Tennis!

sahyder1

I'll probably be watching, unless my mum pisses me off by cheering whenever Murray scores a point. I don't see the appeal of cheering for your countrymen in individual sports just because they were born in the same place as you, since they're playing for themselves essentially. I like Federer a fair bit so I'll be cheering for him, but as long as it's a good match I won't mind who wins that much.

I definitely think Murray can do it. He has a great game to match up against Federer, Federer just doesn't like playing against him.

At the minute I don't think there is truthfully a player with more talent than Murray. He possesses so many different shots and is just so tactically astute its unreal. He's really confident as well and just an all round great player with so many brilliant attributes.

I'm a massive Federer fan, and prefer him over Nadal, although Nadal is too nice to actually dislike. But yeah, Murray is probably playing the best tennis in the world at the minute and is having a great season and I don't think he's going to let pressure get to him, which is what British tennis needs with the ruthlessness of our public. It'll be interesting to see if he does win, because at the end of the day this is the biggest and most attended annual sporting event in the year but so many people don't realise it's even going on so I don't necessarily think people will flock to the local courts Tuesday morning should he win. I think if British tennis is going to get a load of casual fans wanting to play then we need a Brit to win Wimbledon.

And of course there's the added bonus people seemingly dislike Murray and will want him to lose, despite being British. And despite the fact he is the total package with everything a champion needs. Amazing that Wimbledon was the first time he even made the last 8 of a Grand Slam, and here he is being touted by many to win the US Open just a couple of months later.

I'll be staying up and watching and cheering on the Brit. Anyone who sits and watches the match, if he produces the tennis he did against Wawrinka, Del Potro and certainly Nadal - will slowly turn onto his side if they start the match with the mentality that they want him to lose.

I need Sky...or a decent internet connection...i watched him beat Nadal and Del Porto at work...was very impressed seems to be much more dangerous on hard court. Nadal was caught out too many times by the pace of Murrays shot and its Nadal he's a machine doesn't usually happen to him. I only really follow the big four in tennis along with the Davis cup when it gets coverage...so don't really know much about it.

Trust Federer to produce the best tennis of his season just then. Still, Murray will win a Grand Slam title one day and it's good to get this one under his belt at a young age. Like Djokovic did he'll rebound and he will win a grand slam, he has the game to beat Federer, Nadal and Djokovic and as long as he can beat any of them 3 he can win a grand slam. It makes the Slams much more interesting because outside of the French if them 4 are in the semi finals it could be anyones guess as to who will win the whole tournament - which is what tennis needs, 4 great players with the ability and talent to win a grand slam.

• 4 months later...

Opening day has been under way for a while, with most the favourites progressing. But the main reason I made the thread is because two Brits are already out and an Aussie youngster just progressed into the second round >_>

Ah the Australian Open. The forgotten Grand Slam as Eurosport show it and barely anyone cares <_<

Hewitt vs. Gonzalez looks to be the pick of the first round matches. Can't really see there being too many upsets early on in this tournament, be interesting to see how Tsonga builds on his performance last year. He has a lot of points to defend here.

Meh I like the Aussie Open but I can only have a fleeting knowledge of it due to time differences, much prefer the other Grand Slams but it sets the tone early on to see who could be in for a good year.

Caroline joins my list of "fit women who can't hold it together." As she loses to Serb-Croat... sorry Australian... Jelena Dokic. Forgetting the fact she shunned Australia to be recognised as Yugoslavian after she got a bad draw at the Aussie Open.

But forgive and forget. She looked impressive today, much like her old self so we can assume things are going well with her nutjob family again.

So I'd heard and read about it, and seen little bits, but I was just watching like a 2 minute long or so clip of it and it seemed pretty nasty. Considering all they could seem to get their hands on were plastic chairs, I still wouldn't have wanted to been in the middle of it as they didn't give a shit who got in the way.

For anyone who doesn't know, although if you're in this thread then I'd imagine you're actually tracking the Open and have probably heard it, but Serbian and Bosnian fans clashed. Last year it was Serbian and Croatian after a match between two players of those nations, this time it was Djokovic vs. Delic (Who is a Bosnian born American) so there was a bit of a ruckus afterwards. Even saw a kid that looked about 8 picking up coins or something and launching them around.

Shame as at the end it showed a couple of fit lasses who had been clocked by the looks of it. I'd have been there in a flash to help them out. Whether they were with the Serbs/Bosnians or just innocent fans I don't know. But they were fit and didn't deserve that. 2 got arrested, 30 got ejected but it looked like some of the fighting was just picked up on the outside of the gates so whether it was actually stopped I dunno.

Bit of a shame but I don't think there's anyway you can really stop it from happening. Just glad the match went off without a hitch as I know over the passed few months Djokovic has been targeted a few times (In USA I think) probably by former-Yugoslav country fans/immigrants.

It is a pretty big problem and happens every year (and not just at tennis, mind you). Because Melbourne has pretty high populations (both ex-pat and second gen) of those from Central Europe, it is to be expected. What happened today was pretty digusting; namely the girl who got absolutely polaxed by a chair. I don't know how you stop it, though. More police presence? Closing the doors on matches which can potentially result in that sort of thing?

In any event, great to see Jelana win, and I feel genuinely sorry for her considering her old man is an absolute cretin. She's a bit of a smoky of making the quarters as well, now that Ivanovic lost. Very happy for her.

Elsewhere, I find it difficult to see Federer losing. He was very good again tonight against Safin, and with the draw he has been given a win would be an awesome effort. Can't stand Djokovic, so hope he goes pretty soon. But there's a whole lot of guys left in the draw who can on their day make it to the final - namely Nadal, Federer, Novak, Murray, Del Potro and even someone like Berdych if he plays the awesome tennis he did against Wawrinka tonight. Interesting week ahead.