What are the greatest games of the 21st century?

RPS

Should Assassin's Creed 2 be added to the list?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Should Assassin's Creed 2 be added to the list?

• Yes
    • No
    • Another Assassin's Creed Game should be added
  2. 2. Should the Last of Us be added to the list?

• Yes
    • No
    • Another Naughty Dog game is better
  3. 3. Should Fallout New Vegas be added to the list?

• Yes
    • No
    • Another Fallout Game is better
  4. 4. Should Mass Effect 2 be added to the list?

• Yes
    • No
    • Another Mass Effect game is better
  5. 5. Should Super Smash Bros Melee be added to the list?

• Yes
    • No
    • Another Smash Bros game is better

For me the answer is The Last of Us. It didn't do anything new, but it did everything perfectly for me. Honestly, there's not a thing I have found in the game that bothers me and I have played it semi-regularly since release 3 years ago. Completed it around eight times, played endless multiplayer (which is probably the best multi I have ever played, even a rookie can be decent support), and I am so hyped for LoU2 it's unreal, even if I am sceptical about following up to the perfect story that Ellie and Joel had.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MDK said:

Never played The Last of Us because it isn't out on PC, boo.

How about Red Dead Redemption? I think we all have a collective hardon for that game.

I really, really enjoyed it, then I got on a boat (to Mexico?) and for some reason never played it again. 

Oh whoops, what am I thinking? Super Smash Bros. Melee. The best fighting game ever. I got a ton of enjoyment out of it as a player in high school, and now I get a ton of enjoyment out of it as a spectator, over fifteen years after it came out in 2001. That's some crazy fucking longevity.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Quom said:

I really, really enjoyed it, then I got on a boat (to Mexico?) and for some reason never played it again. 

For a second I thought you meant that you travelled to Mexico but they confiscated the game or something. 

4 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Oh whoops, what am I thinking? Super Smash Bros. Melee. The best fighting game ever. I got a ton of enjoyment out of it as a player in high school, and now I get a ton of enjoyment out of it as a spectator, over fifteen years after it came out in 2001. That's some crazy fucking longevity.

Another one of those games that was perfect for local co-op. Fox and DK are clearly the best players. I pissed off many friends using Fox's shield thing. 

1 hour ago, Benji said:

RDR absolutely. 

Ah yes, that was great indeed. Can't wait for all of us on the PS4 saddle up for that later in the year.

As for the subject matter, will need a real think over it but Last of Us has to go up on there for a start for being a great game with a fantastic storyline.

21 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Injustice?

I've not played a ton (if I'm honest, I played all of about five matches), what I played was okay, but didn't really set my world on fire.

I'm talking truly great, like Tekken 3, Mortal Kombat 3, Street Fighter II, Streets of Rage, Final Fight II, SSBM, Double Dragon, Soul Calibur, even Dead or Alive as ridiculous as it was. Stuff that even now people would remember and love. I could be wrong but I don't feel like Injustice is one of those games for the majority of people.

Final Fantasy Dissidia was probably the last really good "original IP" beat 'em up I played, and that wasn't really an original IP, just new to the genre.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Benji said:

I've not played a ton (if I'm honest, I played all of about five matches), what I played was okay, but didn't really set my world on fire.

I'm talking truly great, like Tekken 3, Mortal Kombat 3, Street Fighter II, Streets of Rage, Final Fight II, SSBM, Double Dragon, Soul Calibur, even Dead or Alive as ridiculous as it was. Stuff that even now people would remember and love. I could be wrong but I don't feel like Injustice is one of those games for the majority of people.

Final Fantasy Dissidia was probably the last really good "original IP" beat 'em up I played, and that wasn't really an original IP, just new to the genre.

Ah, that makes sense. I did think Injustice was a fantastic game, but yeah compared to Tekken 3, Soul Calibur (about the limit of my beat 'em up experiences) it's just not on there level.

I'll second whoever said Rome Total War should get a mention. Out of the entire series it was the most revolutionary and really elevated the series. Med 2 was probably the better game (Empire will always be my favourite because it improved so much from release to final patch) but Rome was the daddy of it all. It's a shame I can't get past the stylistic choices made since Shogun 2 because Total War was always my favourite series.

I'm a massive fan of Tekken from both gameplay and lore perspective, but I swear to God if they have yet another cheap as fuck final boss who you just have to chip away at with low kicks then I'm going to lose my shit. I'm worried they'll never top the Kazuya/Devil Kazuya combo for final bosses.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Benji said:

If you swap that out with MKII, we'd be fine. 

Oh, I hated MK3. I hated the lack of ninja characters (granted, we got that in the updates, but still), I hated the run feature (mainly because the AI abused it like hell, a fight waas just "MWAAAAA" *COMB* "MWAAAAA" *COMBO* FINISH HIM!", and the fatalties themselves were poorly done, graphics wise. Shit like more shin bones flying off then you had, arms magically hanging in midair when you would bisect someone, lame new characters (Glares at Stryker). 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Benji said:

I'm a massive fan of Tekken from both gameplay and lore perspective, but I swear to God if they have yet another cheap as fuck final boss who you just have to chip away at with low kicks then I'm going to lose my shit. I'm worried they'll never top the Kazuya/Devil Kazuya combo for final bosses.

That's how I beat final bosses in every beat em up :shifty: 

But really, Tekken 2 is the one that made me fall in love with the series but 3 was the one which made me obsessed. It was largely the addition of Hwoarang who quickly became my favourite which sealed it for me. Oh and Panda, Panda is awesome. 

I really enjoyed the 2 recent MK games as well as Injustice, but largely for the stories more than anything else. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mick said:

If you swap that out with MKII, we'd be fine. 

Oh, I hated MK3. I hated the lack of ninja characters (granted, we got that in the updates, but still), I hated the run feature (mainly because the AI abused it like hell, a fight waas just "MWAAAAA" *COMB* "MWAAAAA" *COMBO* FINISH HIM!", and the fatalties themselves were poorly done, graphics wise. Shit like more shin bones flying off then you had, arms magically hanging in midair when you would bisect someone, lame new characters (Glares at Stryker). 

I actually meant Ultimate MK3. Forgot they were separate.