Disney buys Fox entertainment assets.

Skummy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42353545

Good news for fans of industry-dominating monopolies!

This means Disney now owns the 20th Century Fox film studio, and Fox's 39% stake in Sky TV.

The positives are Rupert Murdoch owning less assets - though the fact that this won't affect his stranglehold on news media renders that a fairly hollow "victory" - and, to nerds, the prospect of Marvel characters to whom Fox owned the rights potentially being able to show up in Marvel film properties, depending on the legal status of those properties.

The negatives are that we're reverting back to an even more monolithic studio system than that which ran Hollywood in the early 20th Century, with only a select few companies holding any power whatsoever, rendering it even harder for small films to get made, or for anyone to take any creative risks.

Disney makes cookie cutter comic films I liked the gritty R rated films and those still can happen under the Fox umbrella but this means that Disney can incorporate them however they want into future films though but maybe these X-Men are apart of their multiverse and they won't be shocked by it. Considering Fox has an alive Quicksilver etc. 

I know I’ve been speculating on Marvel opportunities, but genuinely this is very bad news, assuming the government approves. Given the current political powers, I imagine it will. This means people of all description in the entertainment industry have far fewer options and the power is squarely in the hands of top executives. Prepare for a lot of smaller creators getting pushed out and the remaining ones struggling even more to make a living.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jack_Clark said:

Disney makes cookie cutter comic films I liked the gritty R rated films and those still can happen under the Fox umbrella but this means that Disney can incorporate them however they want into future films though but maybe these X-Men are apart of their multiverse and they won't be shocked by it. Considering Fox has an alive Quicksilver etc. 

Why are all your posts in tiny font size?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The X-Men films, by and large have been complete trash compared to the MCU films.  The main creative force behind those shitty films is a guy who is facing a bunch of allegations about sexual abuse regarding young boys.  Good riddance to the Fox X-Men universe's main films, and good riddance to Bryan Singer having any sort of influence over the property.  

Deadpool is profitable, they'll keep it going because Disney didn't just spend $56 billion to not make money.  How good Logan was is irrelevant, it was meant to be the end of Jackman's time with the character so Wolverine is due for a re-imagining anyways.  X-Men Apocalypse was trash, there's nothing promising about the series going forward.  It would be great to retain Fassbender and McAvoy as Magneto and Professor X, but oh well, they've had their runs.  The Phoenix Saga is incredibly convoluted, they fucked up once already, and I'm positive they'll fuck it up again in their final lame ass attempt at an X-Men movie.

The Fantastic Four, and all the great stuff that goes along with it was never properly utilized at Fox, and that's putting it nicely.  I'll take a cookie cutter Fantastic Four MCU film over anything Fox did with the franchise every time.

• Like 2

I do agree that if they just firebombed all existing elements of the X Men franchise except for McAvoy and Fassbender and started again, I'd be all for it. Apocalypse was a big let down compared to where that trilogy started out, and those two are the driving forces of the series both character-wise and in an acting sense.

6 hours ago, Jack_Clark said:

Bob Iger stated today that they're looking into which characters they can use and how to make R rated MCU movies. Deadpool is a part of that, it's not changing.

Going purely off the old "Empire of Dreams" Star Wars documentary I re-watched the other night, that makes sense because after the success of the original film, Lucas broke away from 20th Century Fox to form Lucasfilm and self-finance the rest of the trilogy. So it stands to reason that Fox owned Star Wars (Episode IV/A New Hope) even with the rest of the franchise totally under Lucasfilm's control, therefore Disney's deal for Lucasfilm didn't include it.

7 minutes ago, Little Skummer Boy said:

Still, the next Kingdom Hearts could be mental.

Like Square Enix really needed another reason to make us keep waiting for Kingdom Hearts 3... now they can point to this acquisition and the inclusion of new properties and delay release until 2020. This game is never coming out :(