EWB's Top 104 Artists 2013 - Results

METALMAN

A Day to Remember? Machine Head?! Seriously? Urgh. Also, I keep confusing A Day to Remember with Today is the Day, which is annoying because the first one is shit and the latter is awesome. :shifty:

Anyways, I never heard more than a few Tallest Man on Earth tracks, never bothered with him afterwards. Not because he was bad, just because I had a lot of other stuff to listen to at the time. Velvet Underground are great however, even though I have only ever heard The Velvet Underground & Nico and White Light/White Heat. Both of those albums have some fantastic stuff on them; "Sister Ray" gets me every time.

The Tallest Man Of Earth is great - a couple of my friends from Sweden are really, really into him. I've not personally listened to him a lot, but I remember the first song I heard by him absolutely blew me away. I need to listen to more, I have one or two of his albums somewhere.

A Day To Remember and Machine Head are absolutely awful.

The Velvet Underground are one of the greatest bands of all time, I absolutely adore them. Been listening to them a lot since Lou Reed died but, thinking about it, I listen to them quite often anyway. Awesome band.

I've been trying with The Fall. They ARE pretty tough to get into because there's been so much output from so many different line-ups over the years but if anything that has made me more forgiving if there are tracks I don't like.

Ultimately though (and perhaps strangely) it was this that won me over to "them".

I don't think I've ever listened to The Tallest Man On Earth, though I do have a song on my itunes from a label sampler.

A Day To Remember aren't very good. They did a decent cover of Kelly Clarkson's Since U Been Gone though.

I don't like Machine Head. One of my friends does though, so I went along to see them with him. Was boring.

Velvet Underground are awfully good. I don't revere them as the one of the most influential bands ever as some people do, but they had a lot of good songs. By my reckoning there are two Velvet Undergrounds: the one that did catchy lo-fi pop songs, and the one that made "experimental" rackets. Both of them had their moments, except the latter didn't really. Sister Ray is a dirge that I will be happy never to hear again in my life, while the banana album would be one of my favourites were it not for the last two tracks. My favourite album is probably Loaded. That's partially down to it being recorded without John Cale's welsh vowels and his viola, and partially because it is packed with top choons.

Yay, The Tallest Man. Unfortunately he's coming to Copenhagen tomorrow (I think), but I didn't manage to nab tickets to him because of supreme laziness. He makes pretty regular trips to Australia, so I guess I'll have to catch him there. I'm obviously a big fan, and pretty happy to see him snag a spot on the list.

I don't really know who Laura Marling is. I mean, I've heard the name a hundred times from when she was "THIS YEAR'S BIG NEW ACT" or whatever. One of the people the BBC picks out to be a huge star for the next year and then you never hear of them again. I have one of her songs on my iPod. I must have listened to it at least once, but buggered if I can remember it. I've probably heard her without realising it.

Childish Gambino's cool. I know people who absolutely swear by him as one of the best rappers out there, which he's not, but his last album was solid, and had some really cool lyrics here and there. I'm not very good at talking about rap.

Lacuna Coil are really a bit shit. When I was about 14 or 15 I started listening to a lot of female-fronted heavy metal bands, the likes of Lacuna Coil, Within Temptation, Nightwish and so on...and while there's some stuff in that sort of weird genre they fall into together that works quite well, it's mostly naff. I've not even thought about Lacuna Coil in years, I'm amazed they're still remotely relevant enough to have made the list. Forgettable tripe.

I'm not sure I know who Janelle Monae is. I've seen the album in shops, I've heard the name. If I've heard any of her music, I don't know about it.

I like Laura Marling's first two albums. Her latter two are a bit boring so I haven't listened to them much. The best thing she's ever done was that Mystery Jets video I posted. That album where she adopted an "American" accent was a bit annoying.

Childish Gambino is boring.

Lacuna Coil are incredibly boring.

Janelle Monae is mostly excellent and exciting to listen to. For me, The Archandroid is one of very few albums to stand out as being excellent upon first listen. It's by no means flawless, but the highs are very high indeed. The album that came out this year is not quite as instant, but still good.

Laura Marling is good at what she does.

Childish Gambino is good at what he does.

Lacuna Coil are shit at being shit.

Janelle Monae is one of the best at what she does.

So you're saying Lacuna Coil are great then?

Awww mannn... I didn't catch that. I meant to type good at being shit.

I cannot stress enough how great Janelle Monae is live. Her showmanship is ridiculous and she hits the balance between singing and performing so well. I wish I could go back in time and slap myself for not seeing her when she opened for Of Montreal a couple years ago just so I could have heard all the ArchAndroid tracks that I wasn't able to hear her do last month (she only did "Cold War," "Tightrope," and "Come Alive," plus "Sincerely Jane" off of Metropolis). Especially "Locked Inside" which is magic and is probably even moreso in person.