Summer Transfer Window Thread 2015

Rich

Out of the two I'd choose Benteke. But Lacazette would be a pretty decent consolation prize for whoever signed him.

I'd take Lacazette. This crucial Premier League Experience © is overhyped and Benteke has that injury in his past, and I wouldn't be 100% confident in him regaining the level he produced at in his first year at Villa. 

Lacazette is electric and would take the Premier League by storm I reckon. He's fractionally younger too and hasn't had any injury of note, especially not a serious achilles injury. I don't think he'd be Suarez level but I think his playing style would mean he'd have an instant impact. He does lose points for his sill nose piercing though.

The injury is such a non-issue though, if you look at his first year with Villa he averaged a goal every 1.8 games, last season a goal in every 2.1 games.

The Premier League experience is not overhyped, the style of play here is drastically different to France other wise the likes of Sanogo and Chamakh would be getting in to double figures, Its why players sometimes do struggle when they come over and have done for a number of years, just look at somebody like Soldado.

While I think Benteke is great, I do think Villa play to his strengths a lot, especially since Sherwood took over. Unless Liverpool slightly alter their style to be more of a crossing team to accommodate him, I think he'd probably do better at Man Utd. 

Having said that, I do think Lacazette is much more rounded and pacy player and Lyon is much more of a "pass the ball to Lacazette and let the dude run and score" kinda team as opposed to playing to his strengths per say. It's still a gamble spunking a ton of money of him though, because l don't know how well he'd cope with the pace and physicality in England, something something Tuesday night in Stoke. 

Absolute balls would Liverpool have to adjust their style for Benteke, he is fast and powerful and still great with the balls at his feet, this guy is basically a talented Andy Carroll from Liverpool's perspective, I watched him play at Villa plenty of times and he has much more to his game other than "stick it on his head"

• Like 3

I normally hate to agree with Rich but Benteke is a far better choice from Liverpool's perspective. Benteke's strike record is better, he's got more of a physical presence for them to build around up front rather than just adding more pace (which he does still have) and he won't have the psychological issues of trying to play in another country which has proven to be the downfall of many a player who has changed leagues.

Both are exciting players and Liverpool would do well to sign either of them. But it makes more sense for them to buy Benteke.

• Like 1

The real developing transfer story on Merseyside is that Everton seem set to bag Jonny Evans for around £7-8 million. I'm not sure how I feel about this one, he's a solid defender but is he better than what is already there? I don't mind the potential tag of him being an "also-ran British player" because Gareth Barry has turned out alright and Lennon had a decent enough six months, but I'm just not sure he's worth the money with Jagielka and Stones already there. Still, it's got to be a better body to have in the squad than chuffing Alcaraz.

I wonder how many of the Liverpool fans crying for Lacazette on Twitter have actually seen him play a full 90 minute match? Lyon weren't in Europe last season, and I really doubt many are avid Ligue 1 watchers. I guarantee most fans had only heard of him because he was brilliant on FIFA Ultimate Team.

That reminds me; Linikles, are your lot bringing in another set of FIFA/FM players for deadline day? "Well, ____ has 91 pace on FIFA so he should be pretty good if ______ get him."

• Like 1

The Lacazette thing really only came out of some news reports. Benteke was always the guy Liverpool wanted.

I wonder how many of the Liverpool fans crying for Lacazette on Twitter have actually seen him play a full 90 minute match? Lyon weren't in Europe last season, and I really doubt many are avid Ligue 1 watchers. I guarantee most fans had only heard of him because he was brilliant on FIFA Ultimate Team.

i think this is pretty much nail on the head, I don't play FM or FIFA but I tend to keep up on football and I'd barely heard of the guy prior to this season (as in his name would have rung a vague bell but I couldn't tell you where he played or anything) and now he's had one good season in the 4th/5th best league in Europe without doing anything in the European cups or internationally. Yeah, the premier league experience card is overplayed but it's still a factor, for every Luis Suarez there's an Alfonso Alves, 40m is a lot to spend on a gamble like that whereas Benteke should be a guaranteed 12-15 goals if he stays fit, possibly more if you can get the best out of him and it's 5m+ cheaper.