The Xbox One Thread

Dan

Assuming Target has any in stock, I think I'm gonna make Halo a part of my Buy 2 Get 1 purchase. I haven't played Halo since maybe an hour of co-op with my brother on the first game (complete with that monstrosity that was the original Xbox controller). I'll be down for multiplayer (like I said, trying to be a better EWBer) if I can pry my wife away from Sunset Overdrive.

I only ever briefly played 1 and 2, had Anniversary but just gutted it for it's Reach DLC and sold it as it was worth more than I got it for. I completed Reach and 4 on Solo Legendary and want to do the same for 1, 2 and 3. Playing 1 is weird though, it's like there's no weight to the shooting or melee and the movement is just...off. Can't really describe it. Switching between the two graphic styles is neat to see how they've spruced it up but it's hard to believe it was just just grey corridors. Granted, I'm still to get out of the ship so things will look more colourful shortly.

Though, I'm not sure they had Battle Rifles back in the first game so lord knows how I'll get through this. That and the DMR got me through the other games.

Halo servers are still struggling, had some funky stuff happening like team slayer with 6 teams of 1. Very odd.

I'm feeling pretty good about not buying any more games until next year. Got Sunset Overdrive, Halo 1,2,3 & 4, Alien Isolation, AC: Black Flag and AC: Unity to play through. Decided I'll get GTA V on PC because I'll have more friends to play with online.

That was super satisfying. My grenade killed him with 1 second left to put me 1 score ahead of him for the win!

Edited by Dan

I havent enjoyed a CoD game since World at War, but the new ones pretty fun. The exos give it just enough variety and change it up enough that I'm not constantly getting slammed by vets who've been playing the same thing for 5 years. Campaign seems pretty standar, facial animations are ace.

Also got Halo, not had much xchance to play it yet though. Really want WWE, Far Cry, ACU and GTAV, but realistically going to have to wait til the new year now.

Matchmaking is still fucked, but I was able to do a custom game with two guys who I was almost definitely playing Halo 2 with 10 years ago to the day. And we played a map from Halo 2 Vista that none of us had ever played. Lots of fun and happy memories even in a broken game :)

Yeah it's great when it works. I played a few custom games with a friend yesterday and we had a blast, the MP games I got in where fun too. H2A is fucking brilliant too, I didn't get to play H2 much online so a lot of it is new for me and it's great.

Just be aware that online is a mess right now, it's just not finding games and when it does they're usually 5v4 or weird shit like 3v2v1. They're putting out a server-side patch soon (this morning PST) so hopefully that will fix it up some but I don't expect online to be fully working until the weekend at the earliest.

Edited by Dan

It really does come off like they barely bothered to test matchmaking. I still don't really like 343 taking over, but they've left Halo 2 relatively untouched so once it's working it'll be great. Not real excited for Halo 5 from the early impressions I've read.

I didn't try but you get the usual '____ is ready to play' thing part way through and it pops up with a little progress thing in the game itself saying what's been installed. I only bothered looking at 80% and at that point I had all 4 campaigns done and like 75% of the multi. Maxx was saying that Halo 4 was the first campaign installed when he tried.

Got into my first game of multi, Halo 4. Thought it best to stick with what I know. Our team won, I went 14-5, 11 assists and got a killing frenzy. Not bad for the first game back.