(Who Watches) The Watchmen Thread

GoGo Yubari

41 minutes ago, Rey Cloudy said:

We talkin' about...

Hide contents

Jeremy Irons, aka "Lord of a Country Manor", aka...

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

That's it, yeah. It's a reasonably long scene but it's completely unconnected to the rest of the episode so it's easier to forget.

HBO has a site that seems like it'll be putting out supplemental material to help fill the gaps/give context for what happened between 1985 and 2019 for those who want it. Of particular note...

Spoiler

The "Rorschach's Journal" entry basically gives a primer on what happened to the journal Rorschach mailed out and further details what happened to Silk Spectre and Nite-Owl after the graphic novel ended.

• Like 2

Gotta' admit I feel a bit dumb because I thought it was 

Spoiler

Dr. Manhattan and he had somehow disguised himself as a human being that's aged or something because he called his play the Watchmaker's Son. 

That it's Oxymandias makes so much more sense :lol:

Question about the squid rain:

Spoiler

Did they mention who's causing that? Is it Oxymandias or the government to keep up the propaganda?

They haven't explained the squid rain yet, no. I don't think even the supplemental stuff gives a real answer either. Also yay it's been two days so I don't have to spoiler tag everything.

Good to know that Lindelof wasn't yanking our chain about Jean Smart's role, then.

Oh, and the subreddit for Watchmen is a treasure trove of easter eggs/maybe spoilers for the future. Like... did you recognize the structures that Sister Night's kid and Dr. Manhattan both built? You should, because it's the castle that Jeremy Iron's character lives in.

Edited by tristy

14 hours ago, Ruki said:

Her kids...

Reveal hidden contents

My volume was off tonight, likely because of the dryer running. Couldn't hear the more quiet interactions.

That’s correct, yeah.

• Like 1

I was pretty skeptical when I saw promotion for this show, as I really dislike when shows try to be "topical and relevant" by being "this time, the while male is to blame!" (part of why STD bugs me so much) but the writing and the scenario just seems very believable and plausible, and I really like that, like in the original source material, there really isn't a good side here; look at Red Scare. It's a realistic scenario where you see violence leads to violence leads to violence and the only outcome seems to be more violence in the future.

The only thing everyone can agree on is that Jeremy Irons is creepy and gross.

My only real issue would be the soundtrack, it's good, but it seems weirdly out of place. Watchmen has a sort of weird retrofuturistic vibe to me and the music does seem to be on the side of too futuristic, or the score does anyway. The licensed music works fine, really appreciate "Unforgettable" coming back, that was probably one of the best scenes from the film so good to call back to it. I do really like the score, it reminds me a lot of the score for The Social Network for obvious reasons, but I feel like it will be much better listening on it's own whereas it very much fit the vibe of the story in TSN.

So far so good and I am aboard.

I'm convinced that Judd was either behind White Night, or at least a part of it. I think he shot Angela - but it begs the question, who was the third and last survivor? We also learn in this episode that Judd's wife was a political advisor at one point to John David Keene's son, who is the Senator we met in that scene at the Crawford house before Angela finds the KKK outfit. Also, a little fun fact from the Peteypedia that HBO releases after the episodes: Crawford served under Bob Mueller (yes, THAT Mueller) in Vietnam. Other fun facts: Johnnie Cochran was one of the lawyers that was crucial to getting reparations for the Tulsa massacre.

Spoiler

Jeremy Irons is Ozymandias, and the weird housekeepers are clones (or something) of Jon Osterman and Janey Slater. There's also previews of upcoming episodes that show a mock trial inside the mansion, where Irons is wearing the Ozymandias outfit. So...

Oh, and Will Reeves, the guy in the wheelchair, is totally Hooded Justice. He somehow hung a man despite being confined to a wheelchair, and felt no pain when he fished that hardboiled egg out of the pan of boiling hot water. Plus, Hooded Justice framed a circus strongman (and killed him) so he could disappear.

Here's a detailed breakdown of the Peteypedia files, pulled from the r/Watchmen subreddit. It's in spoilers because it's pretty long.

Spoiler
  • This is an article from the Washington Post-Intelligencer and written by a "Ben Woodward." Obviously in this universe the Washington Post has a slightly different name, and the reporter's name is a clear nod to Bob Woodward, who broke Watergate.
  • So the public is unaware that the police authorized a firearms release, and therefore do not know why.
  • Not only this, but the department is declining to comment on the authorization, as well as whether or not Judd has been killed.
  • I'm not sure if we already knew this, but masking was implemented in 2017.
  • It's worth noting that Joseph Keene Jr., the senator Angela met at the party and whom the guys at the newsstand were discussing, is a close friend of the Crawfords. Possible he knows about Judd's past.
  • DOPA is the emergency amendment to the Keene Act (authored by Joseph Jr.'s father) that authorized masking.
  • Mr. Crawford was one of three survivors of the White Night. We know the second is Angela, but who is the third?
  • Following the White Night, Crawford went from lieutenant to interim chief, then after successful police actions against the Kavalry, was appointed full-time. I'm wondering if he was a part of the White Night, in order to gain power from the inside?
  • DOPA requires police department leadership to not wear masks.
  • Judd served under Mueller (yes, that one) in the Liberation of Vietnam and recieved multiple commendations for bravery.
  • Fun fact: Judd had a brief stint in the pro-rodeo circuit before joining the Oklahoma County Sheriff's Department in 1980.
  • It's at this time met Joseph Keene while working security detail for his father.
  • He's a fourth generation police officer. His great-grandfather was a renowned "cowboy marshal", his grandfather had a 55-year career in the Tulsa County Sheriff's Department, and his father was an Oklahoma HIghway Patrol officer who died in the line of duty in 1994.
  • His father had a twin brother named Lionel, who was also a cop who worked in the South and the East coast.

Masked Vigilantes in Popular Culture

• American Hero Story is on its second season, so while it's not a new show, it's only been running since last year, shortly after DOPA passed.
  • The FBI, Agent Petey in particular, is rather concerned with how sensationalized and historically innacurate American Hero Story is. He's worried that people will start to see the Minutemen and Watchmen as heroic idols, and not the flawed people they really were.
  • The cable network AHS plays on refuses to provide the FBI review copies, so they have no idea what the content is.
  • Season 1 focused completely on Rorschach, while Season 2 will be focusing on the Minutemen, with the first episode dealing with Hooded Justice (as we saw).
  • It's worth noting that Hooded Justice is unclassifiable on the Werthem Spectrum that this universe's FBI classifies people with.
  • Hollis Mason (the original Nite Owl) is classified as a Thrillseeker/Romantic on the WS
  • We saw in the last episode that the show is going with the narrative that Hooded Justice killed a man named Rolf Muller, and framed him as Hooded Justice so he could disappear. This is a dangerous thing to try to sell the public as fact.
  • The show is apparently very left-leaning, and it's a concern that the show's views of The Comedian will anger his fans.
  • Apparently there was a short-lived space rock band in the 90s called the Sons of Pale Horse, named after the popular death metal group that perished during the DIE. They are re-releasing an album called The Book of Rorschach, based on Rorschach's journal, on November 4th (2 days after the DIE's 24th anniversary).
  • The album was popular in the early 2000s as it was controversial, and appeals to people categorized as Objectivist/Messianic and Paramilitary/Nihilist on the WS. To give reference to these types of people, Rorschach would have been Objectivist, while The Comedian was Nihilistic.
  • The Seventh Kavalry loved The Book of Rorschach. Several first editions were found in their homes during raids that followed the White Night.
  • The record's re-release comes with an essay written by Seymour David, the man who discovered Rorschach's journal.
  • David used the fame from discovering the journal to launch a career as a scholar of post-modern culture; Petey has met the man and is not impressed in the slightest.
  • Petey has a doctorate in History.
  • Petey is worried the rerelease will spark a renewed interest in Rorschach.

The Road to Reparations

• Not much in this one in terms of how clear connections can be made between this in the show, but it's worth a read.
  • This is the case that granted descendants of victims of the massacre reparations (or "Redfordations", as we've heard). It seems it was a long road to get here, and there were a lot of legal hoops they had to jump through so long after the actual event.
  • Johnnie Cochran (OJ's lawyer) was the attorney on this case.
  • This is the second time that Birth of a Nation has been referenced by these files. As it romanticized the Ku Klux Klan, and as we now know that Judd has some sort of history with them, this may be important.
  • This docket directly points to Birth of a Nation as a key factor in the massacre.
  • They talk about how it would be inconceivable for the government to not count the death toll from the DIE, yet we have no idea how many died in this massacre.
  • Apparently the only actions the government took with the massacre were actually detrimental ones. They deputized and armed the mob ("effectively creating a vigilante police force"), and authorized the National Guard to detain victims while the white supremacists razed Greenwood. Immediately following the massacre, survivors were left to fix the community themselves.
  • It's interesting that they point to the armed mob and call them a "vigilante police force." Obviously that is exactly what the police are in Tulsa, so I'll be interested to see what parallels they draw between the mob in Tulsa in 1921 and the police in Tulsa in 2019.

6 hours ago, Benjamin said:

OH! Also, 

Hide contents

Anyone know what the hell is going on with the Game Warden? That was so random, especially when they specifically mention the Lone Ranger this week. 

Maybe...

Someone/himself created the Game Warden to keep him from straying too far and going into the real world? The man has clearly lost his marbles.