Tennis!

sahyder1

Yeah sure, whatever you say.

Routine tournament there for Murray, doesn't get much better than that. He never really looked particularly troubled, and while his matches weren't blow outs all he had to do was hold serve - something that is much better now, it's a much bigger, stronger first serve now but his second serve is still a little suspect - and when it got to a particular point (round about 3-3 in a match) he'd turn the screw and break serve. He's doing really well at the minute and you do have to feel a Grand Slam is awaiting in the not too distant future.

Andy Murray has played a brilliant tournament this week, absolutely seemless, this is already on course for his best year yet and if he can get a Grand Slam in 2009 that'll cement it. I don't think it'll come at Wimbledon though, he's got more of a chance on the hard courts at the US Open later this year.

I never said at any point that being moody was a "turn up for the books". I said it made him a knob. Which is a perfectly reasonable assessment.

The fact that he was young can be used to mitigate his actions to some extent, but it doesn't completely excuse him from any responsibility

Edited by metalman

I never said at any point that being moody was a "turn up for the books". I said it made him a knob. Which is a perfectly reasonable assessment.

Only if you're being a knob yourself. I'd say his behavior (although it was nowhere near as bad as you seem to think) was not really any different from most teenagers, the difference is he's in the papers every week because of the media's obsession with British sportsmen.

It's like the English mongs that still hold his 'supporting anyone but England' comment against him and use it as a stick to beat him with, even though it was clearly said in jest.

Yes, his behaviour isn't different from most teenagers, but someone in his position should be expected to act with a higher degree of professionalism given his status as a role model and such, similar as to what was said about the similar problems Wayne Rooney had with his mood. Obviously it is difficult to cope with pressure at a young age but there are a number of examples of people managing to that - most obvious being Rafael Nadal, who is just a year older than Andy Murray if I remember correctly.

Furthermore, I'm not on some zealous proving-Andy-Murray-is-a-knob crusade. When I originally said that it was quite obviously a joke rather than anything else. I just took exception to the sarcastic remarks I received in return. It wasn't very nice. :/ ha.

So yeah...basically that is me conceding defeat because this isn't really going anywhere and I've got to out now. haha.

Obviously a joke? Nah it wasn't.

To give this some relevance and make it so what looks like a semi-popular thread isn't really masking as an argument over whether or not Andy Murray is grown up (to be honest I don't really remember any temper tantrums at all), Tommy Haas followed on from a good run at Roland Garros by taking the Halle title (The one Roger Federer wins most years - but he pulled out with fatigue) and he beat Djokovic in the final.

If he can get a decent enough draw he could push into the 2nd week of Wimbledon.

Edited by IAceI

Good results for Haas and Murray. I don't really care for Murray so there you go. I'm really looking forward to Wimbledon now; I just hope Roger can win it back, and I'd love to see him against someone like Murray in the final.

It would certainly be fitting if Federer wins No. 15 at Wimbledon, where it all began. Hopefully he doesn't pay attention to the media hype and just focus on winning the matches.

Mens side of things, looked like Rafa has done his media work. He's going to work to be fit in time for Wimbledon but may not be 100%, therefore if he loses he's been beaten because he's injured and if he win's then he's a warrior. He can't lose. Would be the perfect setting for Federer to break the record as well, Wimbledon, the most prestigous of them all. It's quite sad, the grass season is pretty pathetic and if it weren't for the fact Wimbledon is what it is, I couldn't care if it was scrapped and we just brought forward the hard court season and then gave them an earlier finish.

What I don't seem to get is that, I'm pretty sure in a few years, Rafa's not going to be around anymore. My family and others are all claiming he'll get 14 grand slams younger than Federer will, but I think they're seriously overlooking their longevity. Rafa's knees are crumbling, sure for now it's his fans' excuse when he loses, but soon it's going to be their excuse when he retires prematurely. He puts such strain on his body he'll have come and gone sooner than most. Whereas look at Federer, arguably the worst we've seen him in years and this season he's got the final of a Grand Slam and won the only one he's never won yet. And this is him being bad?

Going back to Nadal a bit, I think it's very probable that he'd match Federer's career Grand Slam (maybe this year?), at least before his legs give out.

Nevermind that, I can't believe he's our second best player now! That's how bad a state our game is in aside from Murray right now.

And apparently Murray has been made second favourite to Federer due to Nadal's injuries, although I wouldn't count Nadal out if he had one leg.