Tennis!

sahyder1

Cracking game between Venus and Kimiko. Right now Kimiko is simply outplaying her. Venus really needs to start to utilize her serve more and pick her game up, otherwise she's in danger of going a set down early on. While Venus isn't at her best right now, Kimiko is playing some lovely stuff.

I'm in America at the minute watching the coverage and I'm absolutely baffled as to how an American can know a single thing about a tennis player who isn't American. Everytime I watch it's a Williams sister or Roddick. What do they do when they all get knocked out in the Quarters or whenever? Just stop broadcasting the tournament? :P

Date-Krumm has been awesome on the volley, so good for a 40-year old. Great to watch.

I'm in America at the minute watching the coverage and I'm absolutely baffled as to how an American can know a single thing about a tennis player who isn't American. Everytime I watch it's a Williams sister or Roddick. What do they do when they all get knocked out in the Quarters or whenever? Just stop broadcasting the tournament? :P

Date-Krumm has been awesome on the volley, so good for a 40-year old. Great to watch.

They find Doubles or Juniors who are American and show them a lot. Early rounds the coverage is always focused on the American players, pretty annoying.

I've been used to it before but it can get irksome. Mind you if Britain had as many good players as USA do then I suppose our coverage would be the same. I know the Williams/Date-Krumm match has been decent so far (although KDK is collapsing) but for the most part these matches are a routine precession for these players so it'd be nice to see some watchable tennis a little bit more often than people crushing an opponent. Mind you from what I saw Beck put up a good fight against Roddick yesterday, saw a bit of the second set and he didn't look too bad.

• Like 1

It is refreshing with the roof that we can at least watch tennis all the time, no more sitting and watching Sue Barker's face for 7 hours of the day as she tries to pass the time before passing us off to an hour of Bargain Hunt coz the rain is so set in.

Also since it was going on in the U21 footy thread I'd just like to get my own back thanks to Connor Niland and say: "lol, Ireland".

Our 1000/1 outsider predictably lost in the first round in a sport we're traditionally shit at, the exact same as the predictable hyping up and subsequent early elimination of English Football teams! :D

• Like 1

Was a joke.

For the record I like Niland, been doing quite well in the level two matches for a long time now it seems but just never been able to really get to that next step. Guess some people just aren't cut out for it, but he's always been a mainstay at the challenger level and it's hard to believe he's nearly 30. Mind you, there's no reason he couldn't do a Michael Russell and have his best years after 30 years old, rather than the other way round.

For the record play is about to get underway for the outside courts in the next few minutes, not sure how long we'll get out of it but will be good to have some choice again if you so please.

PS: Venus needs to stop giving up break points when I've put money on her. KDK is still fighting but you can see it's less effective now than it was. Unfortunately Venus seems to be trying to take the fur off the ball with the power she's hitting some shots and I don't think she needs to do that so much. She just needs to push KDK around a bit more and try and get to the net before her opponent, mind you KDK can come out with some brilliant angles when push comes to shove.

Edited by IAceI

Job done for Venus, just. Highly entertaining but I still maintain some of the actual tennis was awful at times, and great at other times but on balance a fun and entertaining match. Sweeting/Nadal on ESPN for me next, then Roddick on later (with updates on how Fish is doing against Istomin too) but all matches have the potential to be good viewing.

Was I the only one rooting for Date-Krumm to somehow beat Venus? Great match, and the ESPN commentators were spot on: KDK played one bad game all match, and it just happened to come at the worst possible time :(

Nah I think most people wanted KDK to win, at least the neutrals but I know from experience going down to Wimbledon there's a big affection for Venus & Serena. Something to do with liberating women and empowering people I think. :P But yeah, I sat in front of some, erm, vocal, Serena fans a few years back who hooted and hollered whenever Williams won a point.

Sadly I don't think many other women players will take note of KDK's performance, she clearly troubled Venus with her slice and low bouncing shots, and blocking those big first serves to neutralise Venus but I suppose we'll be back to women thinking they can out hit Venus in the next few rounds and probably failing miserably. It's a bit sad sometimes on how few women players can utilise a good slice in a match.

So moving on in the womens draw.. who will Wozniacki choke to? ¬_¬

FFS! The last time I put a multi bet on the tennis, Wawrinka fucked up and I lose $400 :(...

Today I've got...

Fish to beat Istomin

Wawrinka to beat Bolleli

Raonic to beat Muller

Simon to beat Sela

Ljubicic to beat Stakhovsky

Kuznetsova to Dulgheru

Hantuchova to beat Erakovic

I put $20 on it at measily $11 odds... and Fish just beat Istomin but fucking Wawrinka is letting me down again :(