Teams/players you like, though you don't support

Liam

They were having this conversation on the sports talk radio station I listen to just the other day.

My favorite baseball player that I've seen in my lifetime was Ken Griffey Jr. Played in Seattle and Cincy with a brief stay in Chicago. I'm a Yankee supporter along with GhostMachine.

For NFL, I like pretty much any player that went to Notre Dame, regardless of where they end up professionally.

For hockey, I always like Steve Yzerman even though I hated the Red Wings.

For basketball, I like James Harden even though I've always despised the Rockets ever since they beat my Knicks in the Finals back in the early 90's. 

Son Heung-min. Great player, no doubt, but he always looks so happy and I like that.

Sampdoria as well, but mostly because of Giuseppe Signori. The first player I remember to not take a run up for a penalty.

Brazil National Team. They play football like they fuck; with passion and skill that is so natural and is wonderful to watch.

USA National Team. Ever since USA '94 I've had a soft spot for the Septics. God loves a trier. Plus that '94 kit is a work of art.

8 minutes ago, MDK said:

Son Heung-min. Great player, no doubt, but he always looks so happy and I like that.

He is an excellent example of a modern one for me. Somewhat unsung in terms of the bigger names that get talked about, but he is really good and just really seems to enjoy playing.

Jari Litmanen is one for me. Technically, I guess Ajax was my 'Dutch team', but he was a player I always really enjoyed watching no matter where he went.

Edited by Liam

I third the Son Heung-Min. I think he's a brilliant player and seems to be a model professional. Makes me sad that he has to play alongside a dirtbag like Dele Alli.

I also enjoy watching Fulham. Probably mainly because one of my best friends is a fan so I'm always aware of what's going on, and they're also a club that play decent football so are always worth a watch.

7 minutes ago, Liam said:

He is an excellent example of a modern one for me. Somewhat unsung in terms of the bigger names that get talked about, but he is really good and just really seems to enjoy playing.

Exactly. Same with Ronaldinho. Just love seeing a player playing and enjoying it like when we were kids down the park. 

Oh, my dad follows the weekly fortunes of Motherwell and Brechin in Scotland and I've picked that up too, I don't even know the reason. Always preferred Barca to any other Spanish teams too because my aunt brought back a Rivaldo shirt from a holiday to Spain she went on when I was a kid. That was the first football shirt I ever owned!

Willian. Just think he's a fantastic player and I admire his attitude of not complaining that he doesn't always start and will work for the team. 

I really rate Son as a footballer. He's gotten some more plaudits this season  but he never got as much focus as Eriksen, Alli or Kane. Great dribbler, good finisher, skilful. 

In terms of teams, Inverness and Newcastle I check on because of my uncle and my Grandad. Ajax and Valencia I like from having managed them in FM when i was younger and when i visited the Ajax museum I found their history fascinating. 

Sticking to current players only....

NFL: Gronk, Antonio Brown, Eric Berry and Alvin Kamara (the latter two being former Vols). Pulling for either the Lions or Vikings to finally win a Super Bowl one of these days.

MLB: Ignore Meacon. FUCK THE YANKEES! And I may be changing my avatar to a Red Sox logo once the season starts. I'm also a Reds and Cubs fan, but I have a soft spot for the Dodgers because that's my parents' favorite team. (And I was a big Tommy Lasorda fan back when he was their manager.) 

NBA: I'm a Lakers fan, but I don't really follow the sport enough to care about players on other teams any more. I keep up with NBA news more than I watch games.

College Football: My 3 favorite college teams are the Tennessee Volunteers, and whoever is playing against Alabama and Notre Dame.

Don't watch Hockey or Soccer at all.

I have a real life soft spot for Newport County and Queens Park thanks to my days in the Lower League Manager section of the SI forums. 

I even had the Newport County researcher comment on my Newport County game thread, delighted that someone was making good use of the data he'd compiled. 

Definitely not a Chicago Bulls fan but I have so much respect for Michael Jordan as a player and for Space Jam.

Now I want to go watch Space Jam.

Edited by Noah
  • Like 1

Any Canadian. It's an obligation that as a Canadian, I have to like any athlete from my country. This does not apply to hockey.

I love watching Mike Trout and Clayton Kershaw.

Actually, while I'm definitely a Blue Jays fan, I could see myself sort of dropping any allegiance. I just like watching good baseball and could happily watch any team. I watched a spring training game today between Houston and the Mets just cause.

• Like 1

I’m pretty strictly a Detroit sports fan. Actually, yeah not even pretty strictly. Flat out I only like Detroit teams. 

But I loved Ricky Henderson when he was around. I had about 30 of his baseball cards and thought he was the best. I always hoped the Tigers could get a cameo out of him when he was toward the end of his career. Never did happen. 

I liked Charles Woodson, the Michigan connection certainly helped. Even as a Packer I respected his game and I’m glad he got a Super Bowl ring. 

I was a huge Patrick Ewing fan as a kid for...no reason. I just was? He seemed like a nice guy so I became a fan. 

Currently? Eh not really sure. Probably nobody. Actually, I liked Richard Sherman for awhile but then I got sick of Seattle. Actually, I guess I still like him, the Crabtree rant was funny. Maybe the Lions will sign him.

Glad to see the love for Son in here, taken Mrs Lanky to Wembley twice this season and all the qualities mentioned here have made him instantly her favourite player, the interview with him in tears on social media this morning has upset her more than a sports person ever could I think.

I like watching anyone who has that sort of ethic, works their arse off, has a lot of skill and seems to enjoy playing every week. It sort of goes with the teams I like to watch, so while I don't really have a soft spot for either side I quite enjoy watching Man City or Liverpool at the moment. Liverpool get the bonus points for their defense being potentially shaky meaning that the chance of West Brom causing a potential upset adds a little more excitement, not that it happens too often but there's usually entertainment to be had this season.

F.C Union Berlin after I discovered an article about their fans a few years ago (I think in the Guardian's football section) about how they helped rebuild a stand; they donated blood and then donated the small fee you get in Germany for doing that to the club when they fell on hard times (or possibly to help fund the stand rebuilding, I can't remember exactly now); and how they meet at Christmas and sing carols for 90 minutes. Certainly an example of the fan base attracting me to a team.

I sort of still like Swansea: I admired how when they came into the Premier League they kept their principles and tried to carry on "playing football" using some previously unsung players (like Dyer and Routledge) and for a while they seemed really progessive and forward thinking with their choice of managers and long-term planing. Obviously those last two factors no longer apply, so my 'soft-spot' for them is hardening >_>

For the NFL, the Titans; mainly because my American friend is a massive Titans fan and she's one of these people whose passion for something is infectious. Also Delanie Walker was epic for me two fantasy seasons in a row so I completely love the man. Finally while they're not exclusive to me in termsof having some younger players whom I like, I do like Mariota and Henry also.