EWB's Top 104 Artists 2013 - Results

METALMAN

Scott Walker and Neil Young are both absolutely incredible, Walker especially. Older blokes still producing amazing music, and taking risks, at their age, which is always good to see. Music doesn't have to be a young man's game. I could write loads more - Scott Walker's one of my all-time favourites - but I'll leave it at that for now.

Rob Zombie, on the other hand, is a bit naff. Similar to what I said about System Of A Down; I appreciate that he's trying to do heavy metal differently than the cookie-cutter way most bands approach it, and that's great. But something just falls flat; I like some White Zombie stuff, and I liked "Sinister Urge", still do in a kind of nostalgic way, but nothing he's done since then has grabbed me. He just seems to be watering down the same concept.

The Clash are good. I don't really listen to them any more, and some of their songs and albums I'd never choose to go out of my way to listen to any more, but when they're good, they're great. "Guns Of Brixton" is one of my favourite songs ever. That said, I don't find them half as interesting or as exciting as I did when I was a teenager - whether I'm just burned out on them, have moved on from listening to "punk" all that much, or because I find them musically and ideologically a whole lot less engaging than I used to think they were, I don't know, but the magic kind of wore off for me in a way that it doesn't for many other bands. I'd rather listen to Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros, in all honesty.

Rob Zombie got me into rock music and I've never stopped being a fan. Love that man and his music to death.

This is the first year in some time that I've not voted for Scott Walker. I've not listened to him for a little while and didn't really get into his most recent album. Still, he's absolutely fantastic. One of few performers that could reasonably be described as unique. I'll need to listen to him again soon.

This was the first time I began to doubt my vote counting, because I'm pretty sure I voted Neil Young at number one. The reason I did so is because I can't think of anyone else who has had so many excellent albums over such a long time period. I listened to a hell of a lot of albums in 2012. Psychedelic Pill was my favourite, and it's one of the best of his career. I went to see Neil Young & Crazy Horse live in July this year. It was one of the best gigs I've ever seen. Déja Vu, After The Gold Rush, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, Harvest, Live At Fillmore East Live At Massey Hall, On The Beach, Psychedelic Pill, Rust Never Sleeps and Tonight's The Night are ten excellent albums, and there are plenty more good ones as well.

I don't know Rob Zombie. My friend who only likes bad music likes him though, so I will assume he is bad.

As much as I like The Clash, it is pretty much restricted to their self-titled, London Calling and a few singles. They did a lot of boring stuff. But the good stuff is exciting and fun. I used to be quite annoyed at all their sloganeering and outlaw posturing but I've turned right round now. It makes it exciting, it gives the illusion that it means something and the uniforms looked good. It doesn't matter if it's genuine or not. It's showbiz, innit? And some really good tunes.

I like metalman's assessment of the Clash, London Calling and the self titled are great albums. They did have some good stuff on Give them Enough Rope and Super Black Market Clash, but as for the "big three" (going with them, Ramones, and Sex Pistols) they don't excite me as the other two do. Still, I'd consider myself a big fan of the Clash and they'll probably always be a band that I enjoy listening to. London Calling is probably among my favorite album covers ever.

White Zombie did some good things, but Rob Zombie solo is boring. Have any of you noticed how often Rob Zombie says "Yeah" in his songs? He punctuates everything with a Yeah, it's silly.

• Like 1

Scott Walker is amazing. I am so glad to have been introduced to his music through here, thanks for that Skummy. Tilt is a fantastic effort, and it was one of my favorite albums for a while; however, I have also really fallen in love with his early stuff, Scott 1-4 and 'Til the Band Comes In. Just a fantastic and uniquely creative performer.

I have only heard a few songs from Neil Young, which surprises me because I know of his massive output and reputation for quality and I am sure I'll like his stuff but, like so many others on the list, I have way too much music that I want to listen to and there just is not enough time in the day to get about everything. The same goes for The Clash.

I liked Rob Zombie ages ago; I guess I could still jam along to a few of his tracks but I am not at all interested in seeking out his music anymore. More interested in listening to what White Zombie put out, seeing as I have never heard any of that.

No.

Anyway, I love Neil Young. I've been told I'd like Scott Walker, I should probably check him out. Rob Zombie's okay. The Clash are okay too, but definitely by least favorite of the "big three". London Calling's good though.

I could keep posting Neil Young songs forever.

• Like 1

I like The Pixies quite a lot. Not as much as some, or as much as I used to. When I was about 15/16, I got really behind the idea that The Pixies were this amazing great band that should have been a bigger deal than they were, but got ripped off by other people doing their shit, and how without The Pixies, MODERN MUSIC AS WE KNOW IT wouldn't exist. Nowadays, I think that's all a bit silly, but they were good. Were being the operative word - despite the fact that I'm the kind of guy who went to see The Breeders this year, and thoroughly enjoyed it, I have no interest whatsoever in whatever The Pixies are up to now. They did some lovely stuff back then, and that'll do. I don't rate them nearly as highly as I once did, and it's been years since I last listened to one of their albums all the way through, but they have the odd song I bloody well adore. Also, when my youngest niece was born, I bought her a CD of lullaby renditions of Pixies songs, and it's amazing.

Good choice with Motherbanger, fucking love that.

I don't much like Pink Floyd. I adore Syd Barrett so, by extension, don't mind A Saucerful Of Secrets - though I think it's by far the least interesting thing Syd did. Beyond that, with a few exceptions, I find Pink Floyd incredibly dull and phenomenally self-indulgent.

I like The Decemberists, but I'm genuinely surprised to see them make the list - not because I'm surprised other people like them, but because I'm surprised that they're still remotely relevant. I've not even thought about them in years. They're a bit silly and po-faced, but have a nice tune here and there.

The Rolling Stones are great. They are, in many ways, the antithesis of what I like in music - they keep standing still instead of moving forward, relying on the old hits instead of pushing boundaries, and basically being an indulgent nostalgia act rather than doing anything fresh and interesting. But fuck it. Keith Richards is one of the coolest motherfuckers on the planet, and wrote some fucking mindblowing tunes.