The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

Has anyone picked up any of the rebooted DC comics and enjoyed them? More specifically, the Green Lantern or Green Arrow comics?

I just picked up all the issues of The Green Lantern, with the exception of the fourth one. I'd recommend it, I have only read the first three since I want to read them in order and the story so far is one of my favorites I've read of the new 52.

I also picked up 4 and 6 of Swamp Thing, so I was able to catch up on that and my god! If you have ever read the Alan Moore Swamp Thing, which is one of my favorite string of comics this is almost as good. Definitely worth checking out, can't recommend it enough.

Has anyone picked up any of the rebooted DC comics and enjoyed them? More specifically, the Green Lantern or Green Arrow comics?

I just picked up all the issues of The Green Lantern, with the exception of the fourth one. I'd recommend it, I have only read the first three since I want to read them in order and the story so far is one of my favorites I've read of the new 52.

I also picked up 4 and 6 of Swamp Thing, so I was able to catch up on that and my god! If you have ever read the Alan Moore Swamp Thing, which is one of my favorite string of comics this is almost as good. Definitely worth checking out, can't recommend it enough.

I was never too big on Swamp Thing, so I did not pick it up. Same thing with Animal Man, though I have heard great things. I did pick up some more Green Lantern because I enjoyed it and I am hoping #2 and on from Batman shows up as my comic book shop.

I also picked up Justice League International, so I think those are the three books I am sticking with right now.

They changed it up big time. Swap Thing now is part of the DC Universe (issue #1 has superman for example). And Animal Man is now don by the guy who gave us "Sweet Tooth" so well worth checking out aswell. There is a reason these two series get mentioned very often when talking about the new 52.

I picked up the first issue of Swamp Thing to check it out, the owner of the store told me he highly recommended it also. I basically am reading Green Lantern, Batman, Justice League International and kind of Punisher (just waiting for the books with multiple issues). I am enjoying all of them so far.

Edited by Trench

I didn't read the book personally but from what I've read online Green Arrow is one of the worst of the 52. I guess they changed writers already too.

I also read Saga and must reccomend it. Great Sci fi/Fantasy story brewing there and you know the writer is quality. Plus "You can't have comics without Staples!" :P

I second this. I grabbed it on a whim as it's a first issue and seems like a cool idea and LOVED IT. Can't wait to see more. On another note, I'm trying to get back into comics (specifically Marvel) after going on an extended break around Civil War and have no idea where a good/easy drop in point is. Too many events are occurring, I have no idea what is important to know and what I can disregard.

Can anybody recommend me some independent comics? There's so much indy comics at my store that I don't know where to start. pinch.gif

Well, if you want random, go with BOOM! titles. They're well written, tend to be limited serial runs (think Kick-Ass as far as how long each title lasts), and the art ain't half-bad. If you want titles that have a bit more continuity, IDW tends to have familiar characters and longer-lasting plots, although the quality of art varies a little more. If you're looking for titles, I really couldn't tell you, as I stopped reading anything except for my chosen DC and Marvel titles (and the occasional Star Trek issue) after I lost my job, so I don't know a good jumping on point.

I hear that "Angel & Faith" is a good Dark Horse comic, if you're in to the Buffy-verse.

So, I just started reading The Walking Dead volumes Wednesday. Picked up volume one, read through it...now I'm at volume 4, a little buyers remorse, but for the right reasons. I know I'm going to be blowing $30-40 a week on this to continue reading. Too bad the compendium1 isn't out yet around here, it seems to be quite a bit cheaper than the individual volumes.

For those whose been reading the new 52, what do you guys think about the following? Those are the ones I had recommended to me, are they any good? And is there anything else from the new 52 that's worth a look?

- Green Lantern

- Batman

- Batwoman

- Batman: Detective Comics

- Batman & Robin

- Aquaman

- The Flash

- Superman: Action Comics

- Justice League

- All Star Western

- Swamp Thing

- Animal Man

Green Lantern I am REALLY enjoying. It's definitely got one of the better stories of the new 52. Detective Comics, I really lost interest in. I mean the first four issues are pretty good, but after that it goes down hill. Justice League is pretty cool, the art more than makes up for the somewhat medicore story, you could definitely do worse.

Swamp Thing, my god I cannot recommend enough! Beautifully illustrated and my favorite story out of the new 52 I've read so far. I honestly can't stop reading them. Definitely pick up Swamp Thing you will not be disappointed. Unfortunately, that's all I've read that you've listed sorry. Not listed I'd check out Batman by Scott Snyder, definitely the best Batman series out of the new 52. Nothing else really comes close, though I've yet to read the Batman and Robin series.

Edited by hot rod

As someone who doesn't read comic books, and wants to get into them.......how do you even get started?

I know more Marvel characters, if that helps.....but yeah, backstories, alternate timelines, yadda yadda yadda.....kinda blowing my mind a little at the moment.

I'm not really into Marvel too much outside of a couple X Men series and the new Avengers vs. X Men that started last week. But if you're looking into getting into some DC, they just recently rebooted all of their comics, with the New 52. I'd say that's the best bet to start with at the moment. Batman, Green Lantern, and Swamp Thing are all very easy follow even if you haven't read any other comic previously of theirs.

For those whose been reading the new 52, what do you guys think about the following? Those are the ones I had recommended to me, are they any good? And is there anything else from the new 52 that's worth a look?

- Green Lantern

- Batman

- Justice League

Those are the only ones that I actually read through. I thoroughly enjoy the newest Justice League stuff and GL is not looking to shabby itself.

- Green Lantern

- Batman

- Batwoman

- Batman: Detective Comics

- Batman & Robin

- Aquaman

- The Flash

- Justice League

- All Star Western

- Swamp Thing

- Animal Man

I have to echo the sentiment for Green Lantern, I am enjoying it. It is a slow burn too, making you wait for the next issue.

Batman is a really great comic and Court of Owls story is pretty cool, a lot of praise from everyone I have spoken too also.

Swamp Thing and Animal Man I would recommend reading them both. They are basically crossing over the whole way and are excellent, especially Swamp Thing. I have yet to hear one bad thing about Animal Man and I agree, it is also creepy at times and you have no idea what is coming next (at least I feel this way).

I am also reading Justice League International which I think is fun (I like Booster Gold though so..) and I just received issues 1-5 of Aquaman, but I have heard nothing but good things about it also. If I had to rank the comics I would say Swamp Thing, Batman, Green Lantern, Animal Man, Justice League International.

I personally find it weird to read GL, Batman and Justice League (which is why I never picked up Justice League) since I get the characters I really like already without having to deal with Superman and crew also. I have also heard that GL is extremely annoying in Justice League and that turns me off. Hope this helps you make a choice!

As someone who doesn't read comic books, and wants to get into them.......how do you even get started?

I know more Marvel characters, if that helps.....but yeah, backstories, alternate timelines, yadda yadda yadda.....kinda blowing my mind a little at the moment.

If you're interested in The Avengers they just came out with a new comic called Avengers Assemble. It's kind of for people who are interested because they heard about the movie I think.

I would echo the sentiment to read Swamp Thing and Animal Man BOTH. They are sort of crossing over, and soon they will totally cross over. Both are beyond excellent. The two best things from either Marvel or DC today in my opinion. It's not on your list, but I would also recommend Justice League Dark. It's not perfect (not close) but it is pretty good. Also the writer of Animal Man is about to take over JLD with issue 8 or 9 and I expect the quality to jump 100 fold.