January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

stokeriño

26 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

Do players really get testimonials anymore (let alone ones going off to make All The Money in China)? Sometimes there are games which they organise themselves with basically all their old mates (I think Drogba did that?), but that's not really the same as an official testimonial that's recognising their service to the club.

I'm struggling to remember if we've had any at Chelsea since Zola's one.

The testimonial was used to give a player a bit of bonus cash as a send off and since nowadays all the players are loaded, at the top at least, there isn't much of a need. Unless it is a club legend and the money usually goes towards a charity, doesn't it?

6 minutes ago, Adam said:

Tony Hibbert had one at Everton, in which he somehow managed to score for the first and only time ever with a deflected free kick. Insane.

It was against AEK Athens as well, really random.

And Big Dunc got one, admittedly post-retirement. 

We've had one for Gerrard (Team Gerrard vs Team Carragher) and one for Carragher (against Everton) But we haven't really had anyone close to 10 years service other than Lucas who is in his 10th season now and his contact expires end of the season. Hopefully there's a game over the summer as he's been loyal to the club and always put the club first. 

I'm sure Rooney had one this summer. They are always charity games nowadays anyway, that's how I basically view testimonials. Its just a nice day out really, see some ex players turn up like Suarez, Torres and Alonso did for Gerrard's.

I suppose if most people aren't arsed about the player then there isn't really a reason to have one :P

In Liverpool transfer related news we are meant to be finally shifting Ilori to Reading for 3-4mil.  Not really a loss. Hasn't really looked like breaking into the first team and hasn't done much when out on loan. 

18 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

Perhaps West Ham believe the year to be 1997 rather than 2017.

So after reading Lineker's post I sent this to my mate on fb at 4.15

"So a few days after they bid just 6m for Defoe, West Ham have had a 3m bid knocked back from Hull for Snodgrass. Do they think it's 1997 or some shit?"

We think alike!

Ridiculous bids.

• Like 1

Sakho is likely to be off this month. Klopp consigned him to the u23s after he was sent home from the US tour for breaking club rules.

Southampton, Palace, West Brom and Sevilla are being linked with him.

There is a lot to like about Sakho but he's prone to the odd strop and can be very ill disciplined.

43 minutes ago, Hobo said:

Sakho is likely to be off this month. Klopp consigned him to the u23s after he was sent home from the US tour for breaking club rules.

Southampton, Palace, West Brom and Sevilla are being linked with him.

There is a lot to like about Sakho but he's prone to the odd strop and can be very ill disciplined.

Hopefully Gomez doesn't pick up anymore nasty injuries and we can start to develop him. I'd be happy with Matip, Lovren, Klaven and Gomez as our four main centre backs and hopefully keep Lucas till the end of the season just so we have a 5th option. 

Sakho was fantastic at times for us, he can be endearing and seemed to do a lot of work for charity and within the community. However his discipline at times has been shocking. Having a strop and going home when you wasn't picked under Rodgers, the whole issues with getting himself into a position that he originally failed the drug test, the disobeying simple rules whilst on pre-season tour. I'd rather us sell him outright then loan him out...I think the club thinks we could get up to 20mil for him which would be great but personally I can't see that happening. 

Eddie Howe has said on the possibility of Nathan Ake being recalled by Chelsea this month: "It looks like that will be the case, it's not 100% finalised yet."

Since Ake has started playing a lot more for Bournemouth recently, presumably any recall would not be because of dissatisfaction with his loan in order to ship him off elsewhere, so...actually back in the Chelsea squad? As a backup to Alonso maybe? If nothing else, that would indicate that we've got fucking nowhere in our search for other options at LWB. <_<

1 hour ago, stokeriño said:

Eddie Howe has said on the possibility of Nathan Ake being recalled by Chelsea this month: "It looks like that will be the case, it's not 100% finalised yet."

Since Ake has started playing a lot more for Bournemouth recently, presumably any recall would not be because of dissatisfaction with his loan in order to ship him off elsewhere, so...actually back in the Chelsea squad? As a backup to Alonso maybe? If nothing else, that would indicate that we've got fucking nowhere in our search for other options at LWB. <_<

I want Nathan Ake to get done for assaulting an Irish man in Amsterdam in a weed shop for the potential headline:

Ake Wacky Baccie Packie Attacky

Thank you.

• Like 1

• Admin

Brentford have rejected West Ham's second offer, worth £12m, for striker Scott Hogan, Sky sources understand. The Hammers first bid, worth up to £10m, was turned down on Wednesday. Brentford value Hogan, who has 14 Championship goals this season, at £15m.