EWB's Top 104 Artists 2013 - Results

METALMAN

Our local corporate alternative station, after experiencing a hilarious death in like 2004 where it was immediately transitioned into a Latin music station

I hated that day. I used to come home from school every day and listen to HFS. Then one day...Latin music. Confused, I turned to 98 Rock (fuck 98 Rock) and Mickey and Amelia were on (fuck Mickey and Amelia) and they were all "AY-YAI-YAI! ARRIBA! BIENVENIDOS HFS LISTENERS!"

That's when I stopped listening to the radio.

I'm really amazed at how far internet radio has come in cars in just the past year on a related note. We really are increasingly close to the end of traditional FM and AM radio. You can access everything you want online already, it's just a matter of cementing at as 24/7 at your fingertips. It's basically standard in new cars already. Remember how as recently as 2 years ago people were adamant smartphones and tablets wouldn't become the norm? I feel like that's where we are with the whole "internet on the go 24/7" idea.

Good crop of artists. I'm not overly fond of Arctic Monkeys, but all I've ever heard is singles. Never really been something that piqued my interest, but tMG, Timberlake and Soundgarden are all enough to make up for that.

It's hard to get excited about Justin Timberlake really. His second album wasn't really nice except from that What Goes Around one and Lovestoned. 20/20 Experiemce is okay but actually really fucking boring with not enough ideas to fit into long, long songs. The likes of Frank Ocean and Miguel do that style better than him. I didn't even bother with the sequel. Honestly, he's never done anything better than Rock Your Body or that one with Snoop Dogg.

I listened to a Soundgarden album for the first time ever recently . It was okay.

Arctic Monkeys are actually quite good. People always go on about their first album but it is probably one of their worst. So much filler and such a long album. If they cut it in half they'd have a real debut to remember. Second album was equally patchy, but it had Fluorescent Adolescent which is still excellent and witty and by far their best song. Then their third was shit. Then...:o their 4th album was actually mostly really good, but nobody really cared. Their new one is mostly good too, AND people care. The first three songs are really good, and quite different from what they've done before. I think it's okay to take them seriously now. Although Alex Turner plays the most ugly guitar these days.

The only Mountain Goats I've heard is San Bernardino, cause the late YI put it on one of his playlists. Even in the context of so much terrible YI pop-punk, this one was particularly bloody dreadful. So I've never bothered with The Mountain Goats since. But a lot of good guys here like them so I should probably give them another chance. What song should I listen to?

This Year, Dilaudid, Love Love Love, all off the album The Sunset Tree.

Old College Try, No Children, International Small Arms Traffic Blues, and See America Right off of Tallahassee.

Fall of the Star High School Running Back and The Best Ever Death Metal Band Out Of Denton off of All Hail West Texas.

Damn These Vampires off of All Eternals Deck.

I'm sure LD and Hobo can probably offer way more. Those are just some of my favorites.

• Like 1

Also you kind of have to keep in mind that a lot of their albums have themes. The Sunset Tree, for instance, focuses a lot on John Darnielle's childhood and the domestic abuse he suffered at the hands of his stepfather. And Tallahassee is about the "Alpha Couple", recurring characters in a lot of his work that are married and constantly on the edge of divorce.

• Like 1

I think I have the same view on Arctic Monkeys as Andy (4th one is definitely the best), with the exception being that I actually like Humbug. It's really good! If you see setlists for current gigs they still play 3 or 4 songs off it, I think there was just a sad reaction from folk who wanted the first album over and over.