South Park: The Stick of Truth

Monkey D. Lars

That's fair, I refuse to put any money down on a game that won't let me role play performing an abortion either.

I actually totally get those first two and I'm glad they did it, I wouldn't want to play that. The third one not so much, as it's a bit that's been done by South Park for years.

• Like 1

Matzat/Srar gift exchange! Let's make it happen!

On one of Yahtzee Croshaw's (the Zero Punctuation guy) 'Drown Outs' a while back they were talking about the censoring it was getting in Australia and how, instead of seeing another South Park anal probe for like the 10th time, it was going to be a static image of a crying Koala bear or something and that was funnier.

I don't care what the scenes are, it's a joke they're being censored. As a South Park fan,if you're offended by anything they do, you're doing it wrong.

I'm a big boy, I don't like being told what I can and can't play.

Wanting to be able to play whatever you want is fine, but telling me I'm "doing it wrong" because I don't want to play not one but two abortion mini games is idiotic

• Like 4

Not that it shouldn't offend people but South Park has done this time and time again with abortions, it's not new offensive stuff. Plus the abortion scenes involve male characters so it's obviously tongue in cheek.

The first ever episode of South Park's featured an anal prone, now I'm being told that it's too offensive to be featured in an 18s South Park game?

• Like 1

You have to talk to the Censors about that.

But if you can't understand why someone, especially a female, wouldn't want to play an abortion level, then I don't think there is anything I can say to make you think otherwise.

I can understand why, but that's South Park. I'd have no problem being given the option to skip the part like in Modern Warfare 2. I just don't like having a game censored and being told it's too offensive for me to play when I'm an adult who paid full price for the game.

• Like 2

I don't care what the scenes are, it's a joke they're being censored. As a South Park fan,if you're offended by anything they do, you're doing it wrong.

I'm a big boy, I don't like being told what I can and can't play.

Wanting to be able to play whatever you want is fine, but telling me I'm "doing it wrong" because I don't want to play not one but two abortion mini games is idiotic

You dont even know them yet, maybe they are the most fun part of the game, maybe they only last 3 seconds, maybe the cercumstances are so scuril that you would not find it offensive at all.

What i complained about most was, anyway, that i have no reasonable way to get an uncensored version. We, after all, are talking about a show that has shit as Santa replacement, makes fun of child abuse, rapes indiana johnes, feeds the parents of a child to that child in dinner, even has men bouncing down the street on their cancer enlarged balls (haha, how fun cancer is in real life), kills children, makes fun of about every religion possible, has not only anal probes but also Satan fucking Sadam up the Ass, has animals rapeing humans, turns and ex cast member into a child rapeist (rape is just as much of a fun topic as is cancer or abortion in real life - but you never thought about that because it is more to you than "There is a videogame with rape in it!!!")... continue infinite. Shit like that is just South Park. And i am certain it will be fun.

I think the point of those who don't like the idea of the game being censored is that South Park has always unapologetically set itself out as something that doesn't draw boundaries. Basically, if Trey Parker and Matt Stone believe that they can make something - anything at all - funny, they'll go for it. It's an MO that's often been misinterpreted as a means of saying, "We've made fun of this minority group, so we have to make fun of this other one because that makes it equal", but I think it's more accurate to say that they're simply willing to poke fun at any issue without considering it to be "too far".

Saying that anyone who doesn't like this approach is "doing it wrong" isn't a particularly diplomatic way of putting it, but I can see where those saying it are coming from. With South Park having always presented itself as a show that covers a huge range of taboo issues, it's very difficult to enjoy it if there are certain aforementioned boundaries that you're uncomfortable seeing breached. If there are scenarios that you're completely opposed to having to play through or watch, that doesn't make you wrong or a bad person by any means, but it does mean that you're probably going to have more issues with the game than just those scenes that have been censored in some regions. The chances are good that there's plenty of other questionable material that's still going to be in there, and it's worth re-evaluating how much you want to play a game that could make you feel uneasy at a moment's notice.

As a big South Park fan, I'm personally OK with anything they've covered in the show so far, and there have been plenty of things that have arguably been just as controversial, if not more so, than abortion (which has also been included in a few episodes too). Again, that doesn't make me right or wrong, but it means that I'm not worried about being offended by this game. It would be different, however, if I were to watch something that pitches itself as a reasonably family-friendly form of entertainment, like WWE, were to include an abortion angle (as it has done at least a couple of times), I'd be much more unhappy, but the difference is with South Park that I've been conditioned to expect literally anything to come up in a comedic context. You'll either find it funny or you won't, and there's no right way to approach it as a member of its audience.