Taskmaster

K

Genuinely don't think I will ever get bored of this show, they keep finding a way to get awesome combinations of comedians that make it must watch. My mum is 70 and she's in hysterics every episode, the hotel was one of the GOAT tasks and we're well over 100+ episodes into things. 

• Like 1

Super interesting interview if folks are interested. They chat about finding the right tone for Alex and Greg, how they feel about tasks "failing" and a bunch more sort of "behind the scenes" thought processes on the show. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's not the most exciting line up, I've heard of three of them for definite and I feel like I should know who Nick Mohammed is based on his credits. It certainly doesn't have the excitement that Julian Clary and Sue Perkins brought before S16 started.

Steve Pemberton should be good and seems to be fan of the show, I know Sophie Willan but not enough about her off-screen personality to know what she'll be like. My main issue is I find John Robins to be insufferable, so if he succeeds it won't be much fun, but there is the chance that his arrogance and know-it-all-ism will lead to some humiliation too.

I've not heard of Joanne McNally so I will reserve judgement on her. It's also quite strange how there's no "young" comedians, Sophie is the youngest at 36 and every time I've seen her she comes across as being older than her years.

There's also no more deserving winner of a CoC than Dara, who I would almost certainly put forward as being the best Taskmaster contestant ever. Although it would have been interesting to see how Mae would have done against him...

Nick Pemberton could be superb, and Nick Mohammed promises to be absolutely deranged - if you've seen him at all, it's likely to be as his alter-ego "Mr. Swallow", who is fantastic. I don't really know any of the others well enough, but I trust Taskmaster on this stuff - I didn't know Mike Wozniak at all before he was on the show, and he's one of my favourite comedians now. 

As far as personal unknowns go, I had no idea who Sam Campbell was before S16 and now he's responsible for some of the funniest TM quotes I've ever heard and I've actively sought out his live performances as a result.

And yes, Nick Mohammed does seem to be doing some kind of character based on the official S17 portraits:

Nick Mohammed on X: "Some of you may know this already (can't think why 🙃)  LET BATTLE COMMENCE! #Taskmaster https://t.co/wTGsCQRGv4" / X

(The pedant in me is wondering why Steve and Sophie aren't in alphabetical order).

• Like 1

I don't mind John Robbins. Surprised it took him this long to get on really, he's besties with Horne.

I agree he's pretty smug and annoying, but I'm hoping it's the kind where he does badly and has to eat it a little.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, K said:

When I saw this earlier I thought "oh, hopefully this isn't just them noticing how popular panel show compilations are on youtube so now they've made their own." And yeah, that seems to be what this show is lol. It's basically a clip show, the first episode themed around times contestants didn't read the task properly.

Not for me, but I get why they made it.

• 4 weeks later...

I am super intrigued by how Nick Mohammed's character work is going to go over. I can't imagine Taskmaster (and Alex & Greg) were good with it without it being heavily thought through and being worth the risk but I've already seen some comments that it feels off-putting. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

I am super intrigued by how Nick Mohammed's character work is going to go over. I can't imagine Taskmaster (and Alex & Greg) were good with it without it being heavily thought through and being worth the risk but I've already seen some comments that it feels off-putting. 

Is he playing a character? Or is he just wearing a silly costume? Because his interview didn't seem in-character at all, it's not like he was doing the Mr. Swallow voice.

I really wish I could've gone to the series premiere event going on in NYC, but it sold out in minutes. :(

8 minutes ago, LittleDaniel said:

Is he playing a character? Or is he just wearing a silly costume? Because his interview didn't seem in-character at all, it's not like he was doing the Mr. Swallow voice.

I really wish I could've gone to the series premiere event going on in NYC, but it sold out in minutes. :(

Funny, I posted that just before I watched his interview and yeah, it didn't seem like he was doing Mr. Swallow. It's likely that it's just a costume.