Tennis!

sahyder1

I think I'll be out playing tennis on Sunday anyway after the F1, so the final will definitely have to be watched on Monday morning. I'm on study leave; no need to study much though, my GCSE exams are all pretty spread out fortunately. :)

Well, that's if Roger wins, obviously.

Well, Kuzy's my favourite tennis player, but I don't mind if Safina wins, especially as it's annoying to hear people keep saying that Serena is the 'true #1', just because Safina has never won a Slam. She's been more consistent and it would be nice if she got that burden off her back.

Really hope Roger wins. He'll have the Career Slam and have tied Sampras, setting the stage for him to break it at Wimbledon. It would be a perfect setting for him to cement himself as possibly the greatest of all-time.

Hopefully we can get some nice tennis discussion going, I'm a big fan.

I have the distinct feeling tomorrow's match will be a chokefest. Two Russians who are known for sloppy play in tight situations could be disastrous in terms of quality. Kuznetsova SHOULD have the advantage of playing in more big time matches, but she may also be the favorite and she never does well in that role. Safina could either double bagel someone, or be on the receiving end of one if her head isn't in the game. It should be fun to watch just to see which one of them controls their nerves better. I'm hoping Soderling cracks under the pressure on Sunday, but Roger's going to have the weight of the world on his shoulders because everyone knows if he doesn't win it this year he likely never will.

Yeah I was thinking about the 'bottle-factor' as well. I'm encouraged by the fact that, like you said, Kuzy has more big-match experience, plus despite wobbling whilst on the brink of victory against both Williams and Stosur, she managed to come back and finish the matches off.

I never actually watch the women really, unless there's nothing else on. I can't stand the amount of bloody moaning the likes of Sharapova and the Williams sisters do.

We've got about 7 competitors in the rankings but only Keothavong, at 48, is even in the top 100. Everyone's got high hopes for Laura Robson though, she's World #1 in the Juniors and may be getting a wildcard into the main draw at Wimbledon this year.

I.. meant, us lot. Any British EWBers here who play comps and stuff, have a British LTA rating.

As for my tennis knowledge, I'm hoping to become a journalist possibly looking mainly at tennis reporting. I know my stuff I guess, without wanting to brag.

Ugh, Gonzalez was well on his way to a huge comeback from 2 sets back, but he choked when he was 4-1 up on the last set, losing 6-4. Totally gutted. Referee was a total bitch to him as well, although I can't be too sure as I only heard it on the radio.

Far out Federer has been lucky to get this far. Played absolutely shit and was very close to going out to Acasuso, Haas and now Del Potro.

I thing Soderling will be a massive test provided he doesn't get overawed by the big stage. He's been awesome this week and come through a veeery tough draw. Ferrer, Nadal, Davydenko and Gonzalez is nothing to sneeze at.

I think Fed will take it in four, but fingers crossed for Soderling.

Nah the ref wasn't a bitch, the linesman was the one Gonzalez had a dispute with, then he rubbed out the mark that they were arguing about by sitting on it. Was a bit daft, but it turned the crowd totally in his favour.

Fair enough, then. Commentators over here made it sound like he'd been getting screwed over every other point. Just some predictable patriotic bias I guess.

He's protest was great though. Totally unexpected. Couldn't get the full effect through the radio, sadly.

And the wheelchair's women's final was between 2 Dutchies as wusual, the number 1 and 2 of the world, and the number 1 win.. extending her winning streak to like.. 360 games or something? :P

Safina got her ass whipped as I suspected she would. Let's hope Roger comes through tomorrow and gives me the perfect weekend.

Really was a match of who could choke the least. Still good on Kuznetsova for sort of putting to rest some of the demons she's had in Grand Slams since her US Open title. Safina was horrible and she'd want to win a GS final soon before she develops a real block about it. That's three times now she's been smashed (not as bad as vs. Serena in Melbourne, though. That was brutal).

Shame to see Big Dick Norman lose in the doubles final. :(

I hope Söderling puts up a good fight tonight, because I'd hate to see the match flop in straight sets.

Can't be too far out of the realm of possibility to say that Safina will never win a Grand Slam, and I am absolutely gutted about that. I think she's a great player, plays a great game and deserves it but tennis is so much more a mental game than it is a technical game, despite it still being one of the most technical games out there.

With the retirements of Henin and Clijsters, who even though the latter is making a comeback I don't think she'll ever be "there" and the fragile minds of Ivanovic, Jankovic, Safina, Kuznetsova, Dementieva then that only really lives Venus and Serena Williams and Maria Sharapova - and when on form it's only a two person race, the Williams sister. When they play their best - they are simply unstoppable, it's just not possible to beat them on form.

Womens tournaments are pretty much centred around players hoping the Williams' sisters won't be on form so they get knocked out, and then just whoever can hold their nerve to go all the way. For Safina it all went down hill at Azarenka, when she actually lost games. She'd lost 5 games in her first 4 matches and spent most of them just blasting the ball passed players, then Azarenka started getting them back and dragging her into rallies. It took Safina a long, long time to accustom to almost an entirely new style of play - but she managed. But then she just never really looked the same again, looked fragile again as it got close to closing it out and despite the terrific start - ended the tournament with nothing more than a mere whimper 4 and 2 is as straight forward as it gets. Her 3 and 3 win against Cibulkova - someone I've been bigging up for a long time now, since she was sponsored by the same company that I used rackets of at the time I took an interest - was even quite shaky. She didn't look particularly convincing there, but then neither did Kuzy in her matches so it was never going to be a great final.

As long as Soderling isn't going to flop and just brings his forehand with him, he should give Federer enough problems not to make the match suck. Hey - he could win it, but Federer's a great player and does what great players do and that's win matches when he isn't playing great. People will look down on it a bit because he didn't beat Nadal in the final, but fortunately he has a couple of clay court wins over Federer - he'll wish he could have done it here at Roland Garros but won't care enough for it to tarnish his record-equalling Grand Slam making victory.

Can't be too far out of the realm of possibility to say that Safina will never win a Grand Slam, and I am absolutely gutted about that. I think she's a great player, plays a great game and deserves it but tennis is so much more a mental game than it is a technical game, despite it still being one of the most technical games out there.

With the retirements of Henin and Clijsters, who even though the latter is making a comeback I don't think she'll ever be "there" and the fragile minds of Ivanovic, Jankovic, Safina, Kuznetsova, Dementieva then that only really lives Venus and Serena Williams and Maria Sharapova - and when on form it's only a two person race, the Williams sister. When they play their best - they are simply unstoppable, it's just not possible to beat them on form.

I think she will eventually. She's clearly one of the best players out there, and will get a few more chances before she's done. The fact that someone like Kuznetsova - who is one of the biggest chokers on the tour (which is saying something in women's tennis) - has won two Slams makes me think Safina will.

However Dementieva, much like Davydenko, is probably out of time.