Tennis!

sahyder1

Flavia Pennetta has fast become one of my favourite female players. She's had a great season, and she's one of the few girls who doesn't spend the whole match choking. I'm not a huge fan of women's tennis, but her win over Zvonareva was great both for the six saved MPs and the typical Russian implosion at the end. Shame she went out to Serena.

I remember a couple of weeks ago seeing in the paper about Wozniacki winning the Pilot Pen down in New Haven. After that, just decided to check and see how well she's been doing in the Open here. Apparently I made a good choice, being in the finals. Unlike jumping on the Oudin bandwagon like every other American.

I think this is the most I've cared about pro tennis before, the little it is now.

Edited by Lowerdeck

Australia continuing in our tradition of breeding nutjobs, this time Australian Open and US Open boys' singles champion Bernard Tomic:

DETAILS have emerged of a rift between former world No.1 LleytonHewitt and his Australian heir apparent Bernard Tomic following apractice snub at Wimbledon.

Hewitt and Tomic have not spoken since the incident, confirmedyesterday by Hewitt's manager David Drysdale and considered by afurious Hewitt to be a lack of respect.

Tennis Australia's tennis director Craig Tiley said yesterday hewas aware that Tomic's father, John, who recently asked TA to spendvast sums on his son, had declined the practice invitation on hisson's behalf on Wimbledon's middle Sunday, as Hewitt prepared forhis fourth-round match and Tomic to contest the junior event.

But it has been neither forgotten nor forgiven, with Drysdaledescribing as ''interesting'' any scenario in which the pair wasselected in the Davis Cup squad for Australia's first tie nextyear.

''I don't think Bernard should expect much from Lleyton, that'sfor sure,'' Drysdale said. ''To say that we were less thanimpressed would be an understatement.''

As Team Hewitt tells it, several phone calls were made to Tomic,his father and an IMG agent on the Saturday evening, asking ifTomic would hit at 1pm the following day.

There was no response, but the 16-year-old was present whenHewitt arrived to practise, his physiotherapist Ivan Gutierrezmaking the approach to the Tomic entourage.

''We turned up and saw the Tomics around and we thought, 'Oh,maybe they got our message, and they were there to hit withLleyton','' Drysdale said, ''so Ivan went over to Bernard's trainerat the time, Rudy [sopko] and said 'Is Bernard here to hit?'. Rudyknew nothing of it but said 'Look, Bernard's looking for a practicepartner and I think Bernard would like to do it', but then theagent came in and said, 'No, he's not hitting with Lleyton,Lleyton's not good enough'.

''They were his words: 'Lleyton's not good enough' and we justabout dropped on the spot. We were pretty dumbfounded. Lleyton justcould not believe it, and the more he thought about it the angrierhe got about it.''

Salting the wound was a subsequent conversation with Spain'sJuan Carlos Ferrero at courtside. ''Ivan asked if he was availableto practise at one o'clock and Juan Carlos said, 'No, no, I've gota practice partner, but that young Australian kid Tomic, he justcame and asked me to hit, why don't you ask him?','' Drysdalesaid.

''Then we told Juan Carlos what had happened and his coach saidthat if a leading player in Spain asked a junior to practise andthe junior said no, that he would never get to hit with a seniorplayer again, they would make sure he had all his funding andsupport from the national federation cut and that he would be, inthe coach's words, 'strung up from a tree by his balls'.''

If Brydan Klein wasn't bad enough...

• 4 months later...

I actually got to see some tennis this weekend! Murray did really well against Isner, knew if he came through the scare at 5-6 in the first then he'd breeze through. He needs to keep this going against Nadal, not dropped a set yet but Nadal isa brilliant player on his day.