EWB's Top 104 Artists 2013 - Results

METALMAN

I kind of like Iron Maiden. They're cheesy and fun, and have some good tunes. They were a band I loved as a teenager, because they're Iron Maiden, and I was a teenager. I'd probably never go out of my way to listen to them now, but I DJ heavy metal nights, so they're kind of a staple, and they're one of the better things I get asked to play.

There's a couple of songs I don't mind by Pink if they come on the radio or whatever, but that's about it.

I've warmed to KISS recently. They're mostly awful, but they've got a couple of songs that I like - "Parasite", especially - and I fucking love KISS merchandise. Even if I didn't like the band, I'd still probably wear a KISS Army T-shirt, because they're great. "I Was Made For Loving You" is a classic, too. Great fun. Again, though, I doubt I would ever, or have ever, gone out of my way to listen to them, despite owning a four disc boxset.

Grizzly Bear's okay, but kind of forgettable. I have one album, I think, but I couldn't tell you anything about it. It's nice.

Chance The Rapper - Never heard of him.

Five Finger Death Punch - Gross. The most obnoxious guy I've ever had the displeasure of meeting loves them, and anytime we're at a party he'll try and sneak his iPod into the speakers to listen to them and everyone always groans and tells him to go and fuck himself. Terrible human being, terrible band.

Townes van Zandt - Another one I never really got into as much as I'd hoped I would. So yeah, not a huge fan but I can totally see why people would be.

Andrew Jackson Jihad - Heck yeah AJJ! Wonderful band, wonderful guys. I hate that they're seen as 'them guys that made Lady Killer' by a wider audience because holy shit, they've got a wonderful catalogue of brilliant stuff. 'Sense, Sensibility', 'All the Dead Kids/Unicron', 'Hate Rain On Me', the People trilogy, they're just ruddy brilliant.

Iron Maiden - Eh. I can take them or leave them. I love how ridiculous they are and I'd love to see them live but I've never been compelled to listen to them.

Pink - Shit. I fully approve of pop music, it's a wonderful medium, but Pink is doing it wrong and she's awful.

Kiss - I echo what I said about Maiden. Brilliantly ridiculous, never compelled to listen.

Grizzly Bear - Lovely, lovely band. They were definitely on the tail end of my list. Last year's 'Shields' was far and away one of the best albums of the years and they're back catalogue is mesmerizing. I challenge anyone to listen to 'A Simple Answer' or 'Two Weeks' or 'Knife' or 'I Live With You' or 'Speak In Rounds' or anything else for that matter and not feel happy. Lovely, lovely.

Iron Maiden are nice enough. I have their best of and it is all I'll ever need. They do have some really good songs and I'm sure they'd put on a great show.

Pink is a bit irritating. A lot of her songs are a bit derivative and not very good, like U and Ur Hand and So What. I don't like her attitude either. Get This Party Started is okay though. It's strange to think that she's only 34. She seems to have been around for ages.

Kiss are okay. I like some of the big hits. Not overly bothered.

I really quite liked the most recent Grizzly Bear album, which was a surprise because most of their other stuff is a bit boring. But cool band, for that album.

Five Finger Death Punch. There's only one person I know in real life who actually likes this band, and that's my mom. No, really.

They're awful, but they're also awful because there's absolutely nothing unique about them at all. They're just like Disturbed but all their songs are all wannabe tough guy bravado.

Kiss I like, and iron Maiden is just wonderful.

Good work Metalman. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the list.

I understand people not liking Slipknot but i'm a proud Maggot. I owe a lot to their music and probably would have committed suicide if it wasn't for them

I'm glad they helped you and all. I mean seriously glad, but are their fans really called maggots? :lol:

• Like 1

Yeah I think most everyone here is in agreement that Iron Maiden are great. Lots of fun and really excellent live shows. I don't listen to them much anymore, but for a large part of my high school they were my go-to band. I could still listen to "The Trooper" or "Aces High" every day and enjoy them, such fun songs.

Them loving what they do helps things too.