The Xbox One Thread

Dan

Huh. 343 have just further addressed the Halo MCC issues and say they're offering the following for free to anyone that has played the game online between launch and today:

One month Xbox Live Gold

In-game avatar/nameplate

Halo 2 Relic map

ODST Campaign at 1080p/60fps

I know people didn't like ODST but that's pretty cool they're adding it. Though, kinda makes you wonder if Reach will come as premium DLC someday, might as well if you've got every other game on there.

We do not currently have plans to include Firefight.

Fucking boo.

As bad as it is that the collection was apparently so choppy, I'll give 343 a lot of credit for working round the clock to churn out patches and deliver this kind of content when they could just as easily get away with not doing so. Of course, putting out a working product on launch day still needs to be of paramount importance to developers, but when you compare this situation with that of Warner Bros. and Batman: Arkham Origins, there's a lot to commend here.

The patches they've released haven't made things better, and in some cases, like the most recent one, made things worse. My roommate plays with legacy controls, which no longer work after the last patch. They're in over their heads.

Well, I can't comment from personal experience, but I've heard comments from pretty much everywhere from those claiming it now works well and those stating that they can't find a game for love nor money. I'm not saying that any of them are wrong, but I can at least applaud 343 for putting in the effort that plenty of studios simply wouldn't. This is a huge franchise we're talking about, and as much as I hate the idea of studio apathy, there are plenty of big developers who have spat out a half-baked product that they know will sell millions of copies, cobbled together a quick patch and galloped into the sunset to work on their next inevitably money-spinning instalment.

• Like 1

Effort other studios wouldn't put in? They're yet to get the game to a working state, they need to finish their original job before we start talking about all the extra effor they are putting in. Some other studios wouldn't put out a game where the most popular aspect barely functions.

• Like 1

I'm not trying to suggest that they should be excused for putting out a malfunctioning product, and I believe that they deserve the criticism that has come their way since the game's release. What I'm saying is that it's refreshing to see a developer doing what they should be doing in a scenario such as this, and that's accepting that they've made a cock-up, working to find solutions and doing what they can to put things right.

This isn't Ubisoft throwing out poorly optimised PC ports that barely work and doing the bare minimum to turn things around, capping it off with a DRM barrier that does little more than punish the paying customer. This isn't Warner Bros. Montreal explicitly stating that they're not going to fix Batman: Arkham Origins' still-existing game-breaking bugs because they're too busy working on the next item of paid downloadable content, and it certainly isn't Maxis blaming its own customers for the SimCity servers not working properly. What it is, at the very least, is a studio that appears to want to make amends, and that ought to count for something at a time when customer service for many large gaming services is at an all-time low.

I'm genuinely sorry for people who aren't able to play the game properly right now, even though I, as someone who doesn't own it, don't have a horse in this particular race. I do, however, think that 343's post-release attitude is one that should be standard practice in the video games industry now because, by and large, it absolutely isn't. Is a large part of this a sweetener? Probably, but as far as sweeteners go, it's pretty good.

D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die is coming to Games with Gold in January. Just that, still just the one game a month it seems. Still, nice to get an exclusive for 'free'. I know Kinect was meant to be a big for it but anyone play it without? Would be nice to know it still plays fine with the normal controller since that's. all I have.

EA is making the Bruce Lee pack free for a couple of weeks on UFC so pick that up if you just got it through Access.

Also, the Telltale Collection is on sale for Gold members, seems like a good deal if you haven't had any of the games on the One yet. £35/$55 for Walking Dead 1/2, Wolf Amongst Us, Tales from the Borderlands and Game of Thrones. Walking Dead 1 & 2 was, what, £20 on black friday so it's £15 on top for 3 extra games, 2 of which are new. Tempting, even though I wouldn't make best use of GoT since I never read/watched it.

Is anyone else having issues with achievements lately? I know i unlocked some but they didnt pop and i keep getting error messages when i try to open the app, either from the dashboard, in game or even smart glass.