Tennis!

sahyder1

The thing is, your football comparison isn't the same what so ever. What you've described is technically a way of cheating, while someone making noise in tennis isn't cheating (There's more than likely people out there who use it in that way, but I'm sure the majority don't make noise as a way to 'cheat'). The point I'm trying to make is that certain people in tennis make noise as a part of their game and as this girl said, her game wouldn't be the same if she was forced to stop making noise. So you're saying that anyone making a loud noise should be stopped from doing so, thus changing the way they play? And that's FAIR? I've got no problem in admitting I've not got amazing knowledge on tennis, but up until a few weeks ago, NOBODY over here has made a big deal like they have started to now.

Maybe I just see things differently. I'm not saying you're wrong in your opinion, I just don't agree with it and don't feel any person should have to change the way they play because the media has suddenly started crying over it. I've watched Sharapova and haven't ever had a problem with the noise she makes and am I wrong in thinking that when certain players make that noise, it helps them to generate more power into certain shots? Ah well, just more pathetic rules they're throwing out into certain sports nowadays, but that's just my opinion.

It is cheating because it disguises the sound the ball makes off of the racket. People have complained about this since the early '90s when Seles started grunting on every shot. The difference with some players is that they make the same noise every play, others change it up so you can't hear the ballstrikes correctly. Another issue that's similar was when Ana Ivanovic intentionally made sure to squeak her sneakers on the hardcourt at a tourney not too long ago whenever her opponent was serving to distract them. Mary Carillo and the guy in the booth were ripping her because it was bush league and against the spirit of the rules since her sneakers never made noise when she was serving or running down balls. It ONLY happened when she was receiving serve.

I have no problem with a grunt when the ball is struck, as long as it's not ear-piercing. It's the long winded ones that seem to carry on until the other player is about to hit the ball that annoy me, Nadal with his "uhh....oooooh's" which last pretty much two ball strikes on their own. Once you've hit the ball - and because it's a swift movement the grunt should be short and sharp really - then it's the other players chance to the hit the ball and nothing you do will affect it.

I once played a guy in a tournament who was rated much higher than me, I played well above my level (as I always did against the better players and lost 6-4, 6-2 i beleive) but he could sense it wasn't going well in the first set and he was almost grunting when I hit the ball. It was a clear as day tactic but because I didn't really stand any chance of winning I didn't bother.

Plus at a junior level the gruntings the least of your worries. Try the calls out out when the balls 2-feet inside the the line, the constant "sorry, just a second" when you're about to serve and the let calls everytime a bird flaps its wings some 500 metres away. Whoever thinks tennis is for the posh needs to get to a local junior tournament and witness the horrdenous cheating scum who seem to play.

I don't. I'm an adult now, I'm grown up cheating scum.

To be honest I played for the first time in 3 months yesterday, was God awful and haven't missed it. My arms too fucked up to play regularly anyways. Love the sport, would consider writing for it as a job, but don't want to play it now.

He likes Italy, pointing out non-punished diving is a silly thing to do. They're the kings.

Don't ever mention anything to do with the Grosso/Neill incident again :crying:

And yeah, trust me, grunting occasionally happens in tennis, it's uncontrollable if you put in the effort to get the best shot possible.

Plus, there's cheats everywhere in junior tennis, I've seen it first hand. :angry:

Edited by Hornswoggle4PM

I'd like to be on her ass all the time.

Caroline_Wozniacki_jpg.jpg < you would ?

Seriously though. Only met her brother. He seemed okay. Im just tired of hearing "Wozniacki did this and Wozniacki did that" The Danish media should stick to cover her game when she actually defeats some big names. :mellow:

Well, if she's your top player (which I'm guessing she is as she's top ten and I can't think of any other top Danes) then there's gonna be a big fuss over her. Everything about tennis here was centred around Tim Henman, then when he retired it switched to Andy Murray.

Instead he gets JMDP in the second round (provided he gets past Ginepri). Would have rathered a half-fit Nadal.

I totally agree with that, I wouldn't have been surprised if Hewitt was able to beat a half fit Nadal, Hewitt's game matches well up against Nadals and apart from on clay I'm sure he would give him self a fairly good chance at beating him, especially on grass.

But now we are going to get stuck watching Del Potro blast shots past him from everywhere.

So, which matches are the pick-of-the-round in Round 2 then? Looking at the draw Del Potro-Hewitt and Fish-Tipsarevic look like competitive matches. I think Del Potro's got a chance of winning this, is he now seeded to face Murray in the semi-finals? If he is, that'll be a great match.

Yea the Del Potro - Hewitt is my pick of the round, if Hewitt can play well it could be a tight match. Murray and Gulbis is another one, it depends on how Gulbis plays.. somedays he can show up and turn it on and others he can play well below his level. If he has a good day you never know, he pushed Nadal last year here.

Potro and Murray are seeded too meet in the semis... which would be awesome too watch. For me Del Potro would have to be favourite for that match, but theres still a long way to go until then.

Gisela Dulko is currently playing a blinder on centre court, 1 set and 1 game up on Sharapova. She broke Maria twice in the first set, including to win the set. I don't understand why Maria is 3rd favourite with the bookies for the tourney, she's on the comeback from injury and is theworld #60, after all. Dulko is more than matching her atm.

What a fantastic end to a brilliant match. Well done Gisella Dulko, she played brilliantly, second set meltdown aside. That was a terrific case of back-and-forth, Sharapova showing that she still has the type of game in her to win tournaments, but it won't be at Wimbledon this year. Matches like this are why I prefer womens tennis to the mens.