Tennis!

sahyder1

Karlovic has looked almost laughable against Federer that it's become unbearable to watch.

Cant wait for Venus/Safina as I'm expecting it to be the first match that Venus is properly challenged in. I think people wrote Safina off way too early and she's shown some great heart. I cant see her beating Venus, but I'm really hoping for a great game.

Also, am I wrong in not really caring if Murray doesn't win the entire thing? I mean it'd be nice if he did, but I'm actually rooting on Roddick instead. Although Murray/Federer final has potential to be fantastic.

Karlovic has looked almost laughable against Federer that it's become unbearable to watch.

Cant wait for Venus/Safina as I'm expecting it to be the first match that Venus is properly challenged in. I think people wrote Safina off way too early and she's shown some great heart. I cant see her beating Venus, but I'm really hoping for a great game.

Also, am I wrong in not really caring if Murray doesn't win the entire thing? I mean it'd be nice if he did, but I'm actually rooting on Roddick instead. Although Murray/Federer final has potential to be fantastic.

I don't. I reckon Safina will get about 6/7 games. (EDIT: I should have added in "at most" at the end of that, and that's if she plays well)

It's shaping up, as it was easily predicted, to be a Venus/Serena final. Although it does show glimpses of about a year ago when Safina kept coming back from 5-2 down to win matches, which was really quite hilarious.

I expect about a 6-3 6-3 win for Venus in the semi, if not about 6-3, 6-2/1. And Serena will probably win a similar scoreline against Dementieva. Don't imagine either go to 3 sets. Wouldn't mind a Safina/Demetieva final, just so Safina might actually win one. I really want her to get a grand slam but.. I'm just not seeing it.

Edited by IAceI

Awesome from Roddick. I don't really hate Hewitt, but I started to really dislike him in that game, mainly because of my love for Roddick.

Should be a great game when he goes against Murray as well, looking forward to that one. Anybody but Federer winning this would make me care about men's tennis again.

In someways a Roddick/Federer final would be good. Because I could cheer Federer on the whole way and look forward to seeing him break that record, something I want him to do and this tournament is as good as any for him. I suspect the US Open he'll put forward a good case as well and we'll see how Nadal is as he's usually fatigued/injured a bit towards the end of the season so it's not always his best chance.

If it's Murray/Federer then I think tennis wins. Federer could get that 15th slam to firmly put him at the top, a first Murray Grand Slam would just be phenomenal for Britain as a whole. I've said for ages, Murray could win the Aussie Open and I doubt the effects would be too great. If Britain wants tennis to become a huge thing, loads of kids wanting to play and get into it and that sort of thing - it can't just be a Grand Slam, a Britain HAS to win Wimbledon.

And we're as close as ever now.

It's not even close. Safina isn't even a grass court player despite her powerful style, it's just way too quick for her and the fact she has Venus banging down approximately 130mph serves isn't helping. I said anything from 6-3 6-3 to 6-3 6-2 or 1 but even that was pushing it.

Can't see why people were getting their hopes up too much for Safina. I'm one of her biggest fans and even I've tightened my arse just in case I, too, get fucked in it during this match. It's not even a competition and it never was going to be. Safina will fight till the end but... not a chance.

In all fairness though, the way Venus is playing, barely anybody would stand a chance. Safina has done much better this year on the grass and already done great to come through some close battles. I understand what you're saying, but outside of Serena, I cant see who else would of gave Venus a run for her money. Seems we're going to get the right final and I cant wait. Maybe I was holding out too much hope of Safina making this game close, but Venus is just on a different level to any woman in the sport right now in terms of on the grass, so yeah pretty much sums it all up.

Edit: Venus literally ass raped her. She just looks unstoppable and the final will hopefully be fantastic, but I'm sticking to the earlier prediction of Venus, because she just looks unbelievable right now.

Edited by Scum Fan 4 Life

Safina will get bagelled or breadsticked in one set. That's almost a given. Venus is going to pistol whip her :(

So Safina got bagelled AND breadsticked. She needs to just pretend that she's injured, take some time off and wait for the Williams Sisters to retire if she ever wants to be seen as anything other than a joke "#1". At least Marat won 2 Slams to take out the sting from some of the fugly matches he'd throw in every so often.

I've said for ages, Murray could win the Aussie Open and I doubt the effects would be too great. If Britain wants tennis to become a huge thing, loads of kids wanting to play and get into it and that sort of thing - it can't just be a Grand Slam, a Britain HAS to win Wimbledon.

If you mean this by the sheer fact that Wimbledon is popular everywhere, then yes. But if you mean that a person has to win locally, then I disagree. Hewitt winning there shot up tennis enormously over here immediately.

As great as the atmosphere and everything is at the Aussie Open, it is so far behind Wimbledon in importance outside of this country.

I'd probably say it is as irrelevant abroad as the US Open seems to be here.

The US Open is the # 2 tournament on the schedule, it's a little silly to say it's irrelevant abroad.

Federer is in the final and now one win away from eclipsing Pete and reclaiming the # 1 ranking. I hope he thrashes whichever Andy he plays.

I've said for ages, Murray could win the Aussie Open and I doubt the effects would be too great. If Britain wants tennis to become a huge thing, loads of kids wanting to play and get into it and that sort of thing - it can't just be a Grand Slam, a Britain HAS to win Wimbledon.

If you mean this by the sheer fact that Wimbledon is popular everywhere, then yes. But if you mean that a person has to win locally, then I disagree. Hewitt winning there shot up tennis enormously over here immediately.

If Andy Murray won the Austrlian, French or US Open - it would be a big achievement, but it wouldn't do much for the sport as a whole in this country. Tennis fans would be happy and non-tennis people would be like "Yay Britain"/"Damn Jock" but nothing much else would happen.

If tennis is to become popular again and have kids wanting to go and play it and start practicing to be a professional, he needs to win Wimbledon. That's the only tournament he can win that will have an effect on whether people pick up a racket for the first time or not. If he won the Austrlian Open he'd get coverage for a day or two and then everyone would stop caring.

It's easy to see when people who have no interest in tennis are suddenly talking about it, that's what Wimbledon does - but otherwise people are largely disinterested. No one cares that Anne Keothovang has had her best year ever, is around the top 50 in the world and actually showing signs of improvement, and vast improvement at that - because she lost in the first round of Wimbledon, she's a failure. So it's not a case of a person has to win locally. It's a case of British players have to win locally.

As for the final, should Murray get there obviously I'm going to be behind him 100% of the way and want him to win. But say he loses, as soon as that point finishes I'm going to be elated for Federer and all he's achieved. It'll be odd for me, because while I like Nadal - whenever he faces Federer I'm always 100% pro-Federer so it'll be weird being happy regardless of outcome for a change.