Random Music Thoughts

Benji

I really like electronic music. I'm a big fan of Prodigy, Underworld, Utah Saints, Chemical Brothers as far as more mainstream groups go, then I like a variety of other stuff (especially Detroit stuff, Underground Resistance is my shit. And then some stuff from the UK, some "Digital Hardcore). Anyway, what would be a good starting point for Daft Punk based on what I just said? I've never really heard much of them honestly, just never really decided to check them out one day so I'm a bit lost on their stuff. 

Discovery is the one with the pop hits. Homework is the critics’ choice. Human After All is a bit shit. Random Access Memories is nice but more disco and yacht rock and not really electronic music. Alive is a live album.

I’d recommend Discovery tbh. As well as having the hits I’d also say it’s the strongest as a whole.

29 minutes ago, VerbalPuke said:

I really like electronic music. I'm a big fan of Prodigy, Underworld, Utah Saints, Chemical Brothers as far as more mainstream groups go, then I like a variety of other stuff (especially Detroit stuff, Underground Resistance is my shit. And then some stuff from the UK, some "Digital Hardcore). Anyway, what would be a good starting point for Daft Punk based on what I just said? I've never really heard much of them honestly, just never really decided to check them out one day so I'm a bit lost on their stuff. 

If you like the Detroit scene, Homework. To me, the Detroit scene is very raw and rough and that is what Homework is. 

• Like 1

Remember the White Stripes? I was never too fussed by them but I’ve been listening to that album Icky Thump for the first time today (I’ve always thought the title track is a proper banger and I just let it play on this time) and it’s really working for me in a way no other White Stripes album has. It obviously has a few dodgy parts but overall I’m really enjoying it. Wasn’t expecting that at all.

• Like 1

On 02/03/2021 at 01:58, Malenko said:

To be fair, you probably should stay there. You won't find much similar to what you described above in their other albums.

I disagree. Human After All is conceptually similar to Homework in that it is scuzzier and dirtier than Discovery and RAM. People don't love it because it is at times basic and repetitive. But I absolutely adore the album. I think @VerbalPuke may actually really enjoy Human After All, because I have always thought about it as a punk rock electronic album. 

On 02/03/2021 at 05:47, metalman said:

Remember the White Stripes? I was never too fussed by them but I’ve been listening to that album Icky Thump for the first time today (I’ve always thought the title track is a proper banger and I just let it play on this time) and it’s really working for me in a way no other White Stripes album has. It obviously has a few dodgy parts but overall I’m really enjoying it. Wasn’t expecting that at all.

Get Behind Me Satan was my favorite of their albums. I did really like Icky Thump. I think as they branched out from their style of rock and embraced more genres, they showed a lot of potential. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RPS said:

I disagree. Human After All is conceptually similar to Homework in that it is scuzzier and dirtier than Discovery and RAM. People don't love it because it is at times basic and repetitive. But I absolutely adore the album. I think @VerbalPuke may actually really enjoy Human After All, because I have always thought about it as a punk rock electronic album. 

It's definitely on the rock side of things. I wouldn't call it punk (not in the same way I'd do it with prodigy, the bloody beetroots or atari teenage riot and others) but regardless that's not what I was referring to. Most bands he mentioned are techno/breakbeat/big beat and you can hear the influence of those genres in homework, even if it's mostly house as most of Daft punk's early work and that's why I said he probably should stay there.

Nevertheless I'll retract that statement because he really should give it a go and maybe he'll like it and I'm really not the person who should be telling him not to try listening to something that he may enjoy.

I take it back.

1 minute ago, Malenko said:

It's definitely on the rock side of things. I wouldn't call it punk (not in the same way I'd do it with prodigy, the bloody beetroots or atari teenage riot and others) but regardless that's not what I was referring to. Most bands he mentioned are techno/breakbeat/big beat and you can hear the influence of those genres in homework, even if it's mostly house as most of Daft punk's early work and that's why I said he probably should stay there.

Nevertheless I'll retract that statement because he really should give it a go and maybe he'll like it and I'm really not the person who should be telling him not to try listening to something that he may enjoy.

I take it back.

Don't have to take it back my friend. I think you were on point with what you had written. I think most people wouldn't recommend Human After All because they think it is a bad album. 

24 minutes ago, RPS said:

Don't have to take it back my friend. I think you were on point with what you had written. I think most people wouldn't recommend Human After All because they think it is a bad album

This has literally never stopped me from listening to....well a lot of shit haha. 

Listening to Human After All right now, cool start so far. 

You know what it reminds me of a bit? A group called Digital Leather, but more danceable. Digital Leather is a cool electronic inspired band but they're more on the synth punk side of things (they did a lot of shows with garage punk bands when that was sorta a big thing in the 00s). I like this so far, also getting a little bit of a Kraftwerk vibe here. 

Ok, Robot Rock is a fucking tune, great stuff. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, VerbalPuke said:

This has literally never stopped me from listening to....well a lot of shit haha. 

Listening to Human After All right now, cool start so far. 

You know what it reminds me of a bit? A group called Digital Leather, but more danceable. Digital Leather is a cool electronic inspired band but they're more on the synth punk side of things (they did a lot of shows with garage punk bands when that was sorta a big thing in the 00s). I like this so far, also getting a little bit of a Kraftwerk vibe here. 

Ok, Robot Rock is a fucking tune, great stuff. 

I'm less surprised you like digital leather than human after all. Have you tried shitdisco?

If anyone is looking for a follow-up to the Daft Punk discussion, I have been listening to Soulwax's album Nite Versions and it is exceptional. I was obsessed with this album in 2009-2010, but I just got around to listening to it now. Probably one of the best electronic albums of the century. Soulwax released an average album called Any Minute Now, which was a very safe indie rock/electronic album. It is actually quite boring. The album got meh reviews.

So Soulwax decided they would release an album taking the samples and highlights of the album and turn into an album that felt like a drunk and scuzzy night where you drop some drugs and hit up like 10 different bars.  But each song blends together. It feels less like an album and more like a mix tape. The same vocal samples pop up here and there, as the vocal samples are from the same man and the same woman. But they pop up throughout the album. 

The album starts as a cover/tribute to the Daft Punk song Teachers. Daft Punk has a killer song where it is a tribute dance song to all their influences. Soulwax turns into a punk rock/heavy metal influenced dance song where they name all of their influences - The Breeders, Guns and Roses, Nirvana, etc. Each song weaves between punk, electronic, and rock. The album peaks at the end with the NY LIpps and Another Excuse which utilizes the same vocal samples over two incredible songs. A woman screaming 'THIS IS THE EXCUSE' over a bizarro cow bell inspired disco song and suddenly turns into this sinister techno track which is the DFA remix of the original Any Minute Now song. 

If anyone likes it and wants more, they are also the DJs known as "As Heard on Radio Soulwax", who released a series of concerts/mix tapes that are absolutely unreal. 

• Like 1

I will just turn this into my random musings about electronic music I am obsessing over recently. 

Jai Paul is exceptional. I actually never listened to the leaked music back in 2013, because I felt it was irresponsible to do so. Jai Paul never wanted the demos and the work to be released in the way it was. But he opted to release in 2019 as a release and detailed his anxiety and dread around the leak in 2013. 

Leak 04-13 (Bait Ones) is exceptional. You can take someone obsessed over each sound that comes off the record. Even something like the vocals on Jai Paul and the distortion applied to it. It is not a consistent distortion of his vocals. It ebbs and flows with that bass sound on the track. I could imagine him obsessing over segment of the vocal to have it perfect. The same goes for every single piece of the music. The drums. The handclaps. It is all extraordinary. 

BTSTU is the last track on the album and it is magical. It is labeled demo, but the ideas and thoughts in this song are something electronic musicians would try to accomplish across an entire career. If this is the only album Jai Paul releases, it will be something I understand and a shame. I would understand why somebody would never want to release another album after the first one was stolen from you and released to the public without your knowledge. But also a shame because you can tell he has an exceptional view for music.

On 11/03/2021 at 12:48, RPS said:

If anyone is looking for a follow-up to the Daft Punk discussion, I have been listening to Soulwax's album Nite Versions and it is exceptional. I was obsessed with this album in 2009-2010, but I just got around to listening to it now. Probably one of the best electronic albums of the century. Soulwax released an average album called Any Minute Now, which was a very safe indie rock/electronic album. It is actually quite boring. The album got meh reviews.

So Soulwax decided they would release an album taking the samples and highlights of the album and turn into an album that felt like a drunk and scuzzy night where you drop some drugs and hit up like 10 different bars.  But each song blends together. It feels less like an album and more like a mix tape. The same vocal samples pop up here and there, as the vocal samples are from the same man and the same woman. But they pop up throughout the album. 

The album starts as a cover/tribute to the Daft Punk song Teachers. Daft Punk has a killer song where it is a tribute dance song to all their influences. Soulwax turns into a punk rock/heavy metal influenced dance song where they name all of their influences - The Breeders, Guns and Roses, Nirvana, etc. Each song weaves between punk, electronic, and rock. The album peaks at the end with the NY LIpps and Another Excuse which utilizes the same vocal samples over two incredible songs. A woman screaming 'THIS IS THE EXCUSE' over a bizarro cow bell inspired disco song and suddenly turns into this sinister techno track which is the DFA remix of the original Any Minute Now song. 

If anyone likes it and wants more, they are also the DJs known as "As Heard on Radio Soulwax", who released a series of concerts/mix tapes that are absolutely unreal. 

So I listened to the entire album this morning while cleaning the kitchen (in fact, my daughter and I danced to Teachers together!). I loved it, I absolutely loved it. Teachers is a brilliant opener, a catchy banger for sure and a very cool idea for a song (and honestly I want to borrower liberally from this idea for my own music). I think my favorite though was Compute, that was just such a cool beat. I also liked how the songs don't really end, they just sort of fade into the next track. I'll guarantee they will be on my year end list on Spotify now. Also probably going to see if I can track down a vinyl copy of this album. 

Some of it reminded me of a group called Holy Fuck. They're really cool, not as much as a dancy electronic band, more like on the instrumental/sorta garagey punk side of it but definitely catchy and cool. 

This whole album is really good, but I think this is my favorite track...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, VerbalPuke said:

So I listened to the entire album this morning while cleaning the kitchen (in fact, my daughter and I danced to Teachers together!). I loved it, I absolutely loved it. Teachers is a brilliant opener, a catchy banger for sure and a very cool idea for a song (and honestly I want to borrower liberally from this idea for my own music). I think my favorite though was Compute, that was just such a cool beat. I also liked how the songs don't really end, they just sort of fade into the next track. I'll guarantee they will be on my year end list on Spotify now. Also probably going to see if I can track down a vinyl copy of this album. 

Some of it reminded me of a group called Holy Fuck. They're really cool, not as much as a dancy electronic band, more like on the instrumental/sorta garagey punk side of it but definitely catchy and cool. 

This whole album is really good, but I think this is my favorite track...

Holy Fuck takes me back. I used to love this album when it first came out. Going to listen to it all day tomorrow.

If you like Soulwax, check out their DJ sets "As Heard On Radio Soulwax". The second one "As Heard on Radio Soulwax Pt. 2" is legendary because in the first 10 minutes it samples The Stooges, Salt N Peppa, Basement Jaxx, Peaches, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, and Velvet Underground. It is a wild ride that feels like the mind of somebody on acid and E making a DJ mix. 

• Like 1