What were the five most important video games to you throughout your youth/teen years?

Benji

Sim City for SNES,  even though it took me until 2014 to finally get a Megalopolous (500,000 citizens) lol

Tetris, any version really

Mario Kart, again any version

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

WWF No Mercy

• Like 1

CM 01/02 - when I was a teenager I didn't have a good enough computer to play the new Football Manager games.

Grand Theft Auto San Andreas

Guitar Hero 2 - I never owned this game but my group of friends in my last year at school used to meet to play it almost every weekend. Played it a lot with my new flatmates when I moved away for university the next year too.

Europa Universalis 3

Red Dead Redemption -  I was a very late teen when this came out, but the significance of this game for me and the amount of time I spent playing it more than justifies its playing.

I didn't play many games at all in my late teens with the exception of the latter three: it was when I was 21 and bought a PS3 (several years late) that I got into some games again.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JMarushin said:

Que?

Promotion Wars was the 'Rival' to EWD, the precursor to EWR. The Promotion Wars web forums were the first forums I joined online. I was a forum moderator and then a general moderator. When Promotion Wars went under, the forums slowed to a crawl and eventually folded. A bunch of us jumped ship to what was then EWB2 I believe. I never really played EWR much, but I missed the forums community, and with a bunch of us coming over together it didn't feel that weird. On the Promotion Wars forums I learned how to do graphic design, which is how I got into my job. Those graphic design skills are how I now do cross-stitch. Which is how I got in the news, and what I'm most well known for. Without Promotion Wars I wouldn't be here, and this forum has fostered some genuine real life friendships. I've met EWB people, stayed in their homes, been to their weddings, sent christmas presents to their kids and even mourned some of their deaths. I have no idea where I would be without Promotion Wars, but it is undoubtedly the video game that most influenced my life.

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, JMarushin said:

Que?

Promotion Wars was around before EWD which was around before EWR which was around before TEW which was around before this version of EWB was a thing.

A lot of people who have been on EWB since before EWB was EWB came from The Promotion Wars Forums, which were sort of like a rival in the same way that Bellator and UFC were rivals.

Also what K said.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Admin
6 minutes ago, K said:

Promotion Wars was the 'Rival' to EWD, the precursor to EWR. The Promotion Wars web forums were the first forums I joined online. I was a forum moderator and then a general moderator. When Promotion Wars went under, the forums slowed to a crawl and eventually folded. A bunch of us jumped ship to what was then EWB2 I believe. I never really played EWR much, but I missed the forums community, and with a bunch of us coming over together it didn't feel that weird. On the Promotion Wars forums I learned how to do graphic design, which is how I got into my job. Those graphic design skills are how I now do cross-stitch. Which is how I got in the news, and what I'm most well known for. Without Promotion Wars I wouldn't be here, and this forum has fostered some genuine real life friendships. I've met EWB people, stayed in their homes, been to their weddings, sent christmas presents to their kids and even mourned some of their deaths. I have no idea where I would be without Promotion Wars, but it is undoubtedly the video game that most influenced my life.

We need a heart reaction button. :wub: 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, K said:

I wouldn't be here without Promotion Wars either. Great game! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, K said:

Woah! You were were the PW Forums?! Might have been before me, but it was also the place I started my internet forum-ing. 

But for my own list!

Final Fantasy VIII

Civilization III

Metal Gear Solid 3

(Youth) Super Mario 3

(Youth) Pokemon Red

(Teen) Smackdown HCTP

(Teen) Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (really helped form my music tastes)

• Like 1

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - Probably the most influential shooter of my teen years, I distinctly remember it being the one big beta that everyone wanted to get into at the time when I think there wasn't many public betas going around and playing the full game non stop for what felt like eons but was probably only until Rainbow Six: Vegas came out (Almost made it onto my list in its own right) Vacant and Backlot were so ingrained into my memory I was able to pick up where I left off when isolation afforded me the opportunity to get into the new MW and not be completely shit from the off

Fallout 3 - Ah yes, My one true love. Might be slightly biased as im currently in the process of replaying this now but it definitely deserves to be here on it's own merits, Despite the obvious played it a whole bunch it sparked a long running obsession with the series for me that obviously continues to this day, Anyone that visits my home now is quick to notice my Fallout shrine, Mini-Nuke, Pipboy and all. Also lead to a lifelong friendship, Which as I get older I realize holds a lot more weight then it probably sounds written here.

NASCAR Racing 2003 Season - A weird one to be sure but during my depressive teen years I logged literally thousands of hours on this sim, Practicing for and competing in league races every week just to make it through every week, In addition to that it also changed my life dramatically, I honestly don't know where i'd be had I not met my first housemate through this. Another lifelong friend met through games. goddamn. But despite me getting rid of my wheel years ago this is still one I wish I could hop on to this day, Especially considering all these pro drivers running in these iRacing leagues (the spiritual successor to NR) during the sports downtime.

Smackdown: Here Comes the Pain/EWR - I can't pick between the two and this is a wrestling board, Shut up 😒

Pokemon Gold - I'd gamed plenty as a kid sure but nothing caught my imagination like Gold did, I vividly remember getting it prior to a camping trip so I wouldn't bother the adults and falling prey to the classic "play it via street lamp light as they fly by". The actual grind of all grinds to level up my Feraligatr to 100 before the days of exp share was a early highlight of mine, Basically being able to slap down anything I fought in one hit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, K said:

PromWars is how I then discovered EW, and this forum. I think it was the ancient board just before it moved to the more modern board. I still kind of miss the old style. I definitely miss the orange skin.

27 minutes ago, K said:

Wasn't ExpAll in Gen1 and 2?

SON OF A BITCH!

10 year old Slogger, Adult Slogger wants to have a word with you.

1 minute ago, Slogger said:

SON OF A BITCH!

10 year old Slogger, Adult Slogger wants to have a word with you.

hey man i may be misremembering. I've been laying a hacked version of Gen2 recently, and it's certainly in there.

15 minutes ago, K said:

hey man i may be misremembering. I've been laying a hacked version of Gen2 recently, and it's certainly in there.

Nah man you're bang on the money, Checked Bulbapedia. Dumb kid that I was somehow found a way to miss it.

So many wasted hours 😪

Edited by Slogger
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

I THINK on Facebook I said:

Metal Gear Solid

Sensible World of Soccer

Monkey Island

Tomb Raider 2

....and now I can't remember the other one. 😔

I'm just going to steal this, add a /2 to Monkey Island as I can't pick between them, drop in Theme Hospital and change out Tomb Raider 2 for Colonisation. Which I know is inferior to Civ, but I loved the theming and the music.

Oh, and MGS out for Championship Manager (more for timescale than anything).

Teens we're talking 4 player Goldeneye, Crash Team Racing and somewhere in the ISS/Pro Evo crossover era.