EWB-FPL Draft League 17/18

Adam

So long as Jesus plays this week, I'm happy with my strikers (though I'd ideally want a stronger sub). Plus with Palace now having nobody up front my 4 United players should do well and should limit the damage City playing  Chelsea will do to my defence, unless they play out a dull 0-0 and both my defenders get the clean sheet bonus. So watch Palace somehow win 4-0 and both Azpilicueta and Otamendi get sent off for fighting each other:shifty:

Starting XI:

De Gea

Azpilicueta, Mustafi, Otamendi, Monreal

Willian, Sigurdsson, Matic, Mata

Lukaku, Jesus

Subs: Forster, Jese, Nyom, Rodriguez

We have a new outright leader at the top of the table, and it's...me :o

@Adam triumphed over @Moses Julep 45-31 to go two points clear at the top with 5 wins from 7 games. Kane and Coutinho brought up the goods again with double figure hauls, with Harry Maguire earning 6 points for a clean sheet too. Moses' best performer was goalscoring Saints defender Yoshida, with 8, whilst Lloris and Alderweireld earned 6 apiece in the Spurs defence, but that rearguard solidity didn't pay off with victory unfortunately for Coop.

@hugobomb sits 2nd in the table on 13 points after a resounding 61-40 victory against @Baddar, whose Dildao boys are sliding down the standings after another tough loss. The unlikely face of Monreal plundering 15 points contributed to the win, whilst Mata also hit double figures with 10, and five other players earned 5+ points in a very impressive haul. Even unused sub keeper Forster managed 9, demonstrating the strength in depth at present for Huw's Bombers. Rashford's 9 was the best haul for Baddar, followed by Ederson and Stones with 8 each but no one else earned more than 3 points.

@Jimmy and his Spursy lot are up to 3rd in the table after a big win of their own, 69-27 over @Davidmarrio thanks in large part to the form of Spurs' full backs. Davies got 16, the best score of any player this week, whilst Trippier got 14. De Bruyne of Man City earned 11 points and Walker 6 to create a cavernous margin of victory, and this was even with points left on the bench up front, as Defoe and Gray disappointed in attack but Choupo-Moting's 5 points were left out. Sanchez was Dave's best performer with 6, but it was a truly poor week for Kindergarten Klopp as Kolasinac & Hart's 6 points apiece were squandered on the bench, and marquee striker Morata went down injured.

Narrowest win of the week goes to @MadJack, who must thank the fixture gods for his 36-26 win over @Loz, a score only good enough to beat two other players but ultimately enough to pull Hashtag Pogbants back into contention at the foot of the table. The margin of victory was the 10 points earned by Richarlison courtesy of his late equaliser for Watford, whilst other best performers were Man Utd trio Valencia, Jones (both with 6) and Martial (4). Loz rounds off the week of good defences with top scorers Cech and Vertonghen with 6, although sub keeper Schmeichel would have earned 10, and Schindler's good run ended with a zero point score due to that tonking against Spurs for Huddersfield.

The table is as follows:

1. BAINES & NOBLE (Adam) - 15pts (+317)

2. THE BOMBERS (Huw) - 13pts (+328)

3. SPURSY (Jimmy) - 12pts (+332)

4. TOP OF THE KLOPPS (Loz) - 12pts (+304)

5. ATHLETIC DILDAO (Baddar) - 9pts (+335)

6. KINDERGARTEN KLOPP (David) - 9pts (+291)

7. COOP FLEW THE COOP (Moses) - 7pts (+227)

8. #POGBANTS (Sam) - 6pts (+233)

So, clear at the top for the first time but with a big early top of the table clash next week. Gameweek #8 sees me up against Huw's Bombers, knowing that a win will extend my lead at the top to at least 3 points. Jimmy looks to get further into the mix against Moses, who needs wins to get near the top half. Meanwhile, despite the highest cumulative points score, Baddar is down into the botom half and 6 points adrift of first place but has a chance to overhaul Aguero-less Loz for 4th when they meet, and we round off next week's fixtures with a bottom half clash between sliding Dave, who may be without Morata, and Sam who will be hoping to add to only his 2nd win of the season last week and try to move off the foot of the standings.

I think I'm going to struggle big time without Aguero. 

I've got a couple of waivers waiting...

Doucouré and Fellaini for my shit Southampton pair of Davis and Tadic hopefully. 

Blind is getting no play time either, so I'm potentially going to get Ward in from Burnley. I hope that can keep me in the running for a bit while he's out of action. 

• Like 1

Harry Maguire edges it for me by a nose! Last weekend's results are detailed below, but just a reminder that the deadline for team selection this week is looming large due to the Friday night fixture between Brighton & West Ham.

Yes, I've opened up a three point gap in the standings at the top of the table after the slimmest of victories over @hugobomb, 41-40 this past week. That margin was sealed by Harry Maguire's 2-point haul on Monday night against West Brom, but the main contributors were Raheem Sterling, who plundered another 15 points for the team, and Wilf Zaha, who bagged 7 on his return from injury against Chelsea, although he was originally left on the bench by me. Thankfully Aaron Ramsey missed Arsenal's defeat to Watford meaning a swap was enacted. Every other player earned 2 points except for Phil Coutinho, who got a vital 3 points. Huw drops to 4th after that bitter loss, but would have won if he had selected Sigurdsson (2-points) instead of Azpilicueta, who cost the team big with a -1 haul due to his own goal. Gabriel Jesus bagged 13 points, whilst Fernandinho was subbed in for Mata, much like I benefited from Zaha, earning 7 points having scored a screamer. GK De Gea also earned 9 points but a sparse outing for the majority of the team meant a narrow defeat.

Unbelievably, we had a second match decided by a solitary point this week and it has seen @Jimmy rise to 2nd in the table, winning 48-47 against @Moses Julep. No less than three automatic subs saved Jimmy's blushes as well, with back-up keeper Fabianski earning 6 points, whilst Spursy's Spurs representatives came up trumps with Eriksen bagging 11 and Trippier 8. De Bruyne was the side's top scorer with 11 points, marking a solid week for the squad. Wayne Rooney's late penalty against Brighton made him Moses' top scorer with 9, whilst Toby Alderweireld earned 7 points and a trio of players managed 6, including auto sub Naughton. There was nothing to be done about the result though in the end as three outfield subs were all made automatically, meaning there wasn't a single point left on the bench so Moses can at least be glad he didn't miss out due to team selection.

The biggest blow-out of the week goes to @Loz as he moved into 3rd spot in the table, smashing the desperately out-of-form @Baddar 49-14. That result means there is now also a four point gap between the top half sides and the bottom half, but more on that later. Loz had the week's highest scoring team thanks in no small part to the potent strike force of Tammy Abraham and Ayoze Perez, earning 13 and 8 points respectively. The feat is all the more impressive when you consider only 10 players even played, the injured Aguero unable to be replaced by an auto sub, whilst defender Schindler failed to earn a point for himself despite fielding the full 90 minutes for Huddersfield in their defeat at the hands of Abraham's Swansea. 8 points from Mahrez and 7 from David Silva added to the beating on Baddar, who registered by far the worst overall score of anyone in 8 Gameweeks this season. Mkhitaryan top scored with a measly 3 points, with everyone else earning either 2 or 1 points, and with three players missing injured it meant only 10 players could be fielded for his side too.

Another tight result at the bottom saw @MadJack get himself off the foot of the standings with a 43-40 win against @Davidmarrio. That marks a highest weekly score of the season so far for Sam's team, spear-headed by lone striker Chris Wood on 7-points (although Everton's DCL was left on the bench despite earning 5) points himself), whilst a good spread of points around the team contributed to the win. Man Utd defensive duo Phil Jones (7pts) and Antonio Valencia (6pts), plus Bernardo Silva from across the City also on 6, and Richarlison bagging 5-points for his great dive against Arsenal made the difference. David's team also had a good spread of points, with Leroy Sane hitting 10 points (I count that SEVEN Man City players I've mentioned for being among their team's best scorers this week, unreal) to win MOTM honours, and Nathan Redmond earning 6-points along with Liverpool duo Joel Matip and Simon Mignolet.

1. BAINES & Noble (Adam) - 18pts (+358)

2. SPURSY (Jimmy) - 15pts (+380)

3. TOP OF THE KLOPPS (Loz) - 15pts (+353)

4. THE BOMBERS (Huw) - 13pts (+368)

5. ATHLETIC DILDAO (Baddar) - 9pts (+349)

6. KINDERGARTEN KLOPP (David) - 9pts (+331)

7. #POGBANTS (Sam) - 9pts (+276)

8. COOP FLEW THE COOP (Moses) - 7pts (+274)

So yes, three points clear at the top now, with Jimmy & Loz in hot pursuit and, whilst Hugo has slid to 4th, he has a gap behind him to the Dildao boys in 5th. Two points separate the entire bottom half, so there is plenty to play for at this early stage of the season - we're not even a quarter of the way through yet! I take on MadJack starting tonight, fresh off him moving off the foot of the table, Loz faces David, Baddar is up against Jimmy and Huw faces off with Moses, meaning that the top half sides all face bottom half teams. If by some unlikely happening the top 4 sides all win, then the gap will increase between the top and bottom halves to a sizeable 7 points which after only nine matches I'd find quite surprising.