EWB's Top 104 Artists 2013 - Results

METALMAN

I have never heard a single Patty Griffin song. Ever. Something tells me though that I would like her music, simply based on the people who have recommended me her. What is a good album to get? I know a few of you, or at least Sousa, likes her. Anyways, I couldn't care less about TV On The Radio but Leonard Cohen and Fleetwood Mac are awesome.

Honestly, aside from Flaming Red (which is... still pretty okay) and the overproduction on Impossible Dream (TOO MANY NOISES), all of Patty's albums are pretty great. My favorite is Living with Ghosts, but it's ostensibly just a demo with some production--just her and a guitar. American Kid and Children Running Through (her two most recent standard studio albums) are both a good starting point. She's a little bit Emmylou Harris and a little bit The Things About The Dixie Chicks That Don't Suck, and she's collaborated with both. She's got a really amazing voice, though.

It is country, and I know some people have a kneejerk reaction against country, but it's not post-Shania Twain Nashville pap.

A few of my favorite tracks: "Forgiveness", "Making Pies", "Top of the World", "Stay on the Ride", "Trapeze", "Ohio", "Irish Boy"

• Like 1

It is country, and I know some people have a kneejerk reaction against country, but it's not post-Shania Twain Nashville pap.

Well, since I decided to dig into early Kris Kristofferson, Waylon Jennings, Hank Williams and a bit of Johnny Cash, country that isn't pop-pap rather causes the opposite of a kneejerk reaction.

• Like 2

Hooray for Boards of Canada (my first to make the list this time around) and hooray for the use of Higitus Figitus from The Sword in The Stone. Otherwise, meh.

HIGH FIVE BOC BROTHER!

Boards of Canada are my favorite musicians ever. I love them more than anything. They have been there for so many great moments in my life and helped me through sad moments. One day I'm getting a cat and naming it Geogaddi.

When I was working at Gamestation back in '07/'08, among the many CDs we had in-store were my copies of Geogaddi and The Campfire Headphase. Fortunately our manager loved a bit of BoC of a morning so pretty much every morning at 9am for 3 or 4 months we'd play through one of the two albums. Utter bliss with bleary eyes and a cup of tea I tell thee.

I'd say Dayvan Cowboy is still one of my favourite songs of all time. Sheer beauty.

Hooray for Boards of Canada (my first to make the list this time around) and hooray for the use of Higitus Figitus from The Sword in The Stone. Otherwise, meh.

HIGH FIVE BOC BROTHER!

Boards of Canada are my favorite musicians ever. I love them more than anything. They have been there for so many great moments in my life and helped me through sad moments. One day I'm getting a cat and naming it Geogaddi.

When I was working at Gamestation back in '07/'08, among the many CDs we had in-store were my copies of Geogaddi and The Campfire Headphase. Fortunately our manager loved a bit of BoC of a morning so pretty much every morning at 9am for 3 or 4 months we'd play through one of the two albums. Utter bliss with bleary eyes and a cup of tea I tell thee.

I'd say Dayvan Cowboy is still one of my favourite songs of all time. Sheer beauty.

I wasn't a massive fan of Campfire Headphase compared to Music Has the Right and Geogaddi (this is like me saying I prefer Ric Flair to Ricky Steamboat though), but Dayvan Cowboy certainly ranks high on my all-time songs. Not on the level of Roygbiv and Julie and Candy though.

I like The Mars Volta fine but they got a bit dull after awhile. I'll still listen to their stuff from time to time but those listens are becoming fewer and far between.

I don't know how many times I've confused Ty Segall with Beanie Sigel but it's a lot. Have minor interest in checking his stuff out but not a whole lot.

I enjoyed Electric Wizard a lot more when I was more into metal and stuff but they're still good. Can't say I have anything of their's now but that may change now that this list has reminded me of them.

No interest in Patty Griffin.

TV on the Radio is one of my favorites. Love them and would really love to see them live again. Can't believe it's been six years.

I haven't really listened to a lot of Leonard Cohen but it doesn't exactly seem like something I'd be super into. May give him a shot, though.

I like the odd song or two from Fleetwood Mac but that's about it.

I'm basically going to push that whole lot aside, just to get to Leonard Cohen - who was one of the most amazing live shows I have ever seen period. The man's music stands the test of time like no others, and when I'm in the mood to listen to some Cohen I can easily blaze through three or four hours before I've even realized.

You know where Stevie Nicks lives?

Lindsey Buckingham Palace

This is my new favourite joke. Kudos, sir.

I have absolutely no idea who Patty Griffin is. I shall probably have to rectify this, given the Emmylou Harris comparison.

TV On The Radio are nice enough, but can be fairly dull. They did a good Pixies cover, and have one or two songs I rather like, but also a lot of forgettable stuff. They did some fun collaboration stuff with Nine Inch Nails and Peter Murphy, but I never understood why they were there in the first place.

Leonard Cohen is a law unto himself. What can I say? He's fucking great. Phenomenal writer, singer, wit, everything about him I utterly love. Even at his absolute worst, there's something there that I love. I especially like how, judging from the last album, his voice will eventually become so low that it'll be outside the spectrum of human hearing.

Fleetwood Mac are good. Aside from the cheesy well-known stuff, "Man Of The World" is one of my all-time favourite songs. Beautiful, heart-rending stuff. Also the bassline from The Chain is the coolest thing in any song ever.

The Pillows are nice, though I haven't listened to them in years. I remember discovering them along with a whole bunch of other stuff a long time ago, and liking them, but never really bothering to look any further, as I was preoccupied with the other bits I found. If it weren't for the fact that they pop up on EWB from time to time, I'd not have thought about them in years, though.

I think Brand New are shit.

The Hives are nice enough. I'd like to see them live. I was a bit indifferent to them when they were all hyped up, because there were a lot of similar bands around, and I wasn't really that into a lot of them. I think now I appreciate them more, though I've never really gone out of my way to listen to them. I imagine they'd be a ton of fun live.

I find Rammstein unbearably dull.