What are the greatest games of the 21st century?

RPS

Should Assassin's Creed 2 be added to the list?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Should Assassin's Creed 2 be added to the list?

• Yes
    • No
    • Another Assassin's Creed Game should be added
  2. 2. Should the Last of Us be added to the list?

• Yes
    • No
    • Another Naughty Dog game is better
  3. 3. Should Fallout New Vegas be added to the list?

• Yes
    • No
    • Another Fallout Game is better
  4. 4. Should Mass Effect 2 be added to the list?

• Yes
    • No
    • Another Mass Effect game is better
  5. 5. Should Super Smash Bros Melee be added to the list?

• Yes
    • No
    • Another Smash Bros game is better

2 hours ago, DFF said:

Mass Effect 2

/thread.

But yeah, it's pretty much the pinnacle of the Action RPG genre. The story is engaging, the characters are well written (as well as being balanced in funky ways allowing you to fight through the levels/missions in different ways). It's basically the perfect sci-fi tv series but in game form.

I'm not sure I've ever been quite so emotionally invested in a game as ME2. I wanted the characters to survive the final mission because I cared about them.

ME2 is lush. Jack's one of my favourite characters ever, even if she's a bit of a stereotype. Her turning up again in ME3 was the highlight of the game especially as it had been her I'd romanced (successfully) in 2.

4 minutes ago, Liam said:

Baldur's Gate

II: Shadows of Amn was brilliant. I never finished it because of reasons but I keep meaning to. 

8 minutes ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

Her turning up again in ME3 was the highlight of the game especially as it had been her I'd romanced (successfully) in 2.

You dog.

16 minutes ago, MDK said:

II: Shadows of Amn was brilliant. I never finished it because of reasons but I keep meaning to. 

Yeah, I was going to suggest either 1 or 2. I played more of 1 though.

Edited by Liam

Just now, Liam said:

Yeah, I was going to suggest either 1 or 2. I played more of 1 though.

Never did play 1 but it wouldn't count anyway because it was 90's >_>

I might try playing II again and rename characters with people from EWB.

1 hour ago, Red Devil-Taker316 said:

Super Mario Galaxy 2, Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask and Arkham City

Galaxy 2 set a new standard for 3D platforming, somehow even surpassing Galaxy 1 (which was great as it is). 

Majora's Mask did a lot of things that showed new potential in video games (for example, the game keeping track of many different events whether or not the player was present at the time).

Arkham City was just an incredible game that went into incredible detail.

Was going to mention the Arkham games, good shout.

• Like 1

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Red Dead Redemption yet. My other recommendations would be Metal Gear Solid 3 and Shadow of the Colossus. I understand why someone wouldn't like them, but I think they're both great examples of exciting, thought-provoking narrative, albeit at opposite ends of the spectrum, with SotC's understated quaintness contrasting sharply with Metal Gear's bombastic madness. 

2 hours ago, Cymbols said:

Seconded. 

The Sims is fucking tremendous, and it played a huge part in my life growing up. Along with Harry Potter LEGO, it was one of the few things I'd ever play with my sister.

I was a bit young for The Sims, but we definitely had a couple of the expansion packs, and I remember my sister recreating my family, and then killing me off :lol:

Over the years, we ended up with every expansion for The Sims 2, and probably most of the stuff packs too (I think my parents were willing to buy the expansions because they liked us getting along for once :shifty: ). I has Veronaville and my sister had Pleasantview, and we did our own thing on it. Eventually my old man sold them all at car boot, and a few years ago, I decided the re-purchase all the fundamental expansions...University, Nightlife and Seasons (and Open for Business - but only because I bought a bundle off ebay). Between my A levels and starting Uni, I absolutely binged on this game and it was fucking awesome.

Bought The Sims 3 on release, and it just wasn't good. I think the later expansions improved it somewhat, but it just felt empty, and a chore to play. In theory, the idea of other houses/families progressing in the background is neat, but I'm a total control freak so that wasn't the most fun thing in the world.

Sims 4 is fun, and more like the second instalment than the third. Adding new technology and emotions in is a nice touch, but this time, the world feels too small. It's strange because, I enjoyed playing it, and yet I only played it twice after buying it. I always just gravitate back to Sims 2.

It's just something for everyone though isn't it. Like I know people who play it just to design houses and towns that look aesthetically pleasing. Then there's people who just create loads of families and then don't ever really play them. Then there's weirdos like me who try and advance every family the same amount of days before switching to the next to ensure that everyone is progressing at the same speed.

And now I really want to play it again. Which isn't ideal because my Sims binges are intense, and really counter productive.  

I really loved Sims 2 a lot. It included a lot of goofy, but fun stuff. Alien abductions, the aspiration rewards that could fuck you over, the mini-games, and that was just in the base game. The expansions just built on it (Befriending Bigfoot, making him move in and turning him into Judge Bigfoot), I loved it all. 

The Sims 3 had a very interesting problem with it. I loved the CAS tool. If I wanted a gold toilet, damnit, I could make one. I liked how open the world was, and how the town could somewhat evolve over time. However, the main problem I had was that a lot of the fun stuff from The Sims 2 they took out, and they began splitting up content from expansions, made shit exclusive to store purchases or stuff packs. Finally, the expansions threw in a lot of cheaty shit. The van that refills your motives. The fucking pawn shop where you can make disgusting amounts of cash, either your patience or luck. Maxing out the Science Skill from University Life meant you could clone anything, including Tiberium, giving you an endless cash reserve. 

And Sims 4 removed the CAS tool, reduced the neighborhood size, and screwed with the story's continuity <_<

I'm on the "only San Andreas" boat because I honestly don't think more than one GTA game is needed and while V is great, if I were going to get back to playing one of the two tomorrow it'd be San Andreas, which is kind of remarkable given that V has a decade's worth of improvements in graphics and what the game can do and whatnot.

Absolutely no problems with The Sims, I stopped playing it after like 2003 or so but those two years I spent on it were real, real fun, especially summer of '00. I can still immediately recall one of those muzak themes that'd play when you went to buy stuff.

World of Warcraft was suggested earlier and I find it hard to argue with that, even though it was by no measure my favorite MMO (RIP City of Heroes).

To return on the Sims posts. I freaking love the Sims, but personally can't play them because I'm just a boring freak that lets my Sims max out their skills and become god people with the perfect job. It always ends up being a perfect family with perfect everything who can afford everything because they do everything perfectly.

And they never go outside, because they're too busy running on a treadmill to get to lvl 10 body, and afterwards they're painting till their creativity is lvl 10, until they croak.

I'm too much of a control freak, and lack creativity to create actually interesting narratives to their lives.

45 minutes ago, Jasonmufc said:

To return on the Sims posts. I freaking love the Sims, but personally can't play them because I'm just a boring freak that lets my Sims max out their skills and become god people with the perfect job. It always ends up being a perfect family with perfect everything who can afford everything because they do everything perfectly.

And they never go outside, because they're too busy running on a treadmill to get to lvl 10 body, and afterwards they're painting till their creativity is lvl 10, until they croak.

I'm too much of a control freak, and lack creativity to create actually interesting narratives to their lives.

This is where I stand with The Sims essentially, I also turn off aging because I am scared to lose the progress as well. :shifty:

22 minutes ago, apsham said:

This is where I stand with The Sims essentially, I also turn off aging because I am scared to lose the progress as well. :shifty:

Someone who plays Sims and does not kill them...

I didn't realise you were fictional Apsham. What is that existence like?

• Like 1

That was one major criticism I had. 

One of the coolest challenges out there is the "Legacy Challenge". Basically, the goal is to make it through 10 generations of Sims. You start of dirt ass broke, and go for there. But all you need to do for success is take up any skill that can produce a cash flow, and you've made it, OR join the business career, where all you have to do is kiss people's ass for a promotion. At that point, it becomes trivial. 

Anyway, back to greatest games. You guys praising Goldeneye do realize it came out in the 90s, right? :shifty: 

And while we're at it: Virtual Pro Wrestling 2. Released January 28, 2000! :D 

It was the game WrestleMania 2000 should have been, and that's saying nothing bad about WM2K. It had features that were not present in No Mercy (TBF, I didn't care about the ladder match), and this is coming from a guy that doensn't bother with Puro. Setting up the crazy matches, MMA, I mean...I enjoyed it a lot, and while No Mercy does seem to be the wrestling game standard, it did draw a bit from VPW2, and given the choice (and a translated rom :shifty: ), I'd go with VPW2. 

3 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

I'm on the "only San Andreas" boat because I honestly don't think more than one GTA game is needed and while V is great, if I were going to get back to playing one of the two tomorrow it'd be San Andreas, which is kind of remarkable given that V has a decade's worth of improvements in graphics and what the game can do and whatnot.

I'd agree with this on the GTA front. San Andreas was the best by far I think.

I was going to say the original Metal Gear Solid for sure but it was 98 release so I'd back Snake Eater as the entry for that franchise. My list probably till I remember others

1. TLOU

2. GTA SA

3. MGS3

Too many acronyms :shifty: