January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

stokeriño

57 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Not much he can do to be honest. Russia's new rules on foreign players have fucked Zenit so he had to leave. I find criticising players for taking pay days to be ludicrous. If it were you you would do exactly the same.

I don't think I would, especially if I was being offered ludicrous money in Europe as well. I don't know anyone who does it, especially someone like Pelle, but it's not like the money is bad in Europe. I can only speak for myself, but I'd much rather make less money and be professionally fulfilled - which is nothing to do with football, but the sentiment's the same. 

• Like 2

Witsel himself said back in November that he was gonna join Juve and now he's going to China.  It's purely monetary reasons. He's said so himself the money is too good to turn down. 

I can still criticise his ambition as he moved to Russia in which he will have been paid good money to then go to China in which he'll be paid stupid amounts of money. He could have been playing for the biggest team in Italy and still been paid a good amount of money. It's not like he's in the twilight of his career and he's getting a final big payday either. 

Plus I think the argument of if it was you isn't exactly applicable when I get paid a couple of thousand pounds a year and if I moved jobs I wouldn't end up getting thousands of pounds extra a week.  I'd rather get enjoyment and feel like I'm making a difference than just get paid a bucket load of money. As long as I'm financially comfortable and not struggling to pay the bills and put food on the table, money isn't my main motivation in life.  

What about if you were offered a pay packet that not only made you financially comfortable, but literally your entire family for generations? That's what we're talking about here, the likes of Oscar and Witsel can stay at their clubs and win trophies and play in the Champions League, but that isn't going to give your great-great grand children financial stability. I don't think it's a coincidence that the vast majority of these big transfers are involving players from South America, which isn't exactly known for it's safety, high living standards and economic stability.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Not much he can do to be honest. Russia's new rules on foreign players have fucked Zenit so he had to leave. I find criticising players for taking pay days to be ludicrous. If it were you you would do exactly the same.

I think it's the timing for me. He's only 26/27(?), he's got the option of Juve and there's a World Cup coming up in 18 months. If that were me I'd go to Juve for 2 years, make sure I'm in that Belgium team and playing against quality opposition and then think about the payday. Even 29 is early to be going to such a poor league, he'd still be a superstar there at 32.

I suppose it depends on if the money keeps flowing, if he's on China money til he's 35 he's laughing financially, but if it doesn't go well it's hard to get back to a decent league and rebuild. I always thought Chris Samba went to Russia far too early, and he was woeful on his return to England.

Chelsea have completed a signing!

...For the Ladies team.

Meanwhile we seem only to get linked with players that are off to the African Cup of Nations (Kessie, Ghoulam, etc.) and are therefore all caveated with 'probably wouldn't go through until the summer anyway'. Not especially helpful.

• Admin

RB Leipzig have submitted a £6m offer for the 19-year-old Nottingham Forest midfielder Matty Cash.

The Bundesliga club, who are second to Bayern Munich at the winter break, spent £13m to sign another teenager from Forest, Oliver Burke, in August.

Cash has made 12 appearances for Forest, who gave him his debut in August. His season was interrupted by an injury sustained in September which kept him out for two and a half months.

He joined Forest in 2014 from the FAB Academy, which gives a second chance to players released by professional clubs – in Cash’s case Wycombe Wanderers. Last season he spent time on loan at Dagenham & Redbridge in League Two, also playing 12 games.

"Hey I know it's mid-season and you're in a relegation dogfight, but how would you like to throw away your #1 goal scorer for relative peanuts? We'll even toss in a novelty gold ticket that say 'One-Way Ticket to The Championship' just for lolz."

• Like 4

West Ham are starting their "bid for every striker / defender from other Prem teams and get absolutely fucking nowhere" routine aren't they....is it February yet <_<

Maybe they're getting transfer advice from Paul Merson. Buy Defore for £6m, sell Payet for £30m, buy Martial for £20m and slap in a cheeky £4m for Messi on Jan 31st.

• Like 4

• Admin

Derby County have signed Middlesbrough midfielder Julien De Sart on loan until the end of the season.

Ravel Morrison is training with Wigan as he considers his future, Sky sources understand. The former Manchester United and West Ham midfielder is looking for a new club after failing to make a single appearance for Lazio so far this season. He’s been invited to train with his former coach Warren Joyce – who was in charge of the Manchester United reserves when the player came through.

Arsenal have completed the signing of Cohen Bramall... from Hednesford Town.