The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

To move away from this DC reboot talk, I was wondering if there were any good Batman one offs that focused on The Riddler. There are clearly a heap based around The Joker and I've read most of them but I've always been intrigued by Riddler. I don't have the funds to look for long serials but one off like "The Killing Joke" or "The Dark Knight Returns" could be managed. So, do any good ones exist?

I really liked the one that someone (Alan Moore? Neil Gaiman?) did sometime in the early nineties or so that's basically The Riddler reacting to how grim and gritty and dangerous the rest of the Rogues Gallery has become whilst he's still just the guy who leaves riddles for bank heists. It's not the best but it sort of sets up the distinction between Riddler and everyone else really well. He's also featured and used really well in Paul Dini's Detective Comics run (many of which are one-off issues) during the phase where he had reformed and become a private investigator, which was a move I genuinely loved.

• 2 weeks later...

I just signed up to the Marvel Digital Comics thing and despite the fact that it is about a year behind the sheer volume of books is brilliant, I'd definately recommend it as it costs about £30 for a year-long subscription (if you use a discount count).

The entire Ultimate X-Men run is online and I've decided to give it a go and after four issues I'm still undecided. The entire recruitment process is just blitzed through in one issue basically but I'm going to give it time and knowing me I'll probably read through until the very end.

Anyone got any Marvel recomendations from semi-recently? I'm a huge X-Men fan so anything related to that would probably suit me.

Flashpoint - Batman: Knight of Vengeance #2 spoilers:

Huh. Was anyone expecting Martha Wayne to be the Joker? I sure as hell wasn't. I'm liking this new version of Batman, actually. Extremely unpredictable and feels new. Probably the thing I'm liking the most about Flashpoint,

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

I just signed up to the Marvel Digital Comics thing and despite the fact that it is about a year behind the sheer volume of books is brilliant, I'd definately recommend it as it costs about £30 for a year-long subscription (if you use a discount count).

The entire Ultimate X-Men run is online and I've decided to give it a go and after four issues I'm still undecided. The entire recruitment process is just blitzed through in one issue basically but I'm going to give it time and knowing me I'll probably read through until the very end.

Anyone got any Marvel recomendations from semi-recently? I'm a huge X-Men fan so anything related to that would probably suit me.

I don't read many comics these days, but one series that I absolutely loved was Astonishing X-Men, which Wikipedia says began in 2004. It's apparently a pretty popular series though, so you might have already read it I suppose. Still though, for anyone who hasn't read it, it's written by Joss Whedon, illustrated by John Cassaday (not sure if that means anything to comic buffs). Every story arc is great, the illustrations are very good from what I remember, and Whedon characterizes everyone on the team brilliantly. He even got me to care about Shadowcat, a longtime least-favorite mutant of mine.

Post-relaunch Superman spoilers:

Both Ma and Pa Kent will be dead, Superman was never married (which we already knew, at least I know it's been talked about here), in Superman his outfit will be a ceremonial Kryptonian armor, and in Action Comics, which will cover stories of when he was younger, he can't fly, only jump really high, like in the 1930's. And here's the new cover for Action Comics:

AC_Cv1_hiresx_02.jpg

Oh, and of course, there's this little nugget:

Additionally, Superman's alien origins will be emphasized in a big way, with the character described as "more Kal-El from the planet Krypton than Clark Kent from Kansas."

See, doesn't that go against everything Superman stands for? I haven't read Superman in years, but when I read it, he WAS Clark Kent, and while he was respectful of his Kryptonian heritage, he was raised on Earth and always considered himself human. That was the whole point of the character. The single most powerful person in the world who just wanted to fit in as a human because that was the way he was raised.

Sigh. I think I might drop most of the titles I collected from DC altogether, really.

Source.

• 3 weeks later...

Grant Morrison performing a song he claims was written for him by John Lennon when they met while Grant was performing a magic ritual?

Grant Morrison performing a song he claims was written for him by John Lennon when they met while Grant was performing a magic ritual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUo_8KOtVOQ&feature=player_embedded

He's a better guitar player than I would have guessed-- I knew he played from watching his documentary-- but his voice is painfully bad. That said, he has managed a pretty Beatle-y sounding song.

If you guys are fans of the Avengers at all and haven't been watching Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, for shame! It's such a wonderful series. Tons of cameos, great storytelling.. really, one of the best superhero cartoons I've seen since.. since Spectacular Spider-Man stopped airing.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a bit of a random question but does anyone know if there is a website that lists Marvel events in chronological order? I'm using Marvel's Digital Comics and decided to re-read Civil War but looking at their Comic Events section it only lists the main book so what I want is a list of all the tie-in books in a sort of a timeline.

• 4 weeks later...

Probably mentioned elsewhere here, but..

Anyone but me checking out the new House of Mystery series? I for one must say I approve of it completely.

I was a huge fan of the old pure anthology format so as a purist I didn't love Sturges' other narrative with the old name put on it. I collected a lot of the early issues but stopped reading it after a while when the main plot wasn't really grabbing me anymore. I could probably be convinced to pick it up again, I always felt the art was consistent and strong and that'll keep me on a book sometimes.