EWB's Favorite Movie 2015: The Voting

GoGo Yubari

On 3/2/2016 at 19:30, DFF said:

I've not heard of the former, but the latte doesn't get released in the UK until a little later this year.

It apparently got released in November. It's a fantastic dramedy about two transgender sex workers, that was entirely shot on an iPhone 5 IIRC. I absolutely loved it.

19 minutes ago, Benkid Nada said:

It apparently got released in November. It's a fantastic dramedy about two transgendered sex workers, that was entirely shot on an iPhone 5 IIRC. I absolutely loved it.

Sound interesting but the "shot entirely on Iphone 5" part bothers me. Does that mean it looks like one of these terrible found footage movies where you get motion sickness because the characters filming everything apparently all suffer from ADHD and can't hold still for more than a couple of seconds?

I'm slightly surprised Mad Max is so high up. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it - but I found it more to be technically well made/realised, but the plot was simply fine. Kind of a 7-7.5/10 type of film.  

1. Carol

2. 45 Years

3. Amy

4. Spotlight

5. Avengers: Age of Ultron

6. Second Mother

7. A War

8. Love & Mercy

9. Steve Jobs

10. Wild Tales

Genuinely thought this was a great year for film. Does Wild Tales hit the criteria to be included btw? 

2 hours ago, Hellraiser said:

Sound interesting but the "shot entirely on Iphone 5" part bothers me. Does that mean it looks like one of these terrible found footage movies where you get motion sickness because the characters filming everything apparently all suffer from ADHD and can't hold still for more than a couple of seconds?

Nope -- they developed their own lenses for it, so it just looks like a slightly less glossy film with some really strong colours. I thought Tangerine did a lot right, but I didn't love it as much as other people, I thought everyone in it took some time to develop into their roles, but I liked what they were going for. 

It's Argentinian, right? Pretty sure it was up for an Oscar last year, so I doubt it. Really good movie, though.

1 hour ago, DFF said:

I'm slightly surprised Mad Max is so high up. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it - but I found it more to be technically well made/realised, but the plot was simply fine. Kind of a 7-7.5/10 type of film.  

I thought the plot was amazing. It is the most insane prison escape movie ever. The Great Escape ain't got nothing on this (this is a lie, it's only like the 3rd best prison escape movie).

1 hour ago, Benkid Nada said:

It's Argentinian, right? Pretty sure it was up for an Oscar last year, so I doubt it. Really good movie, though.

I thought the plot was amazing. It is the most insane prison escape movie ever. The Great Escape ain't got nothing on this (this is a lie, it's only like the 3rd best prison escape movie).

Only confused cos it was up for a BAFTA this year, which totally threw me. 

Yeah, Wild Tales is Argentinean, and was released there in August 2014.

On 3/2/2016 at 18:37, Maxx said:

I thought you hated The Revenant?

I mostly just was really really biased towards Mad Max winning everything on Oscar night :P I do think there's irritating aspects about The Revenant but I also think it doesn't have the huge "yeah, but" criticisms that I had with the rest of my ten.

EDIT: Regarding Anomalisa and Tangerine; the former wasn't showing at a theater I could see it for free at and I had no money in January, and I literally had never heard of the latter until this past weekend.

19 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

EDIT: Regarding Anomalisa and Tangerine; the former wasn't showing at a theater I could see it for free at and I had no money in January, and I literally had never heard of the latter until this past weekend.

So what you're saying is that your list is invalid? :shifty:

1. Mad Max: Fury Road

2. Straight Outta Compton

3. Hateful Eight

4. Ant-Man

5. The Martian

6. Creed

7. Sicario

8. Avengers : Age of Ultron

9. Kingsman: The Secret Service

10. Dope

Edited by syck