United Football League

Lineker

• 1 month later...

Stamford, Conn., October 7, 2019 – The XFL player draft will take place Tuesday, October 15 and Wednesday, October 16. Player selections will be announced on XFL.com, @xfl2020 on Twitter, @xfl on Instagram, and through the social media channels of the eight XFL teams.

Over the two-day draft, each XFL team will populate a 71-man roster by selecting players from a set of positional groupings. One quarterback will be assigned to each team prior to a five-phased draft, phased as follows: 

1. Skill Players (QB, RB, WR, TE)

2. Offensive Line (OT, OG, OC)

3. Defensive Front Seven (DL, LB)

4. Defensive Backfield (CB, NB, SS, FS)

5. Open Draft (all remaining players after positional drafts, in addition to P/K/LS)

The draft pool will include approximately 1,000 professional football players, all of whom accepted a Commissioner’s Invitation and passed a standard background check. In Phases 1-4, each team will choose ten players for a total of 40 players. In Phase 5, each team will choose from the pool of remaining players to complete its initial roster. 

Using a “snake” format, the selection order within each phase reverses after every round: the team selecting first in the first round will pick eighth in the second round, first in the third round, eighth in the fourth round and so on. The order of selection was determined by lottery under the supervision of Commissioner Oliver Luck.

8 minutes ago, Trent Buschetta said:

Wait...so the league is assigning everyone’s starting quarterback? :lol:

The league owns all the teams, so it can do that.  With this talent pool it’s extremely important to make sure every team has what passes for a decent QB.  

4 minutes ago, Maxx said:

The league owns all the teams, so it can do that.  With this talent pool it’s extremely important to make sure every team has what passes for a decent QB.  

Is there a list of who is available? I imagine it's gotta be close to the 'talent' that the AAF or whatever the shit they were called had. 

Partial list.  Landry Jones obviously, Connor Cook was on there, as was Joe Callahan.

So slightly better than the AAFL in the sense that they haven’t washed out entirely yet

24 minutes ago, Maxx said:

I mean I just figured every team was gonna draft a QB first anyway so may as well let them pick their own.

Then again maybe the teams all ranked their top 8 QBs or whatever and the league will find a way to divvy it up.

1 hour ago, Trent Buschetta said:

I mean I just figured every team was gonna draft a QB first anyway so may as well let them pick their own.

Then again maybe the teams all ranked their top 8 QBs or whatever and the league will find a way to divvy it up.

Each coach has a list of 10 QBs they want. League is negotiating contracts with them. I was under the impression Landry Jones was one of the tier1 QBs

Just now, iDOL said:

He ain't playing for XFL money :lol:

That's on him but if he wants to show the NFL he has the chops to play, workout videos are nice but lighting up a scoreboard is a lot nicer.

As much as I wanted Kaep back in the NFL three years ago...that was three years ago. There's plenty of other talented quarterbacks out there that haven't sat out of the league for multiple years. Even if he lit up the scoreboard in the XFL, which I don't think he'd ever participate in, wouldn't be enough for an NFL owner to take a chance on him. 

14 minutes ago, Meacon said:

As much as I wanted Kaep back in the NFL three years ago...that was three years ago. There's plenty of other talented quarterbacks out there that haven't sat out of the league for multiple years. Even if he lit up the scoreboard in the XFL, which I don't think he'd ever participate in, wouldn't be enough for an NFL owner to take a chance on him. 

No maybe not but twitter videos throwing against no defense will do/is doing even less