Any unpopular opinions on certain games?

fredmion

Yep, 97 was amazing. The fact that you could score goals in the indoor by standing on the centre circle and massively overpowering your shot so that it hit the back wall 30 foot above the goal to bounce back into your own net made it for me. That and the fact injured players did a comedy chicken run which meant you'd always leave them on for a laugh. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There was FIFA 98: Road To The World Cup and World Cup 98.

Fifa 98 was just FIFA and you could do world cup qualifiers. I think.

I had the US version, it had a guy I'd never heard of on it!

5 minutes ago, MadJack said:

I think with FIFA when it 'peaked' related to the game that you probably played or enjoyed most as a kid.

Definitely, but that's why 97 is the best and I won't hear otherwise :shifty: They really should bring back the indoor games tho, it was something a bit different and fun.

• Like 1

You'd press R2 or L2 can't fully remember and you'd get options to pass to based on a face button (generally square, triangle, circle) and maybe one other, and you could make them move similar to when you choose to take control of receivers on set pieces in modern games.

Was fun if you just wanted to play direct and stuff - and Andy Gray drawing on the screen showing how the goal was scored was always nice.

12 hours ago, SheiLDa the She-Wolf said:

I got the orange box deal from steam years ago, before I knew what the games were.  Portal was amazing, obviously, and then I started playing Half Life 2.  I was sooooo into it for about fifteen minutes while I wandered around the dystopian city.  Then someone gave me a gun and it became a shooter and I hated it so much.

Did you stick around? Half Life 2 does really interesting things where it is a "shooter", but deviates from that formula several times in interesting ways. 

13 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I played the first three Resident Evil games back in the day and thought they were pulsating thrillers. I remember dreaming about the nightmarish crawls through the dark corridors filled with terrors, thinking to myself that this was the point at which games were really breaking out into something new and spectacular.

But that's not my unpopular opinion. My unpopular opinion is that, having re-played them all three or four years ago, I've come to the conclusion that they're actually tedious, poorly designed slogs. Most of the puzzles rely on long treks from one end of the map to another to pick up crap in what only seems to be an effort by the developers to pad things out, because it sure as bloody heck isn't any fun to amble back and forth for most of the games' play times. I'm also not of the view that the tank controls really do add to the sense of dread, given that you're still stuck with them through said scavenger hunts.

Then you've got the ink ribbons, which limit the number of saves you're allowed. Again, this is widely praised for ramping up the tension, but it doesn't work for me when the penalty for death is to have to rack your brains to work out how much of the mind-numbing puzzle you finished before your last save. When tedium is the punishment for failure, I don't think that's good design.

Of course, games age, and some age worse than others, but the graphics and sound aren't things I have problems with. I'm a fan of the pre-rendered backgrounds and enjoy the silly dialogue. "It's a weapon, and it's especially useful against living things" is one of my favourite quotes from a game, and I think we all know and love the Jill Sandwich stuff. The gameplay, though? It's really looking rough now.

There are no other games I've flip-flopped this hard on ever. I can still happily play almost any old game I used to enjoy, so this one is a real anomaly.

I think the first three Resi games haven't aged well, it's not that they were bad, but gaming has just moved way past where they were.

I tried replaying MGS1 the other day and it felt the same. I loved it at the time, but my God does it feel awful to play now.

1 hour ago, Colly said:

97 had Ginola so therefore is obviously the best one. Wasn't 98 weird, in that they released a Road to World Cup, and a World Cup version? I don't think there was a FIFA 98 as such was there? 

It was Ginola! My nostalgia memory just remembered the Newcastle kit on the cover and assumed it was Shearer. 97 it is.

49 minutes ago, Benji said:

I think the first three Resi games haven't aged well, it's not that they were bad, but gaming has just moved way past where they were.

I tried replaying MGS1 the other day and it felt the same. I loved it at the time, but my God does it feel awful to play now.

That's interesting because I replay Metal Gear Solid every couple of years and still enjoy it. It's probably because I know it so well and like the familiarity. I can see why someone would find it rough to play nowadays.

19 minutes ago, SheiLDa the She-Wolf said:

Nah, I was completely put off when I realized I was playing a shooter.

Half Life 2 is the most non-shooter shooter game. The first real open world level is way more like a Resident Evil game. They have lots of twists and turns that deviate from the run and gun ideas. 

Rocket League was ruined by the MLG crowd.

NHL Hitz 20-02 is one of the greatest multiplayer games ever made.

Kingdom Hearts is pretty freaking daft...and not in a good way.

Super Mario RPG is Square-Enix's best game.

Pretty much every popular Let's Play channel has become rich people griping about their rich lives.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, thatshortguy said:

Kingdom Hearts is pretty freaking daft...and not in a good way.

Kingdom Hearts is a series I really want to like, but I just can't. I've never got beyond a certain part of the first game because the gameplay frustrates me too much. The combat is boring to me, with the awkward camera angles making things harder than they ought to be, and don't get me started on the platforming sections. Putting those in a game that has such terribly imprecise jumping controls is a recipe for controller-snapping frustration.

33 minutes ago, thatshortguy said:

Rocket League was ruined by the MLG crowd.

So much this. I don't mind the whole competitive side to the game, I actually prefer it but once every thought they could be the "Next World Champs" everyone's attitudes went to shit.
It's at the point where I miss playing at Silver. No one gave a shit in silver. Gold people thought they were better than you and Platinum is full of people that will flip out at you for being blown up up instead of crossing the ball. Haven't progressed further than Plat but I can't imagine it being any better.
Side note: This is all on Standard/Solo Threes.