Better Call Saul

Sousa

Solid finale to cap a good season. Nothing insane happened, but I don't think this is that kind of show, at least not until Saul becomes, well, Saul, which he clearly is on the road to doing. People are going to be disappointed that Nacho didn't murder Chuck or Gus didn't show up, but that's pretty unfair.

I was really that in to the finale. I mean I wasn't expecting some Breaking Bad shenanigans where it was going to be brutal or anything, I just wasn't that in to spending so much time with an essentially new character that I didn't really like or care about.

That said, I did thoroughly enjoy the jazzy 60's montage.

Not the finale I expected. It was good though. On reflection it probably needed a more feelgood (if you can call it that) ending with Jimmy becoming stronger and more confident. Sets us up much better for a second season.

Without spoilers - was it a satisfying ending for the season, or has it got a cliffhanger?

No cliffhanger. It ended where it there was no season 2, the series would have a proper finale. Satisfying enough for me. Some will be/are disappointed with the lack of action, but those are the same types that struggled through the first 2-3 seasons of BB before it "got good".

• Like 1

A lawyer gave some perspective on the choice Jimmy made at the end of the season finale in /r/BetterCallSaul.

I thought it was good but not really what I was expecting? I actually loved all the Cicero stuff while at the same time feeling like they didn't quite stick the landing. It's okay, though, show's great all the same. Looking forward to season two.

• Like 1

Just finished it. I'm gonna go ahead and play the opposite here and say it was totally what I was expecting because pretty much everything I told Ms. LL last week happened. The only thing I didn't predict was that HHM would try to bring in another firm to help them out and that Jimmy would get the chance to work with them. After Kim put herself out there to get him this opportunity, this will most certainly cause some dissension between them.

I really enjoyed the finale and the iconic pinky ring really brought it all together in the end. I really can't wait for season 2.

One thing I was nicely surprised by was that they didn't play out a whole scene with Jimmy being angry at Kim not telling him about Chuck and stuff, and that it was actually quite a nice little moment with her telling him why she didn't and him accepting it. I feel like some shows would have rinsed loads of unnecessary stuff out of that.

• Like 1

"If you'd just listen to me..."

"NO! I AM ANGRY AT YOU AND WILL NOT BE A REASONABLE AND NORMAL HUMAN BEING AND GIVE YOU A CHANCE TO SEE TWO OR THREE SENTENCES THAT MIGHT EXPLAIN WHY SOMEONE I DEEPLY CARE FOR SEEMINGLY BETRAYED ME!"

For real, that trope is the worst.

• Like 2

Saul's ark kinda mirrors Walther White's ark, doesn't it?

Like Walter when he was offered financial support by Elliott and Gretchen Schwartz he could've done the right thing and quit his "evil ways" (although I think Walter would've been set for life if sought out their help whereas Saul still has several years of work ahead of him before becoming partner while not earning as much as he would've with Hamlin) but they didn't because he was good at and enjoyed being "Slippin Jimmy" (just like Walter liked and was good at being Heisenberg as he admited himself when talking to his wife one last time), he wanted to prove that he could suceed on his own without anyone's help (like Walter) and (even more so than Walter) he is creedy.

• Like 1

Finally caught up, and I thought the show as a whole was excellent. I didn't love the finale, but I think that's just because it didn't have the same impact the three episodes before it had on me. I love the slow burn of the show, and it's excellent study of characters. The finale sets up the second season nicely, but I think all the really important stuff happened in the episodes proceeding it -- it kind of reminded of Game of Thrones in that way. Great stuff, I'm thoroughly enjoying Saul's backstory, and I'm in no rush for it to have been any other way, and I also don't feel the need to meet any Breaking Bad characters any time soon.

• Like 1

I went back and watched some of the Saul scenes in Breaking Bad yesterday. With the benefit of watching Better Call Saul, it's actually more interesting than I thought to begin with seeing him go from Jimmy to just how polished and confident and largely conscienceless he is as full blown Saul.

• 1 month later...

I hope this is the right thread for this, but I saw this in my Facebook news:

Aaron Paul Teams Up With Breaking Bad And Better Call Saul Producer For New Project

Breaking Bad fans can celebrate after Aaron Paul, who of course played the loveable Jesse Pinkman in Breaking Bad, revealed that he is teaming up with Mark Johnson, the executive producer on both Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad.

Paul has often been linked with a cameo appearance on Better Call Saul, but it seems that at least for the foreseeable future, he will be tied up shooting ‘The Parts You Lose.’

There is still no set date for Paul to reprise his role as Pinkman in a cameo, but for our money, it needs to happen ASAP!

I'm so tired of BB fans like that author clamoring for a Walter or Jessie cameo. I'd be fine with no more BB cameos at all, although Gus or Huell could feasibly work. "omg look it's Walt!" doesn't add anything to the show outside of cheap fan service to BB fans. Let BCS stand on its own merit.

Edited by HeadChuck McGill