Your five favorite bands

RPS

As for the rest of my five, I'll go for The Pixies. Although Surfer Rosa is 90% of what I need from them. Again, if I can get a bit of fermented booze on the island then even better. On the drive home from a gig, whether it's gone well or badly, I love to put this on in the car as loud as I can bear.

I love The Pixies. They're a big influence on the band I'm in (along with Pavement, Sonic Youth etc) and, after a gig, being told "you guys sound like The Pixies" was one of the very best compliments I could have heard (along with another night where someone called us the Kent Sonic Youth which was wonderful).

They're noisy but they're melodic. All their songs sound different but are clearly theirs. You don't get bored after a few songs as they don't all sound the same. Love that.

Screw it, I'm gonna clog up the thread with more videos.

Also, the guitar in this is glorious. Joey Santiago has never been a maestro on the guitar but he knew what he could do and bloody hell he did it well.

As for my other three, probably Blur and Melt Banana. Just gotta think about the fifth.

• Like 1

Johnny Cash, Primus, the Mountain Goats, Ice Cube, and for my fifth I'm not sure. I'm kind of basing this list off what has the most plays in my iTunes library, so Run The Jewels right now.

• Like 1

No particular order

Operation Ivy

Offspring

The Beach Boys

Meat Loaf

Social Distortion

7 hours ago, Social Justice Nerf said:

Weird, I had this exact conversation with my girlfriend last night. It differs all the time, but I came up with:

1. The Lawrence Arms
2. H2O
3. The Bouncing Souls
4. Social Distortion
5. Guns N' Roses

I could've gone with H2O, but then I'd have to have Go! with me. 

In no order:

Lightning Seeds
Offspring
Sublime
Felt
Madness

4 hours ago, Lint said:

I could've gone with H2O, but then I'd have to have Go! with me. 

I aint heard H2O in donkeys, must give them a listen. 

1 hour ago, Social Justice Nerf said:

Worth it for Like A Prayer.

Good point

......ah I'll go Sigur Ros to cover those nights when I'm gazing into the vast expanse of night sky that isn't ruined by light pollution.

So that would be: The Kinks, Pixies, Blur, Melt Banana (or Polysics) and Sigur Ros......Although I'd miss PJ Harvey. Bah.

This is hard, I was originally going to do just pure bands to make it easier but now that I've read that the main post says artists it's hard as hell. I'll go with:

1. Matthew Good / Matthew Good Band
2. Say Anything
3. Jonathan Coulton
4. Barenaked Ladies
5. Watsky

One or two could rotate out at any point I think, but I'm pretty happy with that list in general.

Bowie

Blur

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Gaslight Anthem (screw you all I still like them)

Teenage Fanclub (toyed with a few options here, but if it's a nice sunny island they win)

Edit: Aargh, I really want to take a North East band. I might have to toss a coin and take Field Music or Little Comets instead of Gaslight...

• 3 months later...