What were the five most important video games to you throughout your youth/teen years?

Benji

I've often wondered what sorts of games I'd be playing if I were a child now. I doubt I'd be into online multiplayer games because I was so anxious, and I probably wouldn't have been creative enough to get a lot out of Minecraft. I'm not sure I'd have been into console games at all really, except perhaps for something like Super Mario Odyssey.

25 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I've often wondered what sorts of games I'd be playing if I were a child now. I doubt I'd be into online multiplayer games because I was so anxious, and I probably wouldn't have been creative enough to get a lot out of Minecraft. I'm not sure I'd have been into console games at all really, except perhaps for something like Super Mario Odyssey.

Minecraft, mobile games. 

26 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

You'd be playing Fortnite and backpack dancing your way to school every morning, don't lie.

The Legend of Zelda:  Was one of the first games I had when we bought a NES back when I was...9?  10?  Somewhere in there..

Need for Speed 3: Hot Pursuit:  Was never really a fan of racing games, but NFS3 taught me that I just love arcade racers over racing sims like Gran Turismo

Grand Theft Auto 3:  Do I really need to say anything about this?

Metal Gear Solid:  Literally bought a PS1 just for this game.  Bought a modded PS1 with 4 games, two controllers and 2 memory cards off my friend Justin for $150 because he needed money to pay car insurance

Sid Meier's Civilization:  Trying to remember what version I first played at my friend Lukes.  Looking at the list of versions of the Civ1, its probably the MacOS version in 1993, but could also be the Amiga version from 1992

• Like 1

On 22/05/2020 at 20:46, Naitch said:

Smackdown vs. Raw 2007 - This is the game that got me into wrestling.

I feel like I need to expand on this one a bit more. Without it I wouldn't...

1. be on EWB. My enjoyment of GM mode, and its absence from SvR 2009, is undoubtedly what led me here in search of a replacement. Being on here led me to interact with @The Munchies, which eventually led to a much greater impact on my life than either of us could possibly have imagined when I turned up at his first DOA show with a shitty digital camera to take photos at ringside. I still have these photos, which include a very young looking Kip Sabian. It also gave me the opportunity to meet many of you lovely people, and create some great memories at various PTTS events over the years.

2. have encountered WAW. I can't imagine what my life would be like right now if I hadn't thrown myself into the company back in early 2015. My life felt like it was crumbling, despite my best efforts, and keeping myself around people, as well as regular exercise and generally giving myself purpose definitely kept me in check. I'd learned that the camera crew, who Munchies also used for DOA, needed an extra body for WAW's big weekends in Norwich and I blagged my way into it by referencing my Media Studies A Level. Five years later and I'm basically part of the furniture; I run the website, have a key advisory role in all things online, and have performed every role in wrestling I can think of except for referee, agent, and manager. I've also made many friends and met lots of well-known wrestling personalities over the years. I still find it bizarre that I can say Steve Corino attended my 21st birthday party and that I've had multiple casual trips to Wetherspoons with Scott Hall.

3. work in marketing. In addition to starting camera work for WAW in 2015, I'd also noticed a distinct lack of social media output from them in the previous year. It was this interest that led to my decision to do an MSc in marketing, because American Studies didn't feel like it had direct employability. The combination of WAW and my masters inadvertently led to my first actual marketing job which, although ultimately very disappointing, has helped me establish myself as an employable marketer capable of successful job interviews purely based on my own merit. While there I added quite a few more encounters with well-known people thanks, including Chris Eubank, Newton Faulkner, and Brian McFadden. Since then, I've branched out into more typical marketing roles but added a wealth of knowledge and skills which have ultimately brought me into my current (furloughed) role. These skills have helped me help a lot of people, and given me an opportunity to continue doing so throughout what will almost certainly be a lifelong career.

• Like 1

So, this is going to be an interesting list...

1. Tekken 2- I first got into video games playing with my best friend who lived across the road. Just a terrific fighting game, with a lot of variety. 

2. Destruction Derby 2- this was one of the first games I played on my own Playstation.

3. WWF Attitude- playing this probably helped me get into wrestling.

4. GTA Vice City- I've played every GTA, but this was the first open world GTA I played, and I spent many hours in that game world.

5. Pro Evolution Soccer- I'd obviously played FIFA 99 a lot, but PES was so different at that time- and superior! 

2 hours ago, Naitch said:

I feel like I need to expand on this one a bit more. Without it I wouldn't...

1. be on EWB. My enjoyment of GM mode, and its absence from SvR 2009, is undoubtedly what led me here in search of a replacement. Being on here led me to interact with @The Munchies, which eventually led to a much greater impact on my life than either of us could possibly have imagined when I turned up at his first DOA show with a shitty digital camera to take photos at ringside. I still have these photos, which include a very young looking Kip Sabian. It also gave me the opportunity to meet many of you lovely people, and create some great memories at various PTTS events over the years.

2. have encountered WAW. I can't imagine what my life would be like right now if I hadn't thrown myself into the company back in early 2015. My life felt like it was crumbling, despite my best efforts, and keeping myself around people, as well as regular exercise and generally giving myself purpose definitely kept me in check. I'd learned that the camera crew, who Munchies also used for DOA, needed an extra body for WAW's big weekends in Norwich and I blagged my way into it by referencing my Media Studies A Level. Five years later and I'm basically part of the furniture; I run the website, have a key advisory role in all things online, and have performed every role in wrestling I can think of except for referee, agent, and manager. I've also made many friends and met lots of well-known wrestling personalities over the years. I still find it bizarre that I can say Steve Corino attended my 21st birthday party and that I've had multiple casual trips to Wetherspoons with Scott Hall.

3. work in marketing. In addition to starting camera work for WAW in 2015, I'd also noticed a distinct lack of social media output from them in the previous year. It was this interest that led to my decision to do an MSc in marketing, because American Studies didn't feel like it had direct employability. The combination of WAW and my masters inadvertently led to my first actual marketing job which, although ultimately very disappointing, has helped me establish myself as an employable marketer capable of successful job interviews purely based on my own merit. While there I added quite a few more encounters with well-known people thanks, including Chris Eubank, Newton Faulkner, and Brian McFadden. Since then, I've branched out into more typical marketing roles but added a wealth of knowledge and skills which have ultimately brought me into my current (furloughed) role. These skills have helped me help a lot of people, and given me an opportunity to continue doing so throughout what will almost certainly be a lifelong career.

Did you take the place of Delta Goodrem and sing Almost Here with Brian McFadden?

• Like 2

• GTA San Andreas
  • The Last of Us
  • Fallout New Vegas
  • FM 2012
  • Pokemon Silver

Probably not accurately answering the question as I was 9 when Pokemon SIlver came out and 21 when The Last of Us came out but these are the important ones that spanned my lifetime. I'd probably throw one of the FIFAs in there too. I used to play those religiously around 09/10 and was pretty good at them competitively online, but they didn't stick with me! FM 2012 gets the nod because it's the one I put the most hours into and I feel it peaked then.

• 3 weeks later...

Pokemon Red

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (Played this game so much I wore out my disk)

WWF No Mercy

WCW/NWO Revenge

Super Smash Brothers (Literally an entire summer spent playing this game with my friends. Every.Single.Day.)

• Like 1