Summer Transfer Window Thread 2015

Rich

De Gea is from Madrid too, so in this case it's a little bit different and understandable. He moves onto a better team, for more money and gets to move home.

You can't really blame him for wanting to leave.

Equally, all the pundits who constantly scream, "there's no loyalty in football anymore!" are beyond annoying. Why should Madrid-born David De Gea, with no ties to England (let alone, Manchester) other than the fact he happens to be employed by an English club, be "loyal" to us?

The same goes for Sterling. Liverpool didn't rescue him from a life on the streets. They paid another employer for his services. Say what you will about the way he has gone about getting the move, but loyalty doesn't come into it.

It's akin to criticising people for moving for more money.  If someone offered to double my salary, I'd be long gone.

• Like 1

The allure of hometown clubs cannot be understated - look at Craig Bellamy. It paid off for him too, a year after dropping to play for Cardiff from one of the top clubs in the country, he was back in the top flight. Great signing for Boro really.

It was more West Ham getting rid of him after a good season that kinda baffled me a bit. 

I imagine Boro expressed their interest, Downing said "can I please go?" and they said "okay then". Not like they've shopped him around, he had a good season.

On which note, Downing and Christian Stuani are both fantastic signings for Middlesbrough at Championship level.

Oh and we've signed a champions league winner today.... Ross Turnbull :shifty:

Good keeper is Turnbull, but somewhat injury prone. I did also once see him lobbed from 40 yards by Jonjo Shelvey, but he's decent. Would he be your first choice?

I highly doubt it, I can't see Silvestri going anywhere. He's just there to provide a bit more competition than the young American lad would have done. Probably won't even play for the ressies unless we send the youngster out on loan somewhere.

Think we've also signed, or are on the verge of signing Christian Stuani from Espanyol.

And Tomas Kalas W0MyjrO.gif

'Boro have to be the early favourites for promotion, they're putting together a great squad.

Further to this, I just stuck £20 on them to win the leage at 8/1 with Paddy Power.  They have Derby and Hull as the favourites, don't see Derby being as good without Schteve at the helm, Hull will be up there but fancy 'Boro over them.

Edited by Thrilla

Liverpool are set to activate Chistian Benteke's release clause.

Where are you getting this.

As i am seeing United have activated it and I would love to see an all out war for a player between the two clubs <_<

Liverpool are set to activate Chistian Benteke's release clause.

Where are you getting this.

As i am seeing United have activated it and I would love to see an all out war for a player between the two clubs <_<

James Pearce in the Liverpool Echo.

Tony Barrett in The Times.

• Like 1

I'm pretty indecisive when it comes to us getting Benteke. Obviously I don't watch him week in week out but he's got a bit of pace to him, he's strong and got good ball control. I think 32.5 mil is over spending by quite a bit but he'll be a decent signing. 

You would imagine that with the service of Coutinho, Firmino et al that he would get a fair amount of goals. I think I'd rather us go after Pedro though, I think he could add a great amount to the team. 

Pedro and Benteke aren't comparisons though, I think Liverpool need a lynchpin centre forward (Sturridge isn't really this) and Benteke fits the bill. He's had three very good seasons in England when you consider a long term injury curtailed two of them, he has ability in spades, pace and more strength than arguably any CF in the division bar Lukaku. I really think he could make a difference for 'Pool, especially if he gets the service from players around him like Sturridge, Coutinho and Firmino. The fee for me is inconsequential due to the windfall from Sterling's sale.

It was pretty obvious Benteke was the #1 target. I like the idea of Benteke at least. 49 goals in 100 games for Villa isn't bad at all.

Edited by TLHobo

I'd argue the fee does matter, as Liverpool have pretty much spent the Sterling money on new players already.

Benteke is a difficult one, because there's times when he just doesn't seem arsed. Same can be said for Lukaku really. And that's for country as well as club.

IIRC, Liverpool were initially offering only 5 million less than they're going to end up paying. I'd doubt they couldn't have afforded to do it before Sterling went.

I still wish we were making a strong run at Lacazette. He can be got for around the same fee. While Benteke is not an out and out target man, I still question if Rodgers would play to his style accordingly.

Equally, all the pundits who constantly scream, "there's no loyalty in football anymore!" are beyond annoying. Why should Madrid-born David De Gea, with no ties to England (let alone, Manchester) other than the fact he happens to be employed by an English club, be "loyal" to us?

The same goes for Sterling. Liverpool didn't rescue him from a life on the streets. They paid another employer for his services. Say what you will about the way he has gone about getting the move, but loyalty doesn't come into it.

It's akin to criticising people for moving for more money.  If someone offered to double my salary, I'd be long gone.

I don't really care for loyalty in football. I far prefer those who treat it like the job it is to those that do all the badge kissing fakery.

I highly doubt it, I can't see Silvestri going anywhere. He's just there to provide a bit more competition than the young American lad would have done. Probably won't even play for the ressies unless we send the youngster out on loan somewhere.

• Like 1