intro to my propeller, plus the fact its the start of 'I've got no more stories about South Yorkshire so I'll just write a song about my penis' Alex Turner. Pretty Visitors is good too.

Another thing that makes me laugh about Arctic Monkeys is looking at the lyrics to "Fake Tales Of San Francisco" and then looking at the band now.

It's like Morrissey and "Paint A Vulgar Picture".

• Like 1

I have always had quite a complex relationship with Bruce Springsteen's music. It often seems like the product of graft rather than any particular form of inspiration. He doesn't have a great way with melody. The idea of a Bruce Springsteen show leaves me totally cold. False bonhomie, ten minute spoken word introductions to songs, shouting rather than singing. It would bore me terrifically. However, he's got a few special songs. However had a decent streak going from his second album to Born In The USA. Darkness On The Edge Of Town (the song) is one of the few times he delivered something truly inspired and atmospheric, so he pretty much gets a free pass for that. The album is pretty good too.

Daft Punk are nice. I never really got into any of their albums, but I like the odd song here and there.

Johnny Cash has done so much wonderful music, obviously. I think I'm a bit unusual in that I find the American recordings a bit boring for the most part, but the prison albums and that sort of thing are splendid.

I've listened to all of The National albums. They've all been quite good, but none has totally won me over. They do seem like they would be growers, so maybe I should listen to them a bit more.

Who is Bruce Springfield?!?

Springsteen's off-brand dollar store equivalent, featuring hit songs "Born in America," "Lightning Street," and "Made to Run."

Springsteen is someone whose songs I generally enjoy, but I almost always like them better performed by other people. Dar Williams's cover of "Highway Patrolman" is a great example.

The greatest Johnny Cash song.

That San Bernardino made me think they were some kind of Final Fantasy type nonsense.

Owen Pallet has done some work with tMG actually. :shifty:

There is also

And occasionally John Darnielle will cover Ace of Bass:

• Like 1

Bruce Springsteen... I like a lot of his music but Working on a Dream and Wrecking Ball.. Meh.

And before I forget the Mountain Goats have a song about Ox Baker:

And Greg Valentine:

• Like 1

The problem with lists like these is very much a case of "what have you done for me lately". If someone drops a record, they ascend. If it's a good record, they skyrocket. If they do nothing, they fall.

He's really gotta get off his ass and put some new material out. He's been riding on the same old shit for like a decade now.

• Like 1