Hamster watches Peep Show from series 1...'cos he wants to see how well it lasts

Peep Show is apparently the longest running sit-com on English TV or something. Sure we tend to have short series with 6-8 episodes, and often shows only get 2 or 3 series at most, but still.....Peep Show's not got THAT many episodes.

Anyway, I used to be an avid watcher and even got the series 1 DVD back when it was still an 18 certificate (before downgraded to 15) and before they made all the covers look the same so that they look prettier in box sets.

Series 1-3 my wife and I watched religiously. Series 4 we did well with. Series 5 and 6 we got the DVDs first and watched for the first time off them. Since then, partly due to being overseas, I've just not really watched it.

As my viewings took place over the years, I've decided to dial right back to series 1 to watch the progression, see how young they all looked then and generally see how things go quality-wise.

Does longevity = quality?

MV5BMTc0ODMzNTI0MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjEy

SERIES 1

Episode.....3?!

I know, I know. I decided to embark on this adventure after deciding to watch this episode. Tough that it's out of sequence. Usual service will be resumed shortly.

Mark and Jeremy go 'on the pull' and find themselves smoking pot in the Lazerbowl toilets with a teenage goth. Jeremy perseveres with the sexy Toni despite her refusal to stop talking about Peter Gabriel, and after a few pints Mark decides a melon is a big improvement on a bowling ball.

I chose this episode because it has the entertaining scene of Mark smoking weed for the first time. It also has Valeria (Flora Newbigin) - the teenage goth - who is probably my second favourite of the female one-episode characters.

500full.jpg

It also includes two of my favourite quotes from the entire ongoing series:

"What if I lose it? I'm not going to do a poo am I Jez?"

"I'm bowling alright. I'm bowling FRUIT!"

All the main cast really do look pretty young, but then again this episode is 11 years ago now. I think the episode stands up really well now and is still one of the best as far as I'm concerned. Valerie's response to Jeff making fun of her age is brilliant and the sex scenes really do lay out what to expect for years to come.

As far as the cringe-worthy element of the episode, it's not so high but that's nice sometimes. Mark's sex face is probably the most cringe-worthy part of the episode along with his usual pathetic-ness around Sophie.

16765825a4516278701b700795321l.jpg

Bonus trivia: The theme song from all the other series is playing in the background while Mark is bowling.

LAUGHS: 8/10

CRINGEWORTHY: 4/10

OVERALL: 8/10

It's Super Hans! My favourite lines from the show are still:

It's not Blue Peter, just having a nice little relaxing smoke of crack.

I tell you what, that crack is really moreish.

Peep Show is one of the only comedies I can rewatch episodes of, love it.

• Like 3

I saw Super Hans/Superhands (changes depending on where you look online) at Hove train station. True story.

Also, love me some Peep Show.

What crazy sites do you go on that talk about Superhands?

Thanks to hotel WiFi and 4OD I find myself watching random episodes all the time, still stands up and even the newies are still decent.

Is it really the longest running? Isn't Red Dwarf up to ten series or something? Albeit everything after series 6 is dogshit so might not count as comedy.

I love Peep Show. Hilarious comedy, one of my favorite British exports for sure. My favorite dynamic surely was Mark chasing after Sophie early on, especially when Jeff was involved. That was as relatable as comedy can get for me. The ep you talked about earlier Hammy is one my friend and I quote often. "This is the sort of thing people do when they're having a good time" is another great quote from the episode.

Also a potential serious discussion can be had if the format of Peep Show (first-person perspective I guess you'd call it) will proliferate sitcoms like the mockumentary did after The Office. I think it lends a lot to the comedy to have the cringeworthy sex scenes and the kissing, not to mention the fun you can have drifting eyes and everything else.

Only Fools and Horses and Dad's Army went on for longer as well.

Maybe Peep Show is the longest running current sitcom. I can't think of any others.

Remember that Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps? It was always on for about a decade. Did anyone actually ever watch that?

I watched 2 Pints. I think it got way too much criticism.

Let me clarify, pre-teen me thought it got way too much criticism. No idea how I'd feel if I watched it back.

Ahhh, remember when Ralf Little was the next big British comedy actor?

I watched 2 Pints. I think it got way too much criticism.

Let me clarify, pre-teen me thought it got way too much criticism. No idea how I'd feel if I watched it back.

Ahhh, remember when Ralf Little was the next big British comedy actor?

Friends of mine were on a TV series recently where Will Mellor and Rory McGrath travel around the country taking part in weird "World Championships". Theirs was wheely-bin racing up and down a local hill.

Apparently Rory was a top bloke, chatted with them off-camera and stayed for a drink. Will was all blokey-blokey matey-mate when the cameras were on but then ignored them totally for the rest of the time and left straight after.

SERIES 1

Episode.....1

Despite being bullied on the street by the local children, Mark sets himself the task of sleeping with the divorcee Toni next door, basing his seduction technique on the Battle of Stalingrad. But part of his plan includes humiliating his flatmate Jeremy, who vows revenge.

Episode 1 of this exciting and leftfield new comedy series is top notch. We're introduced to Jeremy and his Prodigy-esque musical creation first and to Mark afterwards (I am the Lord of the bus, said he). There's an early taster of what's to come in the series when Sophie sits down next to Mark on the bus but ends up sitting on his hand. Rather than just pulling it out, an embarrassed Mark leaves it there...and realises he's gone too long before saying anything....and then she notices. Such is the British squirm and such is the series.

markvsjez.JPG

Episode highlights include Mark's run-ins with the four young kids who start bullying him "How do you get your shirt so clean mate?", Jeremy's reactions to Toni's sister when he thinks she's got cancer....and Mark pulling back his duvet to find "JUDAS" written there in pork products. "What's the matter? I thought you LIKED pork?"

peep_show_episode1_hans_1_400x251.jpg

LAUGHS: 8/10

CRINGEWORTHY: 6/10

OVERALL: 8/10

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...