Summer Transfer Window 2017

Lineker

12 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

I don't want him. Like, at all. Paying a 120 million minimum plus however ever much a week - 500k probably, at least - for a 32 year old who we'll have to set up the entire team around is just not something that appeals to me in the slightest - Ronaldo or not.

Money is irrelevant when you're the richest club in the world. Age is irrelevant when you're the best player in the world and still better than anyone 10 years younger than you. 32 isn't exactly old, plus he's a physical freak and could still be playing at this level in three years, so I'd rather he spend those years at my club than at potential rivals.

Setting the team up around him might not be a good idea long-term, but in three years time we could still be in the exact same position without him and have zero honours, or we could re-sign Ronaldo and win some trophies, then go back to being shit until the next saviour comes along. He could be good for the team anyway. Rashford and co. would probably gain more from playing with an all-time great and winning things than continuing on the path we're on post-Fergie.

Can't see Morata or anyone else having the kind of impact Ronaldo would. Nor can I see any potential big signing sticking around for more than a few years anyway, and only earning a little bit less than Ronaldo, so if he's available then there is really no better option that I can think of. As long as he bangs in a load of goals, which he will, and we win things, which we've a better chance of doing with him than without him, then it's all good imo.

• Like 1

Surely he'll go to PSG or stay put. Mourinho fell out with him before, you can't build a team around him when you have Pogba and possibly Morata as well, he'd cost an inordinate amount of money. They can't even use De Gea as a makeweight in that because they seem to already be doing that with Morata, it just doesn't really add up.

10 hours ago, Just Relegated said:

Ronaldo "Hi Lads, I want more money because I'm gonna get loads took off me because I'm a tax dodger, blink first and give me a new contract, K?"

Mendes 'Hi Lads. Ronaldo wants more money because my tax evasion scheme has been rumbled, just like my scheme for Falcao was a couple of days ago. K?'

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Adam said:

Bayern are apparently after Walker as well. Pep worked with Alves for years, he knows exactly what he's getting with that signing.

He'll be getting a totally different Dani Alves to the one he managed.

Maybe, but he'll be much more Dani Alves than Kyle Walker will be.

It isn't all about on-pitch ability either. He will know Alves' personality inside out. How he trains, how he influences the dressing room and so on and so forth.

7 minutes ago, Adam said:

Maybe, but he'll be much more Dani Alves than Kyle Walker will be.

It isn't all about on-pitch ability either. He will know Alves' personality inside out. How he trains, how he influences the dressing room and so on and so forth.

Yeah, I suppose that would be a massive consideration given he's been unable to get players to play how he wants.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nerf said:

Yeah, I suppose that would be a massive consideration given he's been unable to get players to play how he wants.

Aye I expect that's why he wants him. No better way to turn his squad into a 'Pep team' than by getting in some cheaper veterans who know his system and style. Walker is going to cost a bomb by the look of things.