EWB's Top 104 Artists 2013 - Results

METALMAN

Never heard a Lucksmiths track; honestly, never even heard of them outside of Skummy mentioning them. What do they play? However, I have heard of Interpol... I just still haven't heard Turn on the Bright Lights even though everyone and their dog has told me to listen to that album.

I haven't listened to Rage Against the Machine in ages but I wouldn't be surprised if I still like them. They were sort of the first politically-fueled band I regularly listened to (like every other teenager) but luckily, I ended up enjoying the music more than being all "URGH ANARCHISM AND RIOTING FUCK THE POLICE UNGH". Still haven't figured out why Tom Morello is held in such high esteem, though; I mean, he is a good guitarist but he isn't that good.

I don't care one bit about Lady Gaga.

The Lucksmiths are pretty good. I only have two of their albums, but I enjoy both. It is good music for morning walks.

I like Lady Gaga. I suspect that her music career - in terms of bothering the charts - might be on a downward trajectory though. Her newest album was so bad. I expected something called "Artpop" to betray a little bit of creativity. Instead it was just the same old electro-pop bangers. Still, and I know I've been saying this every year, I believe she will make a really good album someday. Not that it matters too much. She's in the singles game and she has more than enough fantastic songs. It's just that none are off the new album.

I believe that in pop music, character is just as important as music. Lady Gaga is good at this. She's self-deprecating, funny and smart. So much so that I would be happy to go for a drink with her, providing that she pays. She's a real breath of fresh air compared to the vapid likes of Ed Sheeran, Beyoncé and 1D.

Interpol are okay. I actually preferred the album they did with the goat to their earlier stuff, but none of it has really meant that much to me and I'm really surprised to see them here.

I'm only really familiar with Rage Against The Machine's first album. About half of the songs on that are boring. However, the other half have so many fantastic riffs and grooves that it doesn't really matter what the singer is yelping over the top. I enjoy those songs from time to time.

• Like 2

I can't stand Green Day. I always used to find myself, after American Idiot came out, saying "oh, but some of their old stuff is alright". But, you know what? It's not. It's pretty much all shit too, just not as shit. Even before you get into how hypocritical they are with all their faux-punk posturing while playing corporate events, they're just not very good. Dull, uninspiring tripe.

I appreciate that System Of A Down have at least, initially at first, tried to do something different within the framework of heavy metal, but they're not really for me. Though maybe I'd like them a lot more if I hadn't heard Chop Suey played to death for years.

I don't like Nightwish. Pretty much what I said about Lacuna Coil, rinse and repeat. Though Nightwish probably are better. Very, very melodramatic, too, which I always find a bit silly and off-putting. Lighten up, guys and girl!

I genuinely have no idea who or what Disclosure are.

The Lucksmiths are probably my favourite band, or certainly up there. Enormously under-rated, I can't understand how they never got bigger than they were. Some of the best lyrics I've ever heard, and one of the only bands who I can genuinely say I don't think ever had a bad album and who got better and better with every album, with arguably only their final album being a step down in quality after "Warmer Corners"; but even then, it was still brilliant. I absolutely adore them, and I'm still contemplating getting a tattoo based on one of their songs.

I'm very very out of touch with pop music - and I kind of like that. It means that the stuff I'm told is awful because it's overplayed, I never really actually hear. I don't watch TV, I don't listen to the radio much any more, and I hardly ever go to clubs. Chart music is a foreign country to me. Which is kind of handy, because some of it is brilliant, so when I do get to hear it, it tends to be without the baggage associated with what I'm "supposed" to think about the band or artist making it. As far as Lady Gaga is concerned; I like the first few singles, but that's all I really know. Poker Face was good, and Just Dance was a brilliant pop tune. Beyond that, I don't really know anything.

Interpol are fine. Surprised they made this list, though.

Rage Against The Machine are okay. I never got as into them as a lot of my friends did, but I've got a couple of their albums, and like some of their stuff. I never bought into them too much as a major political act, if only because I can't get over how inherently hilarious "FUCK YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME" is as an ineffectual act of rebellion. Some of their riffs are very, very cool, and that pretty much carries it; they're at their best when they're bordering on funky. If I ever play anything by them when I'm DJing metal nights, it tends to be "Sleep Now In The Fire" these days.

I like Lady Gaga. I have a Lady Gaga shirt somewhere! I think I either got drunk and left it at a party, or I let someone else wear it and never got it back. It was too small for me anyway.

Interpol's okay.

I don't really know The Lucksmiths.

RATM's okay. I think my burned copy of their self-titled was my brother's first introduction to "heavier" music, and it concerned my mother because of the lyrics to Killing In The Name. I'm the worst influence.

I believe that in pop music, character is just as important as music. Lady Gaga is good at this. She's self-deprecating, funny and smart. So much so that I would be happy to go for a drink with her, providing that she pays. She's a real breath of fresh air compared to the vapid likes of Ed Sheeran, Beyoncé and 1D.

Yeah, her SNL hosting gig was a helpful reminder of the fact that she's genuinely funny. She's been lost in the fog of art-school pretentiousness too much this year and hopefully the fact that Artpop is so underwhelming will be a wake-up call.

"Just Dance" remains one of the best pop singles of the last decade, anyway.

• Like 3

Skummy summed up my sentiment on Green Day (as he often does on certain bands). I used to think "Eh Dookie is alright" but then I realized that I don't like any of their music. It's like my dad and the Police, he used to say "I used to think I liked them, but they're garbage".

And RATM, used to love them in the old days, I was fucking obsessed really. Now, they're decent enough, good riffs but I'm not a big fan of Zach De Larocha. I give Tom Morello credit for carving out a niche as a guitar player without being a solo wank artist. He has his own defined sound that is his and his alone. Their cover of Renegades of Funk is really good, probably their best song in all honesty.

I've never heard the Lucksmiths, what's their story? I've seen some folks hold them in high regard around here, what are they like?