The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

So the rumors going today in regards to DC are.....

Superman and Lois Lane will not be married, Superman and Wonder Woman are going to hook up, Barbara Gordon will be unparalyzed and be Batgirl again, and this is a complete reboot of continuity pretty much.

So I wouldn't hold your breath on Secret Six being unchanged GoGo.

Well, those all sound tremendously lame (and the third sounds like more "I WANT IT LIKE IT WAS WHEN I WAS A KID" self-indulgence) but I'm holding out hope still because that's all I've got, dammit.

EDIT: And besides, I can accept some deviation from the status quo if Gail Simone is still writing it.

Batwoman debuts in September by the same team that did Batwoman #0.

Here is a list of 10 of the titles and the creative teams taking over the books. Some look okay, most look not so okay.

Gail Simone tweeted that she is working on two new books in September, and not the same two she was working on before, so I assume this means she is off Secret Six.

Is there a comphrehensive list of which 52 titles are being re-booted? I may be tempted to hop onto this, if the characters are cool.

I'm guessing they won't have bothered to continue 'the best character than only timmayy and me read' - Simon Dark.

If I hadn't decided to quit reading comics last June due to financial reasons, I would be quitting right now because of this crap. I'd pretty much given up on Marvel (the only Marvel title I was reading when I stopped was Captain America), and this reboot which includes some costume redesigns is just plain dumb.

My sneaking suspicion is that it will bomb, most of the rebooted titles will be `unrebooted', and DC will claim it was meant to be temporary all along.

Meh, if people really stop and think about this, its actually a really smart move on DC's part to reboot there titles and its not like its the first time something like this has happened, the Goldern and Silver ages both say hello guys. They realize that they have a new generation of fanbases to reach out to and instead of confusing them with years of storylines, why not just start fresh? Sure, its a slap in the face to diehard followers of there titles, but for every fan they may lose, I'm sure they'll pick up a ton more new fans, 'cause to be quite honest the most common question asked in a comic book shop is "I'm interested in such and such title (i.e. Green Arrow), wheres the best place to start reading to get into the storylines/comic?".

Personally, I'll wait to see how it plays out before giving up on the idea, like I said it isn' the first time its been done, won't be the last, and its just a matter of how everythings handled.

I don't see this as a bad thing at all. Maybe I would if I were particularly invested in the DC Universe, but I'm not. I'll actually be picking up several of the #1's (based on exactly what the new series are) and when they start to come out I won't have brought a comic in just under two years (moved out so I had less free cash and got hugely bored with Marvel whom I read FAR more than DC and others) I surely can't be alone in the world in this, I must represent a larger demographic of people who will come back to comics with this and who might stick around if the stories and the writing are good. It's also a perfect start for people to jump into Superman, Batman, Wonder-Woman etc without having to deal with the muddy waters of decades of continuity.

Of course, if in a few months they just run an event that sets everything back, I'll be pissed.

Anyone read The Boys? I love Ennis' work on Punisher MAX and Preacher, but I've heard mixed things about The Boys.

First volume was good. Second I got halfway through and thought it was pants and stopped. Though I know folk who love the second volume...

I'm loving the idea of the DC reset, as I've been wanting to get into the DCU for quite some time but never seemed an appropriate time to jump right in for someone who has very limited knowledge of DC stuff (as opposed to Marvel where I've been a diehard reader for most of my life).

So yeah, I'm pretty excited by this premise.

Honestly, I never had a problem with any of that. I just started picking TPBs up from the library, read whatever was there, and bought a few comics here and there and stuck with the stuff that was grabbing me (I started reading around the time Identity Crisis started up). DC by and large really isn't that much more complicated than Marvel so much as Marvel's a little easier to get into because they've done a better job of getting much of their characters ingrained in the public consciousness.

Admittedly, though, I don't even know what the deal with Brightest Day is. That was a bit much.

Brightest Day was just a mess...point blank period, you'd have to be a hardcore DC fan to follow that storyline IMO, since alot of the major players seemed to nothing but C-listers that I can remember.

That, and I was highly invested in the Boston Brand/Dove storyline, and was let down at the storylines conclusion to say the least. It totally just seemed to be a swerve for the sake of having one and was just a slap in the face.

Yeah. I tried to read Brightest Day and gave up after like seven issues. But then that was also because I thought they had killed off Miss Martian which seemed entirely possible due to DC's fetish for killing off the majority of characters they've introduced within the last ten years.

Bat-family news regarding the DC reboot:

Bruce Wayne will be the only man in the Batman mask following the September relaunch of all DC Comics' superhero titles. Batman & Robin and Batman: The Dark Knight will begin again with new #1 issues, as will Batman for the first time since 1940 and Detective Comics for the first time since 1937. Damian Wayne will return as Robin but will be teamed up with his father, Bruce Wayne. What will become of Dick Grayson, Tim Drake, or Batman Incorporated remains unconfirmed, but an announcement is expected later this week.

The news came via IGN, where a DC representative is quoted as saying that Grant Morrison, the architect of the Batman line for the last several years, "will indeed be involved in the September relaunch." IGN also, apparently accidentally, included cover images for new series of Batgirl, Catwoman and the previously announced Batwoman.

UPDATE via IGN: Batgirl will be written by Gail Simone with artwork by Ardian Syaf and Vicente Cifuentes and covers by Adam Hughes; Catwoman will be written by Judd Winick with art and covers by Guillem March; and Birds of Prey will be will be written Duane Swierczynski with art by Jesus Saiz.

Batman group editor Mike Marts told IGN that "story first" and "accessibility" will be DC's priorities with the Batman titles, and that Dick Grayson, the former Robin who recently ascended to the mantle of Batman, will no longer be behind any kind of Batman mask.

"In both Batman and Detective, Bruce Wayne is going to be the main star as Batman," Marts confirmed. "Bruce Wayne will once again be the only character to be wearing the Batman costume."

Perhaps also part of the same philosophy, it appears as though Barbara Gordon will return to her original role as Batgirl, a move that would not come without some controversy.

Source: Comics Alliance

The source site also has covers for several books.

So, Wayne is the only Batman again, Damien is still Robin, Dick and Tim are nowhere to be found as of yet, Barbara Gordon apparently is miraculously walking again and going back about twenty years in time, and Poison Ivy is in the Birds of Prey.

I honestly am not liking the reboot one bit, ever since it was announced, and this just adds fuel to the fire, especially the

Barbara = Batgirl

thing.

Shit, at least they're acknowledging that something of consequence happened in Batman comics in the last twenty years. Everything else is just regressive bullshit, especially the thing Johnny pointed out.