EWB's Top 104 Artists 2013 - Results

METALMAN

I have tried really, really hard to like the Decemberists, but I just can't. You'd think they'd be right up my alley, but beyond "The Mariner's Revenge Song" (which is amazing) I've never been able to like them much.

Pixies are really great. Kim Deal is just the bestest, whether it's the Pixies or the Breeders (though I prefer the Breeders).

I like all 4 of those groups in varying ways and I have varying opinions of them as musicians. Pink Floyd are very self-indulgent, which I usually hate, but they're the best at being self-indulgent. Especially in their pre-Dark Side days when they were trying to come together as a band. The Stones are one of the coolest bands ever, who admittedly have been riding a string of great songs from the 60s and 70s ever since but fuck when they were good there was almost no match for them.

Pixies I adore, they have music that sounds as fresh today as it did 25 years ago. The Decemberists were one of the early indie/folk groups to break out and they deserved that because of how good their early music was. They've been riding on largely the same sort of image and sound for 8-9 years now, but they have some great tunes.

I am never quite sure what I think of the Pixies. I seldom listen to one of their albums in one sitting, because Pixies song followed by Pixies song reveals how limited and formulaic they were. But a Pixies song in isolation? I'll more than likely thoroughly enjoy it.

I like The Crane Wife by The Decemberists. It's a really good album. It made me want to try out the rest of their stuff but I didn't enjoy it quite as much. But The Crane Wife is good. More bands need to try and emulate the Canterbury Sound.

I'm never really sure what to think of Pink Floyd. Piper At a The Gates Of Dawn is my favourite of their albums, and they were good with Sydney Bazza. But over the last few years I've warmed towards some of their music. Their three most popular albums -DSOTM, WYWH, Wall - are largely boring. However, they have good albums here and there. I like Meddle and I quite like Ummagumma. From the late seventies, I like Animals. Dogs is a good song, and one of the very few long ones that they actually pulled off.

Rolling Stones are really good, great songs and often exciting. They were a good blues covers act in the early 60s, a very good pop band in the mid 60s and stupendous from 68-72, where they were probably the best band in the world. My favourite album is Exile On Main Street. Quite a lot of people hate it but I love it. I love the atmosphere and the myth of the album. I listened to,it a lot when I was in Africa so it still reminds me of that ice time. I've recently come to realise they didn't start immediately being shit after Exile. Goats Head Soup is okay. Black and Blue is very good. Some Girls are very good. They were a great live band once, but a bit embarrassing now. I like Keith Richards but he is a bit of a twat going on about how he's cool and loves drugs while charging £300 for tickets,

What's the best entry point for Scott Walker (fnarr fnarr)? I'm well acquainted with his voice, have heard the obvious Brel stuff, and really enjoyed the documentary about his later stuff (is it Tilt where he's smashing meat with hammers?), but have never listened to an album all the way through. I'm thinking earlier sounding bits, so is it just the standard 'get Scott 4'?

Not really a bad grouping. I can't say I care much about Paramore, but Sigur Ros, Motorhead and Aphex Twin are all alright by me.

Clash are generally fantastic of course although some of their stuff really isn't that wonderful. However at their very best they are one of the very best. "Rudie Can't Fail", "Bankrobber" and "White Man in Hammersmith Palais" are so ridiculously amazing.

I have huge love for Sigur Ros. They're magical. One of my favourites.

Richard James is a master craftsman. Not listened to Aphex Twin in ages though but he saw me through university quite happily and he's so so so so good.

I voted for Paramore but honestly the vote was more for Hayley Williams than the band.Love listening to her sing.
Link
Link

I can't stand Paramore, I love Sigur Ros, Motorhead are great at what they do, and holy shit Aphex Twin deserves every bit of praise imaginable. Richard James is one of the people in music I consider an absolute genius. SAW 85-92 was the official album of me doing homework throughout a good year or two in high school. I don't listen to him as much as I used to because I've heard everything, but so much music that came after him (or Autechre for the same reason) wears the influence of Aphex Twin prominently.

Fucking Motorhead, it's never been any secret that I'm a huge fan, they're among my favorite bands. I believe that they are epitome of the hard ass, beer swilling, drug taking, we are the baddest mother fuckers brand of rock and roll. They've been criticized for sticking with the same formula since their inception, but honestly, what the fuck do you expect Motorhead to do? Add a synth? Maybe a lute or a harp? It's fucking Motorhead, they shouldn't be changing their style, they're not that type of band. They go out, they kick ass, and they're fucking great for it, no need to change a formula that has worked for years. That said, songs like 1916 and Whorehouse Blues which do deviate from their usual hard rocking sound, have been very good songs in their own right.

I have tried really, really hard to like the Decemberists, but I just can't. You'd think they'd be right up my alley, but beyond "The Mariner's Revenge Song" (which is amazing) I've never been able to like them much.

This saddens me and I want to change this but I have to go to work in a minute and haven't got the time to post hundreds of youtube links. Still, listen to 'The Crane Wife' trilogy, 'California One/Youth & Beauty Brigade' and 'I Was Meant for the Stage' and like them.

Seriously though, The Decemberists are my second favourite band of all time ever.

Paramore are okay, I guess. They are an easy target but whatshername is actually a good singer and they can put together a catchy song. That Crushcrushcrush one they did is genuinely pretty good. I think I have it on my iPod.

Sigur Ros are strange for me. They are often sublime but I have to be in a very specific state of mind to enjoy them. And a lot of their music is, let's face it, a load of dull nothing. That being said, Takk is a marvellous album and an instance where they got everything right. For that, they are good guys. Actually, everything they've done until about five years ago is more or less good. It's only recently that they;ve been dreadful. But Takk, is amazing. All is forgiven.

I love Motorhead. I love the No Sleep To Hammersmith album. Its essentially the same song over and over again but it just works. It's the sound. Nobody else can do that sort of thing anywhere near as well It's Lemmy's big fat chords on his bass. Wonderful.

Aphex Twin is good. I used to always prefer the Richard D. James album. As of late I prefer Selected Ambient Works. It's all good.

Paramore is pretty good. I guess.

(btw, for people who for some reason are reading this post in the future: my username at the time was set to "hayley williaMs T Forbes" and hence the joke in this post. obv if my name is in honour of the lead singer of a band, I prob think that band is more than just "pretty good"! haha!)

• Like 1