Tennis!

sahyder1

• 1 month later...

Just wondering what people think.

I was having a conversation/debate with a friend at half-time in the Arsenal game for some reason about this, I said no because basically there's nowhere near as much interest in the women tennis unless it's someone like Sharapova (for her being hot) as well as that they play three sets while men play more. What ya think?

They aren't as talented and don't work as hard so no.

Basically his arguement was that because they're women, their bodies can't handle playing the same amount of sets as men, which basically made me go "bullshit, if they can't play as much why should they be paid as much?".

If they don't play as much as the men do, why should they get paid the same?

Fair enough. That seems reasonable.

How exactly can you say that? Tell me they aren't as popular, tell me they don't bring in as much money, but what makes you think they dont put in as much effort?

How exactly can you say that? Tell me they aren't as popular, tell me they don't bring in as much money, but what makes you think they dont put in as much effort?

If they bring in more money than the men in TV revenue bla bla bla, then they should get a bigger share. Thats the way I see it, the more you make for the sport/organisers/sponsers, the more your cut is.

And anyay, since when did women leave the kitchen?

I think neither the men or women players should get as much as they are getting, because tennis is not cool.

Or, women should be payed the same as they are just as talented and it is more then one or two players winning. It's just as entertaining, and I would argue that the shorter match times make it better.

Nah, it's not so much the shorter sets for me because only in Grand Slams do the men play best of 5 and ocassionally in Masters Series Finals. It's more the fact that in the first round of a Men's tournament, you've always got good matches, well, except a few.

Very rarely will the first round of a women's event provide a good match-up. Justine Henin Hardenne went through the first three rounds of Wimbledon dropping only something like 3-4 games. There isn't the depth in women's tennis to allow them to get the same amount of money because the first few rounds are just cannon fodder rounds.

There lucky to get as much as they do now, with what Billie Jean King done yadda yadda, and the fact women's tennis is one of the more popular and exposed women's sports. I think it's alright as is.

In the July 31st issue of Sports Illustrated, they did a piece on what the average competitor in each sport makes. The average male tennis player makes, in a full season, $260,000. The average women player, in a full season, makes $345,000.

Edited by Mountain Dew Plunge

Of course they shouldn't.

Well, depends - in day to day tournaments were both sexes play over 3 sets then why shouldn't they be paid the same....However at Wimbledon, the US, Aus and French open of course they shouldn't.

They play far fewer sets and the standard of competition is much lower (VERY few upsets in ladies tennis)

I can see the argument for them not playing as much, but the guy who said they don't put as much effort is out of his mind.

I would determine it more on who is bringing in the ratings, becuase that is where the majority of money is being made. Regardless of who is playing more sets, if more people are tuning in to watch the women, that is where the money should go. I personally find Women's more exciting and bareable to watch due to 3 sets, unless the guys have an amazing match (Agassi/Blake, Nadal/Federer on Clay) I can not stand to watch it.

Whoever wins the ratings, wins the cash.

Why not just have both sexes in one big tournament with the winner winning both pots? Or would the sexism arguement be used there aswell when they are eliminated sooner?

Apparently they want to do that, but for some reason or the other they can't.