Tennis!

sahyder1

Greedy Swiss bastard. I was backing Roddick since the final was set. I feel so bad for him. That's the third time Federer's beaten him in the final. I would have beaten the shit out of him at the end of that match. :lol:

I'm more elated for Federer than I am disappointed for Roddick. Then again that's probably because I know that Roddick isn't the best of losers in the world anyways and is a bit arrogant on the whole I find. But for the 2 week tennis fans he's the plucky underdog who that big mean Roger Federer keeps beating so we must love him, right?

Take Federer out and Roddick, Hewitt, Safin + more probably are all a lot more highly regarded and a hell of a lot richer than they are right now.

They're just unfortuante to be in the era of Federer, who will retire the best player to play tennis ever. If not ever then definitely the modern era, but I'd go as far to say Federer is the best tennis player to set foot on this planet. So it's no wonder if baffles me to see so many people clamour for his defeat - whereas I will happily sit and watch tennis masterclasses every time. Everytime I get to watch Federer in a final just seems like such a great thing because of how good he is, and he always saves his best tennis for the end. Whereas Nadal seems to play the first point of the first round of the first tournament of the year at 250% which endears him to so many people but also is evidentally the reason for his injuries and exhaustion he encounters later in the season.

Take Federer out and Roddick, Hewitt, Safin + more probably are all a lot more highly regarded and a hell of a lot richer than they are right now.

They're just unfortuante to be in the era of Federer, who will retire the best player to play tennis ever. If not ever then definitely the modern era, but I'd go as far to say Federer is the best tennis player to set foot on this planet. So it's no wonder if baffles me to see so many people clamour for his defeat - whereas I will happily sit and watch tennis masterclasses every time. Everytime I get to watch Federer in a final just seems like such a great thing because of how good he is, and he always saves his best tennis for the end. Whereas Nadal seems to play the first point of the first round of the first tournament of the year at 250% which endears him to so many people but also is evidentally the reason for his injuries and exhaustion he encounters later in the season.

As much as I don't care for Roddick he would likely have 3 Wimbledons and 2 US Opens which would put him in the mix for top 10-20 of all-time instead of dooming him to One Slam Wonder status.

Hewitt deserves a lot more respect than he gets regardless of Federer. 27 titles, 2 Slams, 2 Masters Cups, 80 weeks at # 1 (75 straight). He was # 1 in the world at 20 and at 6 feet and about 160-170 lbs he was actually a dominant player. Those numbers would likely have been even better, but because he's kind of a prick and he was cocky people overlook his career.

Safin is a headcase and probably would have had the same career 'cause he was concerned with partying and banging models. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :shifty:

Agassi might have gotten to 10 Slams too.

It's kind of amazing how many careers have been destroyed by the combo of Federer/Nadal.

:( Andy...still, he seemed like a class act at the end, and he even managed to get out that little quip to Sampras which was awesome. I think that, in many ways, he's been the star of the tournament, simply because of the last three matches: the quarters match against Lleyton was awesome, coming through against Murray put him in as the crowd favourite, and then finally taking it to Federer when it mattered the most, only to just fall short...wow.

In fact, when you look at the final four as a whole, Roddick by far had the toughest draw. Haas had Cilic who's never really done all that much, and Djokovic who is barely clinging on to his number four slot. Murray only had to deal with Wawrinka (Ferrero doesn't really count these days), and Federer's biggest problems came in Karlovic, who turned out to be all kinds of nothing against him (Soderling, arguably, was an increased threat this time). So, fair play to Roddick, he thoroughly deserves the praise he's getting.

Of course, the question now is - who wins the US Open? If Nadal is fit, he's got as good a shot as any, but you've got to think that if he is fit, he still won't be 100%. Murray's best on a hard court, and he's in much better shape this year than he was last year when he made the final. Djokovic and Del Potro always have a shot to throw in an upset, and Roddick's managed to win this before...but you've got think that it's Federer to lose, if anything. The guy is unstoppable at the US...

I one day hope to be as awesome as Andy Roddick;

While flipping through the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue, Roddick spotted Brooklyn Decker, a fashion model. He had his agent contact her. The two dated since at least the 2007 Davis Cup. On March 31, 2008, Roddick announced on his website that he and Decker had become engaged[8] and they were then married in Austin on April 17, 2009.[9]

Is fucking brilliant enough...but;

Roddick began dating singer Mandy Moore in 2002. Moore, after reading a magazine article about him, thought he was "really cute", so she sent her mother, who was attending a tournament in Toronto, to invite him to her set on a movie she was shooting nearby, How to Deal. Roddick accepted and they began dating.[6] Roddick ended the relationship in March 2004

This man is my god. :(

I don't get why a few people here think he's a slight dick, because he seems like the most awesome guy in tennis right now. Fantastic sense of humour, what a stand up guy :wub:

You sound like someone who just started watching tennis recently. Roddick has routinely berated reporters, officials, linesmen and opponents in the past, even when he was completely wrong about the call. Basically he's John McEnroe or Serena Williams without their resumes. He's one of the cockiest players I've ever seen on the ATP Tour and basically earned a living on the strength of his serve which got him 1 Slam and a 2-19 record against a guy like Federer who could return it. The main reason I don't like him is that he was anointed the "Great American Hope" after he was gifted the 2003 US Open thanks to the schedulemaker and even when he loses the announcers sit there and blow him for the length of the match. When Patrick McEnroe is calling a match of his it's like listening to his homoerotic fantasy.

Basically if you're a Brit who hates Andy Murray you'll understand how I feel about Roddick. Or in your case, think about how you felt about the BBC crew throwing bouquets at Federer all day everyday during Wimbledon and that's what coverage of Roddick is like here. Now think about how retarded that is when Federer has won FOURTEEN more Slams than Roddick and any tourney that's televised over here is going to have both of those guys in the draw.

Because he is? He's an incessent moan to begin with.

Just because he cracks a few jokes and is funny doesn't mean he isn't a bit of a tosser.

And because he moans that makes him a tosser?

Nobody knows him here, so assuming he's an awesome guy isn't out of the question. Actually, him moaning about decisions, players and so on is something that makes me like him even more to be quite honest. I don't just like him because he cracks a joke here and there.

Although I understand where naiwf is coming from and of course you'll see it differently when you're from the same country, plus I do slightly feel that way about Murray. Although then again, I've never cared for Murray one bit, mainly because I hate the Scottish. The constant belief that he'll win Wimbledon is certainly annoying though and I came close to laughing when Roddick beat him, because it's just proved again how over hyped the guy actually is, whether he's a great player or not. So I guess I understand where you're coming from on the Roddick point of view, but personally he just appeals to me more than most of the other players (apart from possibly Nadal).

Edited by Scum Fan 4 Life

I've never cared for Murray one bit, mainly because I hate the Scottish

Fucking hell.

Care to explain?

I don't like the Scottish, I dislike his attitude and I hate how he's become more over hyped than what Henman was. I've just never really liked him and even if he started winning everything, I'd still feel the same way. Sorry, is it a crime to not like him?

I've never cared for Murray one bit, mainly because I hate the Scottish

Fucking hell.

Care to explain?

I don't really need to. You just sound like a massive twat (so business as usual).

He's more hyped than Henman was because, even at 22, he's playing at a higher level than Henman could ever achieve.

...as someone who once got warned for using the N word and "tree swinger" in a single sentence..."I hate the Scottish" might be the most fantastically racist thing I've seen on this board...said without any form of irony at all...brilliant.