The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

There is certainly a downside to only reading the Walking Dead through trades. I got the show and the books mixed up a little and people are gone from the book and now I cant remember what the hell happened to them.

Here you go. Helped me out tons when it happened to me. Obvious spoilers to characters in the comic book version of The Walking Dead:

http://walkingdead.w...ries_Characters

Also, discussion about the latest issue of the Walking Dead below:

Looking at the characters who have yet to come up, I stumbled upon Jeffery Grimes who has been mentioned by Lori twice. I can't remember it because it was mentioned off hand, but the page says that he might of had a crush on Lori and never really visited the Grimes family after the marriage. Does anyone think that we'll ever see him? Personally, I feel like we're due for another major story and bringing him in as part of the many other groups in DC and bring up the fact that Lori's dead would easily ensue in a "gang" war of sorts. With the show being one of the biggest shows currently on TV, I can see this series continuing for a good half decade or so, and I'm positive they won't keep them stuck in the community that long.

Just saw a commercial promoting a new comic book show coming out on AMC starting in February. The host is Kevin Smith, and looked like it had like a pod cast type set up. I believe it's called Comic Book Guys. Terrible title, but Kevin Smith is in it, so I'll probably give it a shot.

Edited by hot rod

All right, after having gone through about half of my collection I've found some decent mags and some pretty good mags in terms of both monetary value and actual significance (regardless of monetary value).

What's your top 5 in your collection ?

Not so much monetary rather than significance to me..

1. 1st Print Watchmen #1 Signed by Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons.

2. The Boys #1 Signed by Garth Ennis & Darrick Robertson. I'm a huge huge huge Garth Ennis fan and met him at Comic Con this week, amazing no queue for signings behind me and we had an awesome 10 minute chat about The Boys, Crossed, Fury Max and The Boys movie.

3. New Mutants #87. Signed by Todd McFarlane and Louise Simonson. Just huge for me as I love Cable.

4. X-Men #1 Magneto Varient cover signed by Jim Lee. Queued for hours at comic con this year for this. I was one of the first comics I collected from #1.

5. The Clandestine #1 Collector Issue. Signed by Alan Davis. Just a big love for his work.

No particular order:

Amazing Spider-Man #300

- I'm a Spider Geek and this is one of the key issues to have. I've actually had it for quite a while and for the longest time didn't actually know the significance of it. It's only about a 6.5 grade wise, but I wouldn't give it up for the world.

Spectacular Spider-Man #1 (and 2)

- Same as above, I'm a web-head ... so that's pretty much the explanation.

Tales from the Crypt #32

- Original EC publication. Next door neighbor growing up knew I was into comics and he had two boxes from his child hood. Gave me this (with an original LAUGH comic - Archie) to have in my collection. Just better than readable condition but I have an original EC TFTC comic.

Batman: Vengeance of Bane

- Ended up being a pretty key issue. Picked it up on a whim when my local store was doing a "clearout" of trades and one-shots. Got it for 2 bucks. Condition is about a 9. One of my better "finds" that wasn't exactly meant to be what it turned out being.

Strange Tales #138

- Turns out, it's the 1st appearance of Eternity. No clue when I got it though. Came in a lot with another ST and some mid 100 numbered Fantastic Four books that I got for 10 bucks at an antique store. It also features a Kirby cover and Ditko art inside. Just a nice book.

====== This list will probably change as I finish going through my crap.

Mention Tales of the Crypt reminded me of a pretty sweet comic I have, Gore Shriek #1. The art work is fantastic, and pretty gorey given the title. I was surprised who worked on it too, Stephen Bissette, David Spaulding Fuller and a little known artist at the time called Greg Capullo!

• 2 weeks later...

All right, after having gone through about half of my collection I've found some decent mags and some pretty good mags in terms of both monetary value and actual significance (regardless of monetary value).

What's your top 5 in your collection ?

* Captain America # 100 (1968), the change-over from Tales of Suspense into Cap having his own book and also the team-up with Black Panther that would lead to him replacing Cap in the Avengers

* Cry for Dawn # 3 (1989) signed by Joe Monks and Joseph Michael Linsner back when they still spoke to one another

* Conan Vol. 1 Limited Edition Hardcover (2005) signed by Kurt Busiek

* The Walking Dead Vol. 1 Deluxe Slipcase Hardcover (2005)

* Set of Preacher Vol. 1-9 Trade Paperbacks (1995), not particularly valuable, but very important to me

I used to have a lot more awesomeness, including Amazing Spider-Man # 300, X-Men # 13 (2nd appearance of the Juggernaut, bitch!), X-Men # 14 (1st appearance of the Sentinels), Uncanny X-Men # 201 (1st baby Cable), and a bunch of Golden Age Captain ("Shazam!") Marvels, but I sold them off when I had a chain of shops. Ah, well, no regrets.

I also share HttK's appreciation of 1970s Inhumans. I used to have that whole run and loved it. I'm a sucker for the more sci-fi elements of the Marvel Universe as opposed to capes punching bank robbers in the face.

My top book no question is the 1st appearance of X-23. She is my fave character in all comics.

1. NYX 3: First appearance of X-23

2. Civil War 2: Spiderman unmasked and it's the first book I ever bought.

3. Avengers Annual 10?: First appearance of Rogue

4. Who killed Retro Girl? trade signed by Bendis at my first and only so far :( comic convention. He was nice

5. Batman: Harley Quinn which I believe was her first in comics.

I like getting the 1st story of my favorites :P

• 2 weeks later...

We discussed it in Donators. My stance is "wow, this is a very questionable idea" followed by "wow, Darwyn Cooke is doing Minutemen, I will actually buy that."

*harrumoh* So I shall. Honestly, I can understand why DC did this. Watchmen is one of comics' greatest masterpieces and with the relative success of the movie it probably came unto even more success (I'm not sure on this part, but I imagine the movie did get people who didn't know Watchmen to look for the books).

However, as a fan... I'm not liking this move. I'm not all "boo hiss" about this, but I'll echo sentiments I've already read, including from people in the comics industry... Creatively, what's the point? What can it possibly add to the original books that weren't covered already? I believe every single character was so well established and their past was so well documented that it makes no sense to create a prequel, no matter how talented the people involved may be. I hope I'm proven wrong, wouldn't be the first time and it certainly won't be the last, but honestly? I really don't like this.

What do you guys think?