Tennis!

sahyder1

As great as the atmosphere and everything is at the Aussie Open, it is so far behind Wimbledon in importance outside of this country.

I'd probably say it is as irrelevant abroad as the US Open seems to be here.

The US Open is the # 2 tournament on the schedule, it's a little silly to say it's irrelevant abroad.

Federer is in the final and now one win away from eclipsing Pete and reclaiming the # 1 ranking. I hope he thrashes whichever Andy he plays.

I can obviously only speak from an Australian POV, but Roland Garros comfortably gets more attention and coverage (this could be bias because it is my favourite Grand Slam). Rarely hear anything about the US Open outside of when Hewitt, Rafter, Scud, etc. did well.

Irrelevant is obviously the wrong word, though. :)

It's all because of the timing. We have Adelaide, Brisbane, then Sydney and the Open, and that's it. When the French comes around, we're all relieved to see tennis again, Wimbledon is Wimbledon, but by the US, it feels rushed, especially after the spectacle that's Wimbledon. I'm assuming you're from the US so that gives a reason for that view, but it's just after the biggest tournament, so nobody cares as much.

As for winning locally, I believe it's way more important here than anywhere else (except for the UK obviously), since we only have 2-3 elite players at any given time. I would rate it as being bigger than winning Wimbledon, seriously, if you were over here at the time, the news shuts down completely when Hewitt loses before it picks up when Stosur/Dellacqua/Molik/Dokic have a chance of making a quarter.

Here are my thoughts on the last week of Wimbledon, rolled into one short(ish) post.

-In the 3rd/4th round, I was disappointed to see Kuznetsova go out, but she isn't exactly great on grass and Lisicki had a great tournament. She deserved to beat Safina too, who is absolute crap on grass. I expected it, but it was still embarrassing to see her lose to Love and 1 to Venus.

-Venus is too powerful for anyone else bar her sister, maybe. She made Aggy look like a +100 player, as she then did with Safina. I don't dislike the Williams sisters, but man are they boring to watch. They just power past everyone, especially on grass, and yet another all Williams final bores me. I think it's on now, but I'm not even sure.

-Good run from Murray, if Nadal had been in this tournament he would've been expected to lose at the semi-final stage, so its still very good from Murray. His match with Wawrinka was great, real drama there. Roddick was just too good, and I'm glad for him as I've always liked him, but I've said all along that nobody can touch Federer, and I expect that to hold true tomorrow afternoon.

As somebody mentioned on BBC earlier, it's amazing how nobody calls Federer boring when he wins everything and is in just about every Wimbledon final, but some are quick to shit on the Williams sisters for being the best two female players. I'm amazed people are bored by any of their finals, when they have a better history and story than any other female in the game and are more likely to produce a fantastic battle than any other women going up against them.

Just loved the build up to this match and I love these two, doubt I'll ever enjoy two female players more than these two actually. It's amazing how different they actually are and despite me first thinking Venus would win, I've got a gut feeling that Serena is going to battle her way to a victory. Whatever happens, I'll be happy.

For me, I find the Williams sisters boring because they're games are based mainly on power, especially Venus. They have the power, and that is not very exciting to watch, seeing as they just overpower their opponents, who can't play the game they want to at all.

Federer doesn't do this, he has tremendous shot selection, great movement and good tactics. This is more prominent in his game than with the Williams', plus Federer is no longer solely dominant, Nadal has surpassed him and Murray isn't far behind him.

Everything you named for Federer, these two have. Amazing commitment, heart, power, shot range and the fact that they almost never give up on a shot. I guess it's just a personal opinion, but it really annoys me that everybody is up Federers ass still, but those people are quick to moan about another Williams final. I can say Federer has some amazing matches, but he personally bores the hell out of me and I struggle to watch any of his games unless Nadal or Murray are involved.

To be honest, I'm not sure I'm gonna watch Federer-Roddick tomorrow either. Federer-Murray on grass would've been really interesting, but we've seen this match twice before in the Wimbledon final. I hope Roddick wins, as he hasn't won a Slam in nearly 6 years, and Federer has won 5 of the last 6 Wimbledon events!

Bit of a shame in the length of that final, would of loved it to go the distance. I think Serena having the tougher run in leading towards the final actually helped her more, she seemed more prepared, whereas Venus hadn't been challenged leading into the final. In all honesty though, after the Serena semi final match, she deserves that win right there. Just seemed so much more focused.

Also, they really do need to make it five sets for the final. I still think it's pathetic that it's only three sets and in certain games actually can ruin things. Hopefully they look into putting that out there sometime soon. Not for every game, but just the final. Either way, happy for Serena, but feel really sorry for Venus. Some great rallies in the match, but it just lacked the length.

(Y) I like Serena more than Venus. I think it has something to do with the way Venus answers every question with something like "oh I'm just so happy god gave me this opportunity, it's a blessing to be playing here at Wimbledon". Expected Venus to win though. Saw the Championship Point in a corner shop and was shocked. Glad I didn't watch though, because Serena's thighs make me feel inadequate as a man. Saying that he has massive tits.

I remember the furore over that when she retired, she was 100% adamant to everyone that she never took any cocaine, and had a private drugs test with a hair sample after that which came back negative, which she said proved her right and that she never had taken any cocaine.